Have you driven with the rear glass open?

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Some of you guys are nuts. Have you not seen the exhaust warnings, many times in the past, to ,*not* drive around with the tailgate/hatch/rear window open? It's better now, but exhaust is far from "clean" just yet. CO2 *is* toxic, so are the NOx and especially CO. Am I worried about the occasional trip back from the lumber store, no -- but it's not a healthy habit. I wouldn't want to break the window or the struts -- my honest worry. I'd be thinking of another way to limit/dampen the open glass.
Sponsored

housecop

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep Cherokee
Some of the people have drank the cool aide on this one.if having the window on the back of your truck is going to give someone cancer how would you explain to us motorcycle riders why we don't get cancer sitting on top of a motor and guess what no cancer ....open the window and enjoy life ........just don't forget to wear your mask covid-19 will get you?

Last edited:

ahnuts

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL + BL
All this "Driving with the back window open will kill you" nonsense is as insane as Korean fan death.

dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Ranger FX4
Yeah 10-4 the so sorry to the OP, I should have expected this internet banter. I had no Idea this Issue would hit such a nerve.
I will bow out with 15 years wearing a docimeter and sometimes getting close to my 5k mrem anual limit.
The responses should show who is looking to show off.
I'm out, got the baby bronc about sorted. I'll stick to that in here. The rest is I truly apologize for everything I said. It will not happen again.
Is this guy trolling? I cant figure out what's going on here. Cancer risk of having an open back window? Is this somehow different than walking in a city? Or driving a motorcycle?

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
CO2 causes cancer? I never said that..
Exhaust is not a poison in newer cars, can't fix that opinion.
Open window or hatch protruding above rear pointing exhaust holds exhaust when stopped at idle and when moving forward at slow speeds can draw a larger portion into the cabin. Again this will only be fuel for an attack from some.
It has nothing to do with removable tops or 4 runners or wagons with the rear window down.
Betcha didn't know an empty pick up truck is less arepdynamic with the tailgate down. Good science on that one if someone has seen wind tunnel studies.
Seems we all have different levels of knowledge, edjumacations, in different fields..
I'm not able to explain my original statements meaning on a level that can be understood in it's intended content and meaning for a proper constructive reply to the open Hatch glass or rear door. that's not like a rolled down window in the rear. It would have to be considered closer to someone opening the garage door and car running an engine inside the garage thinking they are safer because the garage roll up is sufficient.
Sorry guys ..I hope no one looses sleep over this :'P

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Some of you guys are nuts. Have you not seen the exhaust warnings, many times in the past, to ,*not* drive around with the tailgate/hatch/rear window open? It's better now, but exhaust is far from "clean" just yet. CO2 *is* toxic, so are the NOx and especially CO. Am I worried about the occasional trip back from the lumber store, no -- but it's not a healthy habit. I wouldn't want to break the window or the struts -- my honest worry. I'd be thinking of another way to limit/dampen the open glass.
To all you guys who thought I was crazy..
Read this quote again and try to open your minds for just a moment.
To opinions and views that are far different than yours and try to remember, none of us can know everything we all can be wrong and together we can learn.
Now that is drama !
I should have been a shakespearean stage actor right !

neosolidus

Badlands
First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M3,Jeep Wrangler JLemon
Some of the people have drank the cool aide on this one.if having the window on the back of your truck is going to give someone cancer how would you explain to us motorcycle riders why we don't get cancer sitting on top of a motor and guess what no cancer ....open the window and enjoy life ........just don't forget to wear your mask covid-19 will get you?
Shame on you brother for expecting people to have common sense or think things through before they say it ...:cwl:

Keep it shiny side up! ?

SaabBoy2010

Outer Banks
First Name
Charles Cheese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-5 (2X) Saab 9-3
I know this thread is dead but if you're concerned with toxic gasses and the rear glass, how do you feel about the new car smell? Supposedly the smell comes from toxic gasses from building the car. The academic/peer reviewed studies are lacking in this area but it has been proven that the smell is not healthy for people for extended periods of time.

Is That ‘New Car Smell’ Toxic? (webmd.com)
Is That New-Car Smell Toxic? | U.S. News & World Report

I just cranked the heat up and drove with the windows down for about 30 min and most of the smell was gone. Mostly a FYI for people that intend to transport their children, either in the backseat or dragging them down the street.