Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I'm so fortunate that my office is connected to my National Forest's Visitor Center, so there are loads of people in and out of our lot every day. Great for public interface, but there is no safe place to park my Bronco. A wonderful person left me a parting gift before heading out to the Forest this morning:

Ford Bronco Sport First paint chip...and it's a doozy 20220614_121835

Ford Bronco Sport First paint chip...and it's a doozy 20220614_120610

This is my rear driver's side door. The chip is down to the metal, and there's a scratch, too. How?!?!?! That must've been a very aggressive door ding!

I've got a $500 deductible on my comprehensive, so I guess this one is out of pocket for me. I had been keeping it absolutely pristine to protect the trade in value for when my Badlands comes. This wouldn't feel so bad if it was my fault.
Sponsored

Adam CW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I genuinely don’t understand why people hit other peoples cars. There’s absolutely no excuse for it.

The only explanation is that they are a-holes.

If some a-hole parked very close to me I would still avoid hitting their car. It’s really not difficult.

That’s why I park far away from people. I’d rather walk the extra distance and not have to deal with damage. It’s a real headache to fix.

Art4All

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Sport Outer Banks - Cyber Orange
Well damn, sorry that happened. I echo what @RS1 said. Why can't people be a little nicer. Accidents happen - but own up to it.

Adam CW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A woman parked next to us at a gas station. The spaces were very wide so there should have been minimal risk of contact. The woman opened her door and hit the side of our car. My wife confronted her and checked for damage. The woman was outraged, didn’t care and didn’t understand why my wife cared. She called my wife a bitch and left.

That’s the kind of person who hits your car.

OP
OP
Elegance

Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just frustrated. It's obviously a new vehicle. I park in the dead center of the parking space, leaving plenty of room on both sides. I always park at the very end of the lot, but it fills up quickly on the daily since my Forest is one of the most visited in the country. To make matters worse, the repair needs to be immaculate so my dealer doesn't decrease the trade in offer.

I usually wouldn't let something like this ruin my day. It's just stuff, after all. But I've made it such a point to keep it perfect.

BronzeSmokeBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Touch Up Paint | ScratchesHappen--- direct link to the paint.

And the dealer would not notice this repair, never in all my new cars I've traded in, have they looked the vehicle over, AT ALL! Maybe just a quick walk around, that's it. And if you get paint that matches correctly, it will be hardly noticeable.

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
Just frustrated. It's obviously a new vehicle. I park in the dead center of the parking space, leaving plenty of room on both sides. I always park at the very end of the lot, but it fills up quickly on the daily since my Forest is one of the most visited in the country. To make matters worse, the repair needs to be immaculate so my dealer doesn't decrease the trade in offer.

I usually wouldn't let something like this ruin my day. It's just stuff, after all. But I've made it such a point to keep it perfect.
I wouldn't be too concerned about this affecting trade in value. It's so small that once it's repaired it won't be visible unless you put your face an inch away from the paint.

OP
OP
Elegance

Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't be too concerned about this affecting trade in value. It's so small that once it's repaired it won't be visible unless you put your face an inch away from the paint.
So you think me giving my best whack at a careful self-repair with a ScratchesHappen touch up kit will be enough for the dealer not to care? I'll also have to find out how to buff out the scratch since I've never had to do that before. But, I'm a quick learner.

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
So you think me giving my best whack at a careful self-repair with a ScratchesHappen touch up kit will be enough for the dealer not to care? I'll also have to find out how to buff out the scratch since I've never had to do that before. But, I'm a quick learner.
I've used Dr. Colorchip in the past with good success. I would think with some patience and a steady hand you could get that chip looking good as new. It is in kind of a weird spot being on a door edge so that may complicate things.

Buffing is pretty simple, just using a good rubbing compound like Meguiars and a microfiber will probably do the trick.

OP
OP
Elegance

Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, folks. Just ordered the complete kit from ScratchesHappen. Women usually have a good eye for detail, so I'm confident even with the awkward placement I can get it looking as good as new. If all goes well, the dealer will never know.

Thanks for sharing your stories and tips to help calm down my fuming anger! 🙂

LilbroncoS

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
I love how everyone so confident to do themselves. The paint is peeling. Only real way to fix is sand down smooth and blend the paint right there. Any color pen is not going to look good. And a guy that appraises cars all day will notice a self touch up. Especially on spots where usually gets dings . Thats where ford missed the ball not putting 3m door edges
Sponsored