slowpoke17

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, '19 Ranger,'09 MB, '77 & 03 Corvette,
My BS has just over 4k miles on it now and I'm noticing a thumping noise when I apply the brakes. Sounds like it's coming just from the front right side so its not normal as I don't hear it from the left side. Has anyone else heard this, like a thumping? I'm thinking loose caliper maybe. Haven't seen any other mentions of this problem so it must be something simple. I need to get an appointment for the last recall and can have them check.
Sponsored

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Can you feel it through the steering wheel?

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I was having issues that were recall related. It did not have any sound. One day I was breaking and it was noticable felt like it took longer. No grinding nothing at all 18,000 miles. They replaced the front brakes under recall. If you have a clanking coming from one wheel, I'd check the lugs first especially if you had new tires installed.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No pulsing at all on the steering wheel.
If there is something amiss with your brakes and you don't feel anything through the steering wheel, it is most likely a rear brake issue. I wonder if you've got some pad material stuck to the rotor. It can happen sometimes when the rotors are wet and you park and engage the parking brake. Essentially rust takes over and some material from the pads will remain when you release the brake.

Having said all of that, is the thumping a rhythmic sound? Meaning when you apply the brakes it happens more than just a single thump.

If it is rhythmic, then is it speed related? Meaning a faster rhythm at higher speed and slower at lower speed.

OP
OP
slowpoke17

slowpoke17

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is a rhythmic sound that only happens while braking. It is the same noise level and thumping speed no matter how fast or slow I'm going. I don't think its the lug nuts as I added caliper covers recently and it made the same sound before and after wheels reinstalled.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
My BS has just over 4k miles on it now and I'm noticing a thumping noise when I apply the brakes. Sounds like it's coming just from the front right side so its not normal as I don't hear it from the left side. Has anyone else heard this, like a thumping? I'm thinking loose caliper maybe. Haven't seen any other mentions of this problem so it must be something simple. I need to get an appointment for the last recall and can have them check.
Hi there. Can you send us a DM with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into this for you.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is the same noise level and thumping speed no matter how fast or slow I'm going.
Okay, now that is a new one. I would think that anything to do with the brakes would change rhythm with speed changing.

kanine

Badlands
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2014 Mustang GT
Mine has been doing that too, I will try to get a vid of it tomorrow. It was at the dealer for almost 2 months and when I got it back over a week ago, I noticed the rhythmic thumping when I was braking. I thought it may have been rust on the brakes because the car was sitting at the dealer for repair for so long.

OP
OP
slowpoke17

slowpoke17

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine has been doing that too, I will try to get a vid of it tomorrow. It was at the dealer for almost 2 months and when I got it back over a week ago, I noticed the rhythmic thumping when I was braking. I thought it may have been rust on the brakes because the car was sitting at the dealer for repair for so long.
Funny you mentioned that, the first time I noticed it was after I didn't use the car for a few days and we had some rain. I noticed rust on the discs as I approached the car but thought nothing of it. Figured it would be cleared when I hit the brakes.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
It is a rhythmic sound that only happens while braking. It is the same noise level and thumping speed no matter how fast or slow I'm going. I don't think its the lug nuts as I added caliper covers recently and it made the same sound before and after wheels reinstalled.
If the frequency doesn't change with speed it may have something to do with the ABS system. I believe ABS applies & releases the brakes at a set frequency. Does your car have Copilot 360+?

kanine

Badlands
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2014 Mustang GT
If the frequency doesn't change with speed it may have something to do with the ABS system. I believe ABS applies & releases the brakes at a set frequency. Does your car have Copilot 360+?
I have Copilot 360. The frequency of the thumping is consistent with the speed of the car. Fast to slow and stops as the car stops. It sounds like it's coming from the front driver's side, no vibration in steering or the brake pedal.

OP
OP
slowpoke17

slowpoke17

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the copilot 360 +. This noise only occurs when I apply the brakes. Otherwise I don't hear anything.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I have Copilot 360. The frequency of the thumping is consistent with the speed of the car. Fast to slow and stops as the car stops. It sounds like it's coming from the front driver's side, no vibration in steering or the brake pedal.
Yours is almost certainly something to do with the spinning wheel. Have you jacked the car and tried spinning the suspect wheel by hand?
Sponsored