Bompen

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado Z71 2.8L Diesel
Yesterday I was filling my Badlands at Costco and the gas did not shut off when the tank was full and ran down the side of the BS. Fortunately I noticed it right away and pulled the hose out and shut it off manually. No one was working the Costco gas station at the time, so there was nothing I could do. In retrospect I should have taken some pictures and got the name and phone number of the guy filling in the car behind me and went in and reported it to Costco management, but I didn't think about that and I went to the car wash immediately and had it washed and the paint appears to be OK, but I'm worried about whether the problem was with the pump or with our no cap gas tank on the BS. Anybody out there had this problem before? Should I take it to the dealer and have them look at the tank? Not sure what to do.
Sponsored

BayBrownBronco

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
This never happened to me once in the last seven years... not in my 2015 Escape, my 2018 Fusion, or now in my 2021 BS BL. In fact it's one of my favorite features on modern Fords. I do recall scanning thru this topic in my BS's owner manual, I recall it saying one should wait 10 seconds after placing the nozzle in the capless tank opening, before starting to fuel. And I remember thinking hmm... maybe I should start waiting at least TWO seconds :) :eek:

Anyway, sorry to see you went thru this, yep it's scary and it's a hazard. Definitely let that station know the issue, it's nearly certain to be a pump problem. Won't hurt the paint unless you leave it on there for days, if then. Gas is extremely volatile and is 98% gone from painted metal in a minute or two.

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
It’s the nozzle. Here’s one that explains it:

Also, it being Costco where pumps are usually cheaper and over used, will contribute to the ineffective nozzle. All I’m saying is, it can happen anywhere so do not leave the nozzle but at places that are used a lot and are cheap, REALLY do not leave.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
+1 for Tigger's post. The only way your car's refueling port design could influence the operation of a pump nozzle is the other extreme—to make the pump shut off prematurely. That's been reported by a few forum users, and it's easily avoided by pulling the nozzle out of the refueling port an inch or two before actuating the nozzle.

Geelloo90042

Badlands
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport-Badlands
Never had that happen to me in a while, but I think it has to do with the pump itself, and it was probably random. If it does it most of the time with different pumps, then maybe there is an issue with your fuel port?

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
I get my gas at Costco and never have had an issue. Costco's gas is cheap, not their pumps. Where I live, they even include a secondary means of preventing fume from escaping and are even more sensitive in my opinion for shutting off. The big issue is trying to fill a gas can to the top. It will not let you.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Yesterday I was filling my Badlands at Costco and the gas did not shut off when the tank was full and ran down the side of the BS. Fortunately I noticed it right away and pulled the hose out and shut it off manually. No one was working the Costco gas station at the time, so there was nothing I could do. In retrospect I should have taken some pictures and got the name and phone number of the guy filling in the car behind me and went in and reported it to Costco management, but I didn't think about that and I went to the car wash immediately and had it washed and the paint appears to be OK, but I'm worried about whether the problem was with the pump or with our no cap gas tank on the BS. Anybody out there had this problem before? Should I take it to the dealer and have them look at the tank? Not sure what to do.
Hi there. This gas tank concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your Bronco Sport. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.

OP
OP

Bompen

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This never happened to me once in the last seven years... not in my 2015 Escape, my 2018 Fusion, or now in my 2021 BS BL. In fact it's one of my favorite features on modern Fords. I do recall scanning thru this topic in my BS's owner manual, I recall it saying one should wait 10 seconds after placing the nozzle in the capless tank opening, before starting to fuel. And I remember thinking hmm... maybe I should start waiting at least TWO seconds :) :eek:

Anyway, sorry to see you went thru this, yep it's scary and it's a hazard. Definitely let that station know the issue, it's nearly certain to be a pump problem. Won't hurt the paint unless you leave it on there for days, if then. Gas is extremely volatile and is 98% gone from painted metal in a minute or two.
Hi there. This gas tank concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your Bronco Sport. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
It's the nozzle. They aren't designed to last forever - most have a remove by or replace by date on them.

OP
OP

Bompen

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VIN number is 3FMCR9D96NRD39090.
Selling/Servicing Ford Dealer is Fiesta Ford, Inc., 78990 Varner Rd, Indio, CA 92203

OP
OP

Bompen

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VIN number is 3FMCR9D96NRD39090.
Selling/Servicing Ford Dealer is Fiesta Ford, Inc., 78990 Varner Rd, Indio, CA 92203

Feint

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Happened to me once on my old Fiero. It's a problem with the pump nozzle that happens rarely. If it was a problem with the capless fuel tank, you'd be seeing reports all over america since that technology is used in many Ford vehicles.

Tall Timbers

Badlands
First Name
Tall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands Bronco Sp, 23 Ford F150 Hybrid (order)
We've had 8 Ford cars now with the capless tank system and that's never occurred. I'd say it was a problem with the pump.

I did once have a pump handle come loose from the line while I was topping off an F250. Diesel is pretty slippery. As the diesel continued to pour out I tried to walk into the store to alert somebody and fell flat on my face. Ended up having to go the the ER.

Carolo

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Happened to me in New Mexico. Filling the BS and watching gas fill total and realized it was too much gas. Turned to find lots of gas on the ground. Hosed off everything and reported spill to attendant, and got a "too bad, so sad" type of response. I miss the days when an attendant filled your car AND washed the windshield!
Sponsored