First paint chip...and it's a doozy

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Just frustrated. It's obviously a new vehicle. I park in the dead center of the parking space, leaving plenty of room on both sides. I always park at the very end of the lot, but it fills up quickly on the daily since my Forest is one of the most visited in the country. To make matters worse, the repair needs to be immaculate so my dealer doesn't decrease the trade in offer.

I usually wouldn't let something like this ruin my day. It's just stuff, after all. But I've made it such a point to keep it perfect.
I hate people and their laziness and asshole tendencies. I park out as far as I possibly can, on an end space hugging the wide line if possible. If I see two really nice cars and I have to take my chances that's the best I can hope for. Vans..NO. old pickups...NO...anything pre-2020 NO...and shit still happens.

That sincerely isn't bad..touch up and you won't even see it. Upside most of the body is aluminum
Sponsored

Funkygus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
This pissed me off to no end when I owned a Miata, had more than a few people ding one side or another. Sorry this happened to you :frown:

Did get my revenge with my Jeep though. Put on some rock sliders that extend out a little passed the door. Every now and again I spot a bit of paint on the sliders and giggle, knowing someone slammed their door into a tube of steel.

BronzeSmokeBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
So you think me giving my best whack at a careful self-repair with a ScratchesHappen touch up kit will be enough for the dealer not to care? I'll also have to find out how to buff out the scratch since I've never had to do that before. But, I'm a quick learner.
The kit will come with the colored paint and some clear coat. Both come in little jars. It will also come with a variety of brushes and tooth pics. I recommend cleaning the area off first with rubbing alcohol, then take a tooth pic and dip it in the paint....carefully and slowly dab the paint from the tooth pic and slowly fill in the area on your BS. Do not over fill it. Take a break and let it dry if need be and add more if you need too.....Then once its all touched up, meaning you filled in the area and can no longer see metal or the white subcoat, then once dry you can add the clear coat. That you can lightly brush on. The goal is to not make the touch up a huge blob.

Meguirs makes a product called Scratch-X, its my favorite. You can use a microfiber rag or foam polishing sponge to polish the scratched area.

Amazon.com: Meguiars G10307 7 Oz ScratchX : Automotive

OP
OP
Elegance

Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The kit will come with the colored paint and some clear coat. Both come in little jars. It will also come with a variety of brushes and tooth pics. I recommend cleaning the area off first with rubbing alcohol, then take a tooth pic and dip it in the paint....carefully and slowly dab the paint from the tooth pic and slowly fill in the area on your BS. Do not over fill it. Take a break and let it dry if need be and add more if you need too.....Then once its all touched up, meaning you filled in the area and can no longer see metal or the white subcoat, then once dry you can add the clear coat. That you can lightly brush on. The goal is to not make the touch up a huge blob.

Meguirs makes a product called Scratch-X, its my favorite. You can use a microfiber rag or foam polishing sponge to polish the scratched area.

Amazon.com: Meguiars G10307 7 Oz ScratchX : Automotive
I bought the kit with the primer as well since I'm down to bare metal. I'll do a coat of primer, several thin coats of paint until I'm satisfied, then I'll hit it with the clear coat.

Just got off work so I'm going to track down the Meguiar's right now. Thanks for the tips!

Moltenburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL w prem, 360, shelf. VW Arteon
Yeah like others said this is a cake ding to hide. No actual dent. buy a ford touch up pen. Here is the trick release some paint onto a piece of foil. then use a toothpick to fill it in. But not to heavy. Wait to dry, then do it again and again. On the 3rd or 4th touch up application you will see it has filled to level with the surrounding paint. No dealer is going to be looking for that covered up as such on trade day.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
And a guy that appraises cars all day will notice a self touch up.
Small door dings are expected on used vehicles--no appraiser is going to devalue the vehicle for small door dings. You can find many guides online describing the difference between normal use wear and damage requiring repair or reconditioning for used cars.

Last edited:

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
A week after I bought mine i picked up the Ford touch up paint.
It’s really cool, had the rough edge tip for smoothing out a chips edge, then paint and sealer all in one tube. Works pretty good.
As for the woman that called your wife a Bi~arch, idda had to pray and ask God for strength because I’d be wanting to Carve that word in her door with Six inch tall letters.

Deleted member 6599

I would recommend installing the air designs side moldings to prevent future dings.
Ford Bronco Sport First paint chip...and it's a doozy 12B1FBF8-196D-4E88-990F-7C4B2614B749

OP
OP
Elegance

Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would recommend installing the air designs side moldings to prevent future dings.
Ford Bronco Sport First paint chip...and it's a doozy 12B1FBF8-196D-4E88-990F-7C4B2614B749
I don't think it would've helped with this one. It was on the very edge of the rear door high above the wheel well. Looked like a truck taller than the Sport did it, so nothing would have been deflected.

And to each their own, but I'm not huge on how they look. I'd love a pair of rock sliders at some point if any manufacturers begin to offer them.

John2Names

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger
Get some touch up paint from Ford and work it carefully. If you do it right you will barely be able to see it. Of course you will know it’s there but you will eventually forget its there.

OP
OP
Elegance

Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kit will be here by tomorrow evening. Gave the car a good wash and wax today in preparation. I also managed to buff out the small scratch behind the chip. I'll keep you all posted on how my fix turns out.

MySoupIsTooHot

Outer Banks
First Name
Hilton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport HPR
i guess that answers the question on whether the other, non-additional cost, colours are tri-coat or not.
Sponsored