Base
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I have a 2021 Bronco Sport Base model.

I started hearing the grinding that people are hearing coming from the rear differential about a month ago (and 25k miles in). It sounds like the noise that tires make when they're spinning out of gravel and kicking up a bunch of little rocks.

From what I've read, I understand that there's really no fix to the issue, not even from Ford themselves. Is that about right?
Sponsored

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
is it all the time, or only when you are spinning per se? mine will make a similar noise when slipping on ice or snow which i have attributed to the traction control system.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Could be rear drive shafts making noise? When you take to dealer have a service tech ride with you and acknowledge the noise. Otherwise they will say didnt hear anything. Then you'll have to deal with that run around multiple trips cat and mouse game.

OP
OP

Modum82

Base
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
is it all the time, or only when you are spinning per se? mine will make a similar noise when slipping on ice or snow which i have attributed to the traction control system.

It's only when I accelerate quickly, and when I turn. Sometimes is doesn't even make the noise at all in either situation.

OP
OP

Modum82

Base
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Could be rear drive shafts making noise? When you take to dealer have a service tech ride with you and acknowledge the noise. Otherwise they will say didnt hear anything. Then you'll have to deal with that run around multiple trips cat and mouse game.

This is exactly what I'm gonna have to do.

OP
OP

Modum82

Base
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
They can fix it with a new diff.

I thought this might be the case, but I did read a thread where someone's diff was replaced by Ford, and the sound still didn't go away. Maybe they had a different issue altogether? I'm certainly hoping so.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
It's only when I accelerate quickly, and when I turn. Sometimes is doesn't even make the noise at all in either situation.
Are you sure it's the rear diff? The base model does not use a twin-clutch rear diff--as far as I know it's a simple open diff. The power transfer unit, on the other hand, DOES use clutches. The drive system in the Bronco Sport is essentially an on-demand AWD. It's full-time front-wheel-drive unless the front wheels lose traction, then the power transfer unit automatically engages those clutches to transfer power to the rear wheels.

Are you hearing this noise while accelerating on dry pavement?

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport

I started hearing the grinding that people are hearing coming from the rear differential about a month ago (and 25k miles in). It sounds like the noise that tires make when they're spinning out of gravel and kicking up a bunch of little rocks.

From what I've read, I understand that there's really no fix to the issue, not even from Ford themselves. Is that about right?
Hey there! I can look into your Bronco’s noise concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership info?

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Someone had an issue a while back where a heat shield rubbed the shaft going from PTU to rear diff. So only heard noise when power was sent to rear wheels.

joe_april

Outer Banks
First Name
April
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Someone had an issue a while back where a heat shield rubbed the shaft going from PTU to rear diff. So only heard noise when power was sent to rear wheels.
Wonder if this is what my problem is or is it really the rear diff. If only I can get the local dealer to actually look at the car. Seems my dragging grinding noise is happening most times when I pull out of a gas station. I am thinking it has to do with the pavement and tracking forcing the vehicle in 4wd.

toddedmond

Outer Banks
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry XSE
It was me that had the heat shield rubbing the rear drive shaft. I noticed that the drive shaft had a "shiny ring" around it because of the rubbing. I originally thought that I had a rear diff problem. It only made the noise on hard acceleration. I was able to duplicate it a lot when in Sport Mode, it kicks in the rear more often.

scaryhours

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BB
Wonder if this is what my problem is or is it really the rear diff. If only I can get the local dealer to actually look at the car. Seems my dragging grinding noise is happening most times when I pull out of a gas station. I am thinking it has to do with the pavement and tracking forcing the vehicle in 4wd.
if you turn off traction control, does the noise go away?

carlea_w

Badlands
First Name
Carlea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport

I am getting a new rear differential installed this week on a 2021 Badlands. It was a quick decline after hearing the grindy-gravel type sounds. It turned into a clunking within a week. They tried to say it was the brake squeak issue, but it clearly is not. They are repairing under the power train warranty as I am over 36k. They were not quick to diagnose it and I feel like they are hoping this solves the problem. Me too. I hope you are able to get yours fixed. It sounded dangerous to drive.

slazernomad

Base
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Hi, does anyone has news? A have an issue on my 2021 escape as well. Sounds like from RDU with quick acceleration and weird sounds from rear right if I turn on snow/sand mode and slowly move with max right angle.
Sponsored

Last edited: