General Consensus- Lift kits and Manufacturers Warranty?

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
Just wondering what those that have installed lift kits experienced as far as the manufacturers warranty goes. I have heard several different answers.
It would be installed on my BS OB by a licensed mechanic...
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Just wondering what those that have installed lift kits experienced as far as the manufacturers warranty goes. I have heard several different answers.
It would be installed on my BS OB by a licensed mechanic...
In general, the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act protects owners from the loss of warranty for the use of aftermarket parts. But it doesn't protect you completely. Ford is under no obligation to warrant the new parts you install (obviously), nor must it honor a claim on other parts that may be damaged or prematurely worn as a result of the modification and/or the installation. For example, let's say you have your lift kit installed and the technician fails to properly secure the brake lines. Then let's say the unsecured brake line gets abraded and fails. Ford will not honor a claim to repair the brake line or any other damage that might occur as a result of the failed brake line--whoever did the installation is liable for that. To avoid this kind of denial you can have your Ford dealership do the installation. It will likely cost more, but then they can't claim the installation was done improperly.

The same goes for damage or premature wear caused by the modification itself. For example, a lift changes the driveline geometry. You are counting on the lift kit designer to ensure the change isn't enough to damage driveline components such as CV joints. If you do experience driveline problems you may have an argument between Ford and the kit supplier as to whether the problems resulted from the suspension modifications.

That said, any parts on the vehicle not associated with the suspension modification will still be covered. That's the protection afforded by the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act

Another consideration is product liability. If you have a roll-over accident resulting from normal traffic maneuvering you may have a good civil case. If you modify the suspension in a way that increases the likelihood of a roll-over accident--such as a lift-kit--then you will likely eliminate any such case.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I always hold off doing any mods until warranty expires.

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
Many dealerships will do aftermarket lift kits and warranty the work. You'll probably pay twice as much as a private shop but you might want to look into it.

When I was looking at Jeeps several years ago this was a normal thing. I bought a new 2015 Wrangler with a spacer lift and 35's done by the dealer.

Since then I've seen more and more Ford dealers lifting and selling lifted trucks.

OP
OP
Martinjv71

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
HRG Engineering. Great to deal with and happy with the lift. They have great Bronco Sport YouTube content too.
Yes I saw a post earlier. Just ordered one yesterday! Waiting for it to ship. Thanks.
Sponsored