Gateway Module Failure

usc2006

First Name
Veronica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sports Bronco 2021
I bought a Sports Bronco 2021. I bought it in December 2021. I stopped to put gas and when I proceeded to start car, it started to blink car overheating, service now in a red lined box and it wouldn’t start. Then it kept changing screens with yellow boxes like it was going through a check of different systems. Vehicle wouldn’t start so I called Perry Ford and stated they didn’t know what’s going on with it and to call roadside assistance. I waited a few minutes and attempted to start it again which worked. I drove it to the dealership and informed the main gateway module failed. I have to wait four days for part and didn’t offer a rental car to me. 😩

I’ve googled it and I can’t find any information on this happening to sport broncos. I’m really disappointed as I thought this would be a reliable vehicle while I’m in the military in San Diego.

Has anyone heard of this happening? I was informed this part controls transmission amongst other main components of Bronco. Looking to educate myself, if anyone can shed light on this issue. Thank you

may 30, 2022 update: thank you PERRY FORD. Great customer service. Part arrived in 4-5 days. Covered under warranty. Not sure what caused it but hoping this is the last time. Happy Memorial Day!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jess1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Bummer. The GM is the "crossover" for the various CANs, so without it the separate systems (body, powertrain, displays) can't talk to each other. This is what warranty is for...

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
It’s a bummer that this happened to you but you have searched here and yours seems to be the only one so far. Things do fail, even new things. As said above, that is why you have a warranty. I think that dealers aren’t’ offering loaners because they don’t have any cars on their lots.

rmreid22

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak, 2018 Mustang GT
Gateway Module

NOTE:
The GWM communicates with the 4 controller area networks (CAN). The OBD DLC is fitted to the GWM and is the direct interface with the scan tool.

The GWM is mounted under the driver side instrument panel. The OBD connector is fitted to the GWM. The GWM acts as a central gateway to translate messages across all 4 vehicle controller area networks (CAN), and vice versa. The GWM is the only module on this vehicle with this ability. The GWM also serves as a termination module for each of the networks to which it is connected.

OP
OP
usc2006

usc2006

First Name
Veronica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sports Bronco 2021
It’s a bummer that this happened to you but you have searched here and yours seems to be the only one so far. Things do fail, even new things. As said above, that is why you have a warranty. I think that dealers aren’t’ offering loaners because they don’t have any cars on their lots.
Thank you so much. I appreciate the feedback.

OP
OP
usc2006

usc2006

First Name
Veronica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sports Bronco 2021
Gateway Module

NOTE:
The GWM communicates with the 4 controller area networks (CAN). The OBD DLC is fitted to the GWM and is the direct interface with the scan tool.

The GWM is mounted under the driver side instrument panel. The OBD connector is fitted to the GWM. The GWM acts as a central gateway to translate messages across all 4 vehicle controller area networks (CAN), and vice versa. The GWM is the only module on this vehicle with this ability. The GWM also serves as a termination module for each of the networks to which it is connected.
Good information. Thank you.

OP
OP
usc2006

usc2006

First Name
Veronica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sports Bronco 2021
Gateway Module

NOTE:

Now I understand so much better. Yes, hoping this doesn’t happen again.

Babyb2022

Badlands
First Name
Beth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco sport
I have bronco sport badlands, in shop at dealership 3 weeks this week waiting on various modules that failed including replacement gateway module, totally bummed out. Only 800 miles on it, and now they've had it longer than I did before it broke..ugh!

Cindyk

Outer Banks
First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outerbanks
I bought a Sports Bronco 2021. I bought it in December 2021. I stopped to put gas and when I proceeded to start car, it started to blink car overheating, service now in a red lined box and it wouldn’t start. Then it kept changing screens with yellow boxes like it was going through a check of different systems. Vehicle wouldn’t start so I called Perry Ford and stated they didn’t know what’s going on with it and to call roadside assistance. I waited a few minutes and attempted to start it again which worked. I drove it to the dealership and informed the main gateway module failed. I have to wait four days for part and didn’t offer a rental car to me. 😩

I’ve googled it and I can’t find any information on this happening to sport broncos. I’m really disappointed as I thought this would be a reliable vehicle while I’m in the military in San Diego.

Has anyone heard of this happening? I was informed this part controls transmission amongst other main components of Bronco. Looking to educate myself, if anyone can shed light on this issue. Thank you

may 30, 2022 update: thank you PERRY FORD. Great customer service. Part arrived in 4-5 days. Covered under warranty. Not sure what caused it but hoping this is the last time. Happy Memorial Day!

Cindyk

Outer Banks
First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outerbanks
Hi I just had this happen to me. I went to wash my car, then get had to get gas for the lawn mower. When I tried to restart my Bronco Sport outer banks every light came on advanced trac, no hill side assistance, car over heating, low tire pressure ,no driver assistance, no coolant , low battery, blind system fault, low fuel. I tried to take pictures of them. I called road side assistance and my friend to pick it up. Finally it started and I was able to drive it home like nothing happened . I’ve already had issues because my advanced trac has come on several times saying I have no driver assistance or hill side assistance. They could not figure out was was wrong.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Hi I just had this happen to me. I went to wash my car, then get had to get gas for the lawn mower. When I tried to restart my Bronco Sport outer banks every light came on advanced trac, no hill side assistance, car over heating, low tire pressure ,no driver assistance, no coolant , low battery, blind system fault, low fuel. I tried to take pictures of them. I called road side assistance and my friend to pick it up. Finally it started and I was able to drive it home like nothing happened . I’ve already had issues because my advanced trac has come on several times saying I have no driver assistance or hill side assistance. They could not figure out was was wrong.
Hello, Cindy! Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer. I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this. Thanks!
Sponsored