Have you driven with the rear glass open?

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
I used to drive my old mercury mariner with lumber out the glass opening at 45 mph in the city with no problem. Just used bungy cords to hold in place.

olly12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
I used to drive my old mercury mariner with lumber out the glass opening at 45 mph in the city with no problem. Just used bungy cords to hold in place.
Same, in my 2nd generation explorer. The gas struts on rear window would eventually sag but cheap and easy to replace

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
It can be a slow poisoning.
A very low pressure area exists being a car due to areodynamics. This holds more exhaust gassed right behind the suv. It gets drawn right in the car through the back, worse when your in traffic. DO NOT DO THAT.
Or don't listen to me ..
Orderless. Builds slowly in your blood. Most don't ever notice it. They just come back with, " I've always done that and never had a problem"
Cancer causing carcinogens in that stuff. You may not notice a thing until your old and your telling your doctor that cancer does not run in your family.......
You guys paying attention yet ?
What carcinogens? In modern cars exhaust out of the tailpipe is almost entirely CO2 and water vapor. Other components are negligible. Don’t use scare tactics. If you crack the front windows open you won’t even get CO2.

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
I was in the cancer business for 16 years.. I dont know what I'm talking about..yeah C02 go with that...
I don't do scare tactics don't do drama ignore this post...
I don’t care what business you were in. The world is changing. Modern passenger cars have essentially zero hydrocarbon emissions, extremely low NOX and SOX emissions, and CO and CO2 don’t cause cancer. You breath in more hydrocarbons with a single trip to the gas pump than you would driving across the country with your rear window open. Those are just the facts.

And yes, you are using scare tactics and drama.

Timsvtgen1

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
There are prob more carcinogens and methylethylbadstuff in the off gassing of the interior materials all the time they do so than what comes out of an exhaust pipe> when it makes its way to you> with your windows cracked> on the slight occasion you do so to move some boards from Home Depot.

olly12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
I was in the cancer business for 16 years.. I dont know what I'm talking about..yeah C02 go with that...
I don't do scare tactics don't do drama ignore this post. I hope it stays up for those who would like to err on the side of caution. If it's drama I hope the mods remove it.
You must love the 4Runner with it's rolldown rear hatch window from the factory...

MattH88

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I’m also in the cancer business - driving with your rear window open is not any more of an elevated cancer risk than going for a normal stroll in a normal urban area with a moderarte air quality index. That’s to say - pretty much negligible and you shouldn’t live in fear.

If open windows scare you, leave them all rolled up all the time.

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
LoL I see some know very little, We are talking rear glass above the exhaust right ?
Go right ahead be my guest.
The funniest comment I saw was, "What carcinogens? "
Or , It's just C02,,Yeah ok I was wrong lets go with that :p

Out In the open ok but In traffic sitting still some of the time, Not my lungs.
Someone who is “in the cancer business” should know that CO2 isn’t a carcinogen and doesn’t build up in your bloodstream.

dano0726

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Wrangler
I had, early on, driven my Jeep Wrangler with the rear glass (on the hard top) open for longer items...

But ask me how I found out the most expensive thing on a Jeep Hard Top is the cost to replace that rear glass -- Wifey is no longer allowed to close Jeep's back glass nor side opening rear barn door...

Shmack It

Badlands
First Name
Shmack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I did not know people could be so threated by a post with a different opinion on automobile pollution that puts a visible dome of smog over cities, every fly Into LA ? I guess not !
I just don't like drawing in fumes right above my exhaust pipes.
Never had a problem with side windows but have had with a back window open to the point of actually feeling It. But no I will admit I am wrong just to help you all out.
Auto exhaust is safe In the quantity that can be drawn In the rear of an open windowed vehicle.
I hope every one is happy with that, I am.
Oh yeah It's almost all C02 so we are safe.
First off, sorry to the original poster for the continued hijacking of your post. Maybe this will end it.

Osco, your comments beg the question what exactly did you do within the "cancer business"?

I smoke the odd cigarette when hammered, technically I am in it too.

Provide a solid peer reviewed study identifying the increased cancer risk from modern car exhaust and then this convo can carry on in a beneficial manner.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Yeah 10-4 the so sorry to the OP, I should have expected this internet banter. I had no Idea this Issue would hit such a nerve.
I will bow out with 15 years wearing a docimeter and sometimes getting close to my 5k mrem anual limit.
The responses should show who is looking to show off.
I'm out, got the baby bronc about sorted. I'll stick to that in here. The rest is I truly apologize for everything I said. It will not happen again.

OP
OP

CanineChamp

First Edition
First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mork
Yeah 10-4 the so sorry to the OP, I should have expected this internet banter. I had no Idea this Issue would hit such a nerve.
I will bow out with 15 years wearing a docimeter and sometimes getting close to my 5k mrem anual limit.
The responses should show who is looking to show off.
I'm out, got the baby bronc about sorted. I'll stick to that in here. The rest is I truly apologize for everything I said. It will not happen again.

No need for sorry! I appreciate all the information I can get.

Bobaloo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford
Makes no sense to drive around with the glass hatch up anyway. Maybe to bring some 2X4's home from Home Depot or a carpet piece from Big Lots. Other than that, no discussion about "driving around, top speed, etc".

OP
OP

CanineChamp

First Edition
First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mork
Makes no sense to drive around with the glass hatch up anyway. Maybe to bring some 2X4's home from Home Depot or a carpet piece from Big Lots. Other than that, no discussion about "driving around, top speed, etc".

No desire to drive 120 mph with the glass up. But it would be nice for Bonaparte around town.
Sponsored