How to mount light bar and run wires?

BroncoBrusier

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Hey ALL! I am looking to get a light bar on top of my roof. I am considering all options. I am wondering how the wires run and if the Broncos have wiring already pre done for this. The picture below on mine I noticed this on drivers side windshield is this telling me it is ready to go? Please share your setup and light bar you did if you have and any pics. Thanks

Ford Bronco Sport How to mount light bar and run wires? tempImageOud9PX
Sponsored

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
Interested in seeing where your thread goes OP.
Started to research this a bit until I saw something about interior roof section dismantling.
Thought might be worthwhile not only for lighting but might be handy for 12V accessory point for the roof top camper set-up.

John J

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Purchase the RC Light Bar Kit from RC. Then purchase the KC Wire Channel kit on Amazon. Then buy the Auxbeam gang switch. Follow the directions and take your time. I found these components provided the easiest and cleanest way to install the lightbar. And with Auxbeam you can add more lights later. Good luck!!

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Wow, that requires some deep disassembly of the interior just to get that wire to run inside. That is probably a 5-7 hour job for a dealership tech, which would cost more than the kit. Out the door, I’m guessing $2500-3000 (including the kit itself)?

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Wow, that requires some deep disassembly of the interior just to get that wire to run inside. That is probably a 5-7 hour job for a dealership tech, which would cost more than the kit. Out the door, I’m guessing $2500-3000 (including the kit itself)?
Really! Someone did similar but outside the windshield. Looked fine and seemed way less invasive. The “A” pillar route has built in wiring but wow, need to break the entire right side interior out to get access so you can drill a 3/8 hole in your roof. No thanks.

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/cargo-basket-evolution-lighting-attached.3244/post-54944

Pmk1710

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Really! Someone did similar but outside the windshield. Looked fine and seemed way less invasive. The “A” pillar route has built in wiring but wow, need to break the entire right side interior out to get access so you can drill a 3/8 hole in your roof. No thanks.

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/cargo-basket-evolution-lighting-attached.3244/post-54944
Brainstorming here… cause I’m the same way, I don’t want to drill into the body of the car just to run wires.

Getting behind the interior trim is pretty easy. I ran cables from my controller through the firewall and have my switch panel mounted between my sunglasses holder and my moonroof. Took the windshield trim off the driver side and fed the wires down behind the left air vent (it’s a straight hollow drop behind it)

So… what if… you ran the wires not toward the front, but instead get into the roof rack channel and ran to the lift gate. That would curl you back inside the car, then you can run under the interior trim.

Or… hide in the lift gate, then keep running down to the fabric “skid plates” and run it under the car up into the front tire well and into the engine compartment.

Sounds really excessive, but it’s a bit more easy access and prevents a lot of full tear down…

Just a thought

Pmk1710

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
My base has the same accessory ready on the windshield.​
I’m pretty sure all the trims do…but it doesn’t necessarily clarify to what extent it is “ready”. Still a lot of tear down to be done to add any accessories.

The amount of interior trim removal that needs to be done so you can then access the rough rack mounting bolts is ridiculous. Then have to drill into the roof rack and body of the car to feed the wire. That’s not accessory ready. I think it means “hey look, here is a tiny gap in this area. Don’t know what you can do with it, take the car apart and see, but we couldn’t figure out what else to do with this spot. So have fun”

CrazyKZ

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Brainstorming here… cause I’m the same way, I don’t want to drill into the body of the car just to run wires.

Getting behind the interior trim is pretty easy. I ran cables from my controller through the firewall and have my switch panel mounted between my sunglasses holder and my moonroof. Took the windshield trim off the driver side and fed the wires down behind the left air vent (it’s a straight hollow drop behind it)

So… what if… you ran the wires not toward the front, but instead get into the roof rack channel and ran to the lift gate. That would curl you back inside the car, then you can run under the interior trim.

Or… hide in the lift gate, then keep running down to the fabric “skid plates” and run it under the car up into the front tire well and into the engine compartment.

Sounds really excessive, but it’s a bit more easy access and prevents a lot of full tear down…

Just a thought
Interesting thread on the light bar. I may look at this later after getting front lights first. In the mean time, can you give me a picture of where you have your switch panel mounted and is it RC or Trigger?

Pmk1710

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Interesting thread on the light bar. I may look at this later after getting front lights first. In the mean time, can you give me a picture of where you have your switch panel mounted and is it RC or Trigger?
I have it mounted right under my sunroof, then designed the Bezel and 3d printed it to give it a more finished look.

here are the photos Of the placement and the switch I purchased.

Ford Bronco Sport How to mount light bar and run wires? EF12578E-1EEB-48BF-82C7-831823AE7FEB

Ford Bronco Sport How to mount light bar and run wires? 6F0F7992-1B6A-4107-BEBA-8C80379D90B3

LazyDirtFarmer

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport, 2014 Escape, 2022 Tri Glide
Hey ALL! I am looking to get a light bar on top of my roof. I am considering all options. I am wondering how the wires run and if the Broncos have wiring already pre done for this. The picture below on mine I noticed this on drivers side windshield is this telling me it is ready to go? Please share your setup and light bar you did if you have and any pics. Thanks

Ford Bronco Sport How to mount light bar and run wires? tempImageOud9PX
I searched around looking for a use for the "Accessory Ready" feature on the BS. I found nothing, nada, zip.... It appears the Bronco 6G has these mounting points also, but the only accessory I could find is the RIGID Light Bar; I did not find a BS version. There's a video on install on a big Bronco, but nothing I could find for the BS... Maybe someday the aftermarket will come up with something. But, it looks like for now, mounting a light bar to the Roof rails is still the only option for the BS... I hope someone can prove me incorrect :confused:

Last edited:

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
I searched around looking for a use for the "Accessory Ready" feature on the BS. I found nothing, nada, zip.... It appears the Bronco 6G has these mounting points also, but the only accessory I could find is the RIGID Light Bar; I did not find a BS version. There's a video on install on a big Bronco, but nothing I could find for the BS... Maybe someday the aftermarket will come up with something. But, it looks like for now, mounting a light bar to the Roof rails is still the only option for the BS... I hope someone can prove me incorrect :confused:

For the BS, It’s your only option without drilling mounting holes in your roof. No hidden mounting points exist on the roof like on the full-size which makes one wonder why they went to the expense (I know it’s not much) of adding “accessory ready” silkscreen to the windshield.

xlite

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Two screws on the driver side A-Pillar give you access to a channel to under the hood and trim. You do not need to remove all the interior trim, just the door trim. I did this connected to a Trigger 6 controller. It is Bluetooth and I did not need to create a hole for control wires to your interior. It is a simple task. Do not be discouraged.
Sponsored