mstorm

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Shelby GT500 Convertible, 2020 Edge SEL
My 2021 Outer Banks finally made it to my dealer yesterday, 1/13/22 after numerous delays. Scheduled to pick it up today and just got a call from my salesperson saying that Ford has issued a Stop Sell on Bronco Sports built between November and Now. No replacement pads or part numbers currently available. Beyond pissed!
Sponsored

HorseHog

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
A few of us are in the same boat. Parts won’t be available til May/June.

Currently in the process of deciding whether or not I’m ditching mine and getting a 4Runner instead

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
My 2021 Outer Banks finally made it to my dealer yesterday, 1/13/22 after numerous delays. Scheduled to pick it up today and just got a call from my salesperson saying that Ford has issued a Stop Sell on Bronco Sports built between November and Now. No replacement pads or part numbers currently available. Beyond pissed!
Ouch , that is totally B S .

schneid

Outer Banks
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
armada
Our OB was delivered in September. We were notified of a front brake pad recall that cannot be done due to a lack of parts. However, we were not old to STOP driving it.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Our OB was delivered in September. We were notified of a front brake pad recall that cannot be done due to a lack of parts. However, we were not old to STOP driving it.
That's because the deficiency prompting the recall is only an issue in the event a brake system component--the power booster--fails. If your power booster fails you will have to step much harder on the brake pedal, and the car will require a much greater distance to stop. This is true for ALL cars that use a brake power booster. The NHTSA has set a maximum stopping distance for vehicles with a failed power booster, and more recent Bronco Sports do not meet that standard. When the system is functioning normally--i.e. no power booster failure--there is no problem with the brakes.

schneid

Outer Banks
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
armada
That's because the deficiency prompting the recall is only an issue in the event a brake system component--the power booster--fails. If your power booster fails you will have to step much harder on the brake pedal, and the car will require a much greater distance to stop. This is true for ALL cars that use a brake power booster. The NHTSA has set a maximum stopping distance for vehicles with a failed power booster, and more recent Bronco Sports do not meet that standard. When the system is functioning normally--i.e. no power booster failure--there is no problem with the brakes.
Then why are they saying Front Pads? This is nuts.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Then why are they saying Front Pads? This is nuts.
Because some foible human had to type that crap for the billionth time into an app alert and banged out "front" instead of "rear". It's not a severe problem. It's not "nuts".
There's 10 different pads for sale on rockauto right now. I wonder if they could possibly buy those and complete the recall work? But maybe not- maybe a "new" car can only be sold as built from the factory with factory parts for liability and Federal law reasons? Otherwise, you're beholden to the same issue affecting Ford and everything else getting official parts made and delivered to over 3,000 different dealerships in the US to end the "insanity".
By the way, I'm sure Ford and the dealer would love nothing else more than to sell you the car. That isn't their doing. Federal law prohibits sale of a new vehicle currently under a recall. If your OB was used, they could probably use a loophole to make the sale. Sure it sucks to be in that spot, but that is just the state of things. I had to wait 9 months to get a replacement refrigerator when the previous POS went belly up. Got through it.

Here is an article that better explains the recall issue:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a38430375/ford-bronco-sport-escape-brake-recall/

Here is a copy of the official NHTSA recall notice:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCAK-21V922-7811.pdf

Right there in that notice is some friendly government boilerplate that spells out your exact issue:
"Under 49 U.S.C. § 30112(a), it is illegal for anyone, including a manufacturer, distributor, dealer, or retailer to sell an item of equipment or vehicle that fails to comply with all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards."

Boeingmyway

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I have a Bronco Sport Outer Banks....best ever vehicle, 22,000 miles. The brakes make so much noise each morning backing out of the garage. I thought this must be the recall, but the noise is coming from the rear brakes. Wakes my neighbors up it is so loud.

I have an appointment with the dealer end of Jan to have a look at it.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are two new documents posted at the NTSB's website regarding this recall. The summary at that page still says:

Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2021-2022 Bronco Sport and Escape vehicles. The rear brake linings may have been manufactured incorrectly, which can affect braking performance. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard number 135, "Light Vehicle Brake Systems."
(Emphasis added)

The comment regarding the rear brake linings has resulted in a great deal of confusion for owners affected by the recall, especially given information in the two new documents.

The first new document is an update to the compliance letter Ford sent to all Ford and Lincoln dealers. This letter is dated Feb 8, 2022. The letter states the recall only applies to "Bronco Sport vehicles equipped with the 1.5L engine and vacuum boost. So if you own a Badlands your vehicle should not be affected. The letter also states that the fix will require replacing the front brake pads:

SERVICE ACTION
Before demonstrating or delivering any new in-stock vehicles involved in this compliance recall, dealers are to replace the front brake pads as outlined in the technical instructions. This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.
(Emphasis added)

The technical instructions included as an attachment direct service techs to follow the shop manual instructions to replace the front brake linings.

The second new document is an update to the chronology. Nothing has changed on this document other that to note the Ford sent an updated compliance letter to its dealer network. The chronology still includes the following statement:

Analysis of the brake system [on vehicles that failed the NTSB's FMVSS 135 testing] identified that the friction coefficient of the rear brake caliper linings was below the specification.
(Emphasis added)

Some owners have reported their dealerships verbally advised them Ford will address this recall by replacing the front brake pads. The FordPass app notifications, letters sent to owners of affected vehicles, and the most up-to-date compliance letter all say the same thing, so it appears we may be reaching some kind of consensus on this issue. Some have mentioned here it makes more sense to replace the front linings given the majority of stopping power comes from the front brakes, but it doesn't explain why Ford chose to replace the front linings after singling out rear linings in its analysis.

Regardless of the lingering confusion over what all this means, Ford continues to assert there is no danger in continuing to drive affected vehicles until parts are available to comply with the recall. It's also yet more evidence that the recall has nothing to do with the noise some have reported coming from the rear brakes while backing. If Ford does indeed follow through with replacing front brake linings it will do nothing to help those with noisy rear brakes.

Last edited:

Dave H

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Her 21 Bronco Sport Outer Banks, My 21 Escape SE
My wife owns a BS OB that is under the recall and I have no safety concerns about her driving it (after 35+ years she is still the only one for me).
I did buy a 2021 Ford escape for me to drive on 2/15/22 and it is under the brake recall and the dealer never said a word. I think we can all understand why you would be upset. If that would have happened when my wife's came in she more than likely would have been charged with grand theft auto......

LastBronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
There are two new documents posted at the NTSB's website regarding this recall. The summary at that page still says:

(Emphasis added)

The comment regarding the rear brake linings has resulted in a great deal of confusion for owners affected by the recall, especially given information in the two new documents.

The first new document is an update to the compliance letter Ford sent to all Ford and Lincoln dealers. This letter is dated Feb 8, 2022. The letter states the recall only applies to "Bronco Sport vehicles equipped with the 1.5L engine and vacuum boost. So if you own a Badlands your vehicle should not be affected. The letter also states that the fix will require replacing the front brake pads:

(Emphasis added)

The technical instructions included as an attachment direct service techs to follow the shop manual instructions to replace the front brake linings.

The second new document is an update to the chronology. Nothing has changed on this document other that to note the Ford sent an updated compliance letter to its dealer network. The chronology still includes the following statement:

(Emphasis added)

Some owners have reported their dealerships verbally advised them Ford will address this recall by replacing the front brake pads. The FordPass app notifications, letters sent to owners of affected vehicles, and the most up-to-date compliance letter all say the same thing, so it appears we may be reaching some kind of consensus on this issue. Some have mentioned here it makes more sense to replace the front linings given the majority of stopping power comes from the front brakes, but it doesn't explain why Ford chose to replace the front linings after singling out rear linings in its analysis.

Regardless of the lingering confusion over what all this means, Ford continues to assert there is no danger in continuing to drive affected vehicles until parts are available to comply with the recall. It's also yet more evidence that the recall has nothing to do with the noise some have reported coming from the rear brakes while backing. If Ford does indeed follow through with replacing front brake linings it will do nothing to help those with noisy rear brakes.
Ford is replacing FRONT BRAKE PADS!

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Ford is replacing FRONT BRAKE PADS!
Yep initial communication said rear brake pads and later communication said front brake pads. So I think everyone is in sync front brake pads despite past confusion.

ejs0619

Outer Banks
First Name
Emily
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
I have a Bronco Sport Outer Banks....best ever vehicle, 22,000 miles. The brakes make so much noise each morning backing out of the garage. I thought this must be the recall, but the noise is coming from the rear brakes. Wakes my neighbors up it is so loud.

I have an appointment with the dealer end of Jan to have a look at it.
Hello! Were you ever able to figure this out? My car is doing the same.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello! Were you ever able to figure this out? My car is doing the same.
How many miles on your Outer Banks? If you're under 12K you can probably take it back to your dealer to get this fixed under warranty. It's a fairly common issue. I don't believe anyone has definitively identified the cause, but in general there are only a few issues (mostly installation errors) that can cause noise like this and they are fairly easy to fix.

If you're beyond 12K miles it's unlikely you will be successful in making a warranty claim. Your best bet in that case (IMHO) is to take your car to a competent, trustworthy independent shop and tell them what the problem is. In most cases they can effect a repair that doesn't require replacing the brake pads.

ejs0619

Outer Banks
First Name
Emily
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
How many miles on your Outer Banks? If you're under 12K you can probably take it back to your dealer to get this fixed under warranty. It's a fairly common issue. I don't believe anyone has definitively identified the cause, but in general there are only a few issues (mostly installation errors) that can cause noise like this and they are fairly easy to fix.

If you're beyond 12K miles it's unlikely you will be successful in making a warranty claim. Your best bet in that case (IMHO) is to take your car to a competent, trustworthy independent shop and tell them what the problem is. In most cases they can effect a repair that doesn't require replacing the brake pads.
I'm at almost 15k miles :( bummer. Thank you for your response!
Sponsored