Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GMC Canyon
Ford Bronco Sport I have a VIN number! 5A5EDEA7-BB68-4B7F-A158-2A3C65512DF6

Just got off the phone with Ford. It’s actually not so complicated. Every day, a random employee is selected to choose from the “bronco sport jar”. Yellow is badlands, blue is outer banks, pink is big bend, red is base, and grey is first edition respectively. Hope this helps!
Sponsored

Alderg

Big Bend
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Volvo S70
My “first sight” was the video reveal. I have not seen it in person yet. With that said, I’m not waiting for drive reviews or anymore communication. Im waiting for my order to be delivered so I can give them my money.

People on lease or need to replace need to ask themself.. with the information I have currently, is this worth the wait or my money. It’s yes or no. If it’s no, go with an alternative that provides more information and instant delivery.

I personally need a replacement. I’m fortunate to be in a situation where I can borrow a family members vehicle that isn’t in use until I get mine. I can’t see out the back window, barely can see out the front window, can’t go over 65 unless I want to stall, right side mirror was replaced with what looks like a toy mirror that has zero visibility, and drives poorly. But I’m fortunate I have something to get me from a to b during the week until my bronco sport gets here. I personally have enough information making it well worth the wait for me.
In the same boat... transmission slipping, bad MAF... just praying it lasts until the day I drive on the lot to pick up my BS!!

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
I would like a new storm chase vehicle before April, but I have an almost poverty-level budget. I have to make a good choice for a daily driver and some 1-2 feet water crossings / 4x4 use when chasing. I cannot afford 2 vehicles. I'd go as high as 50k for the right vehicle as I've been saving for 3 years and my old Xterra is still worth about 8k. My loan payments would still be around $500.00 per month.

Having said this, I need to make the **right** choice. I'm not 100% sold on the BS yet. I still need to see 3rd. party reviews and drive the vehicle in person. I'm really wondering why there have been zero vehicles released to Motor Trend, Car and Driver, etc., for reviews. They have taken automotive journalists on rides, but won't let them drive. This is a little odd.

Anything from poor corner steering characteristics to acceleration hesitation are deal breakers. I'm also BIG time concerned about gas prices down the line -- which only recently became a good possibility.

So I'm in no hurry to get a build date or VIN. I suspect July reservations will be coming in late December though February and my August order in March or April. By then, we should have a really good idea of how the BS works. Regardless, my dealer says they will be happy to cancel the order even after it arrives.

The only two other vehicles I'm considering right now are a used Explorer hybrid and a new Rav4 Prime, but I'd lose most of my off-road requirements in exchange for fuel considerations.

Chap

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda MX-5
I have a confirmed order day of 07/29. Anyone get a build date with a similar order date?

Really want to know as the car I was replacing has died and wondering if we can last with just one car until delivery.

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
It is being released to reviewers as we speak. We will start hearing their opinions around December 7.

But just so know.. it will drive better than the Xterra you currently drive. It will also get better mpg. The xterra ground clearance is 8.2-9.5. So the xterra has under 2 centimeters (.7”) ground clearance advantage over the badlands...

My point is if the xterra worked for you, the bronco sport will also.. unless you have a towing requirement, then you are down grading.
Good points. However, the Xterra is 178.8" long and the Sport is 172.7." That may not seem like a lot, but with the seats folded down in the Xterra and the driver seat forward, I can sleep in it. I'm not so sure it will work in the Sport. I'm not resorting to hauling around a tent! This is a big deal.

The acceleration response in the Xterra is 100% positive. The response in the Sport is still unknown. I'm not a fan of poor throttle response / hesitation and it would be a 100% deal breaker, especially with a lot of highway driving / passing in bad conditions. The Kia Telluride is a great vehicle with 291 hp, but the throttle response has been called "dangerous." I have found a company that can permanently disconnect the on / off engine on the BS. Throttle response is also the number one complaint with the 4Runner and the Tacoma.

DropTheWorld

First Edition
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
A dealer measured on video with seats folded and driver seat pushed almost all the way forward and got 72” so there is over 6 feet of possible sleeping area.

I also want a good throttle response. After reading the goat modes post a few days ago and testing out my wife’s drive modes on her vehicle... I’m assuming sport mode will have the best throttle response.
You got a link for that vid? I've yet to see someone try to lay down in the back. Having someone measure is the next best thing.

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
There is plenty of time to test drive and measure before I buy, so we will see. Thanks for posting the video.

Although there has been a lot of emphasis and videos on "off-road" and "interior" capabilities, which seem impressive, for some odd reason, I have not seen a single video of anyone putting the BS through highway handing, including braking, high speed cornering, evasive steering, 0-60, etc. I saw a post on another discussion site requesting nighttime headlamp proficiency -- another important thing on the check list. I'm sure it's just a matter of getting a Badlands in the right hands, but that video would be a very positive boost since a lot of people will be using the Sport as a daily driver also.

Last edited:

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
Good points. However, the Xterra is 178.8" long and the Sport is 172.7." That may not seem like a lot, but with the seats folded down in the Xterra and the driver seat forward, I can sleep in it. I'm not so sure it will work in the Sport. I'm not resorting to hauling around a tent! This is a big deal.

The acceleration response in the Xterra is 100% positive. The response in the Sport is still unknown. I'm not a fan of poor throttle response / hesitation and it would be a 100% deal breaker, especially with a lot of highway driving / passing in bad conditions. The Kia Telluride is a great vehicle with 291 hp, but the throttle response has been called "dangerous." I have found a company that can permanently disconnect the on / off engine on the BS. Throttle response is also the number one complaint with the 4Runner and the Tacoma.
You could probably go test drive an Escape with the 2.0L Ecoboost and that throttle response should be similar...

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
There is plenty of time to test drive and measure before I buy, so we will see. Thanks for posting the video.

Although there has been a lot of emphasis and videos on "off-road" and "interior" capabilities, which seem impressive, for some odd reason, I have not seen a single video of anyone putting the BS through highway handing, including braking, high speed cornering, evasive steering, 0-60, etc. I saw a post on another discussion site requesting nighttime headlamp proficiency -- another important thing on the check list. I'm sure it's just a matter of getting a Badlands in the right hands, but that video would be a very positive boost since a lot of people will be using the Sport as a daily driver also.
Those regular testing will most likely be available Dec 7th.

Econoline

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL Carbonized Gray, steelies+tow+360
The Xterra seems superior in almost every way to the BS, being a true body on frame with real 4wd and a V6. If it was still being produced I'd be driving an Xterra today. The Xterra competed with the 4Runner in that category.

As far as sleeping in the back of the BS, based on my experience with the '07 Escape, 6' should be possible in the back with the front seat pushed fully forward. The Xterra is 6" longer than the BS and wheelbase is 1" greater, so we don't know for certain yet on interior length.

My big concern is that the rear seat of the BS will not fold flat enough to allow comfortable sleeping. The pictures I have seen, like the one with bikes in the back, show a significant angle to the seat back. It may go flatter when weighted but I won't believe completely flat until I see it for myself. Without a flat cargo area for sleeping, you would have to remove half of the rear seat and improvise a platform or cot arrangement back there, which is what the Gen 5 4Runner guys have to do.

I have found a company that can permanently disconnect the on / off engine on the BS. Throttle response is also the number one complaint with the 4Runner and the Tacoma.
There's a company that makes a dongle to disable Auto Start-Stop on the Escape, so I'm sure that will be available for the BS too, I think it was $99. It unplugs to restore normal (abnormal) operation for warranty purposes.

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
The Xterra seems superior in almost every way to the BS, being a true body on frame with real 4wd and a V6. If it was still being produced I'd be driving an Xterra today. The Xterra competed with the 4Runner in that category.

As far as sleeping in the back of the BS, based on my experience with the '07 Escape, 6' should be possible in the back with the front seat pushed fully forward. The Xterra is 6" longer than the BS and wheelbase is 1" greater, so we don't know for certain yet on interior length.

My big concern is that the rear seat of the BS will not fold flat enough to allow comfortable sleeping. The pictures I have seen, like the one with bikes in the back, show a significant angle to the seat back. It may go flatter when weighted but I won't believe completely flat until I see it for myself. Without a flat cargo area for sleeping, you would have to remove half of the rear seat and improvise a platform or cot arrangement back there, which is what the Gen 5 4Runner guys have to do.

There's a company that makes a dongle to disable Auto Start-Stop on the Escape, so I'm sure that will be available for the BS too, I think it was $99. It unplugs to restore normal (abnormal) operation for warranty purposes.
Yes, I contacted the company that makes the Auto Start-Stop and they are sure it will work. Oddly, I have seen pictures of the rear seats laying completely flat, and not, so it might be a Badlands vs. other models. We will see.

I do believe the Xterra will be re-introduced in 2022 as a hybrid or EV based on the new Frontier update. I don't see gas-guzzling dinosaurs like the 4Runner having a much longer life span considering looming fuel prices. This may be the reason there has been no major update.

Last edited:

MattH88

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I know FEs and BL are first up, but curious if anyone has received a build date for a Big Bend trim?
Sponsored