has anyone had dealer add OEM backup sensor system?

debmc1958

First Name
Deb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I thought I found my vehicle and come to find out that it lacks the backup sensor system. I've decided it's a dealbreaker but debating whether to ask dealer if they can add it. It doesn't look all that complicated. I don't want the rest of the stuff i.e. moonroof, power seats, cruise contrl that come with the package that includes the backup sensor. So I guess I'll have to order one if they can't put the sensors in. And my car's AC is broken and two places can't fix it so I'd be waiting through the summer.....
Sponsored

Central Jersey

Big Bend
First Name
Mordechai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport big Bend
I thought I found my vehicle and come to find out that it lacks the backup sensor system. I've decided it's a dealbreaker but debating whether to ask dealer if they can add it. It doesn't look all that complicated. I don't want the rest of the stuff i.e. moonroof, power seats, cruise contrl that come with the package that includes the backup sensor. So I guess I'll have to order one if they can't put the sensors in. And my car's AC is broken and two places can't fix it so I'd be waiting through the summer.....
Your in NJ freehold fords body shop just replaced my AC give them them a call.

OP
OP

debmc1958

First Name
Deb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Your in NJ freehold fords body shop just replaced my AC give them them a call.
Thanks but I'm in Gloucester county. I replaced the compressor last year and really just want to stop putting money into it.

GT1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw x1, 1965 mustang GT convert
This is an unpleasant surprise. While there is rear cross traffic alert if a car or person is moving behind you when backing up there is no traditional backup sensor that tells you if stationary object is behind you. Having placed an advance order last Sept I can tell you it wasn't clear this was the case. Only good news is the backup camera works very well and has been easy to get used to, but hard to believe Ford moved the backup sensor to an add on package. One might hope that with sensors there for rear cross traffic alert Ford will figure out how to use them for stationary objects - obvious Ford oversight. I haven't seen much discussion on this so glad you posted it.

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
OP
OP

debmc1958

First Name
Deb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
This is an unpleasant surprise. While there is rear cross traffic alert if a car or person is moving behind you when backing up there is no traditional backup sensor that tells you if stationary object is behind you. Having placed an advance order last Sept I can tell you it wasn't clear this was the case. Only good news is the backup camera works very well and has been easy to get used to, but hard to believe Ford moved the backup sensor to an add on package. One might hope that with sensors there for rear cross traffic alert Ford will figure out how to use them for stationary objects - obvious Ford oversight. I haven't seen much discussion on this so glad you posted it.
I feel like I know more about this vehicle from this forum
This is news to me, the rear cross traffic alert; all they said was it has a backup camera. Does the rear cross traffic alert make a sound? Or is it just a line on the backup camera? I'm coming into this from a 2010 Subaru with no safety features and it's a bit overwhelming.

GT1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I feel like I know more about this vehicle from this forum

This is news to me, the rear cross traffic alert; all they said was it has a backup camera. Does the rear cross traffic alert make a sound? Or is it just a line on the backup camera? I'm coming into this from a 2010 Subaru with no safety features and it's a bit overwhelming.
Rear cross traffic alert does give you a sound alert. You can set the sensitivity level. Some say it is too sensitive, but for example backing up at our mail box station car pulled in as I was backing up about 20' away and sound alert went off. It is really confusing (and confounding) why Ford put in cross traffic alert in standard Copilot 360 and back up notification only in copilot 360+. I must have read the manual a dozen times trying to figure out where backup sensor was - only to finally realize it is only in copilot 360+. From a safety standpoint the backup alert is really good for detecting small stationary objects (like little kids) if you are looking out the back window instead of at the display screen. That's why I don't see why Ford didn't make that standard. I have started to rely more on screen when backing up despite the fact a drivers license instructor will fail you in a driving test for doing that ! Out of all the copilot 360+ all I would have wanted was backup sensor. Can live without it, but that was at top of my list when ordering the car, just didn't realize it wasn't standard.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
Rear cross traffic alert does give you a sound alert. You can set the sensitivity level. Some say it is too sensitive, but for example backing up at our mail box station car pulled in as I was backing up about 20' away and sound alert went off. It is really confusing (and confounding) why Ford put in cross traffic alert in standard Copilot 360 and back up notification only in copilot 360+. I must have read the manual a dozen times trying to figure out where backup sensor was - only to finally realize it is only in copilot 360+. From a safety standpoint the backup alert is really good for detecting small stationary objects (like little kids) if you are looking out the back window instead of at the display screen. That's why I don't see why Ford didn't make that standard. I have started to rely more on screen when backing up despite the fact a drivers license instructor will fail you in a driving test for doing that ! Out of all the copilot 360+ all I would have wanted was backup sensor. Can live without it, but that was at top of my list when ordering the car, just didn't realize it wasn't standard.
i have a first edition and when I am backing up I have both cross traffic and back up sensor sounds . I am not sure what other trims have ,have to read up on that. And I only have the standard 360 copilot on my first edition.

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
i have a first edition and when I am backing up I have both cross traffic and back up sensor sounds . I am not sure what other trims have ,have to read up on that. And I only have the standard 360 copilot on my first edition.
OB is the same.

Reactions: Jrl

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
OB is the same.
Yes but outer banks was given option of 360+, I guess I was sleeping when I ordered mine , thought sales guy said that it was included .Living with out it not so bad actually I really like the lane keep for the highways

OP
OP

debmc1958

First Name
Deb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Sorry about that. You can have backup sensor installed. Not sure if that affects warranty. Seems to run around $300. I’m considering it but am annoyed now. The only reason I noticed was bc I looked at another bronco first but wanted the Area 51 color. So they got one in and I was so excited but noticed the seat adjustment was manual and that led to the realization that the option pkg with rear sensor was not on this one. So instead of a new bronco I just sank another $300 into my 11 year old Subaru’s air conditioner.

GT1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have badlands without BL add on. Definitely no back up sensors, only rear cross traffic. Early Dec production. If you a way to turn it on I be interested.

brockdog12

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
When I bought my BS I thought it was odd it had no back up sensors, but then backing up the cross traffic alert sounded when a car passed behind me. Must be built into the tail lights with the BLIS system. I'm ok not having them, I look around and use the camera.

CaptainCanada

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
The reverse sensors is something I got used to on my Escape which pushed me to just look at the Outer Banks trim here since its included at base of that trim. Otherwise I think Big Bend W/ Big Bend pack has reverse sensor but that wasnt in any of the Big Bends in my area.
Sponsored