Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
The Tech replaced the water pump. It was dripping antifreeze. Stress test psi ran at 21 when done over 60 minutes dropped to 15. Replaced new water pump so far so good. Ordered pump from Detroit they said I'm assuming that's Ford Hq . Had it the next morning , installed same day. Covered by bumper to bumper. My Ford dealer and Ford customer service did a wonderful job for me.
Like was said above, generally speaking when you pull the water pump you replace it. So, this still does not answer the question of whether it was the water pump or a seal/gasket for the water pump. I don’t doubt that there was leakage around the water pump area. Usually a water pump failure is related to the bearing which causes the pump to stop spinning and leads to overheating. There are times when someone actually catches the water pump bearing failure before it actually completely fails, which could have happened here.

In the end, it doesn’t really matter. The dealer did a good job for you getting the part quickly and installing it quickly as well. It would be nice to know what was truly wrong but it’s not a necessity. As I think was said in another thread, it does not appear to be a wide spread failure.
Sponsored

JohnT.106

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Base
The technician wasn't 100 % what it was so he replaced everything that had to do with water pump. Seals gaskets . Whatever is there for the water pump was replaced. Re stress tests. And results were 100% in the normal range. No more loss of 6 psi . That's what the receipt says. Seals gaskets. All one time part use pieces. Cleaned scrubbed surfaces before installing pump

JohnT.106

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Base
Like was said above, generally speaking when you pull the water pump you replace it. So, this still does not answer the question of whether it was the water pump or a seal/gasket for the water pump. I don’t doubt that there was leakage around the water pump area. Usually a water pump failure is related to the bearing which causes the pump to stop spinning and leads to overheating. There are times when someone actually catches the water pump bearing failure before it actually completely fails, which could have happened here.

In the end, it doesn’t really matter. The dealer did a good job for you getting the part quickly and installing it quickly as well. It would be nice to know what was truly wrong but it’s not a necessity. As I think was said in another thread, it does not appear to be a wide spread failure.
There was never any over heating because I kept having to refill reservoir. It would drop roughly every week and a half 2 inches below the max level mark which was considerably noticeable. Luckily Ford did the stress test and 21 psi at start became 15 after 60 minute stress test . So he said he was 99 % sure it has to do with water pump. They replaced everything that had to do with the water pump including the pump itself. The receipt says . Cleaned all related matted surfaces reinstalled new seals , gaskets , and replaced installed all one time use parts and reinstalled all components removed for repairs. Torqued all bolts per workshop service manual vacuum filled cooling system. Cooling system pressure test of 21 psi over a duration of 30 minutes final psi 21. No further leaks found at thus time. ... the leak was under some cover they removed and noticed residue moisture from antifreeze. The technician also said he noticed a drop fall when he removed this cover. Which all came from the water pump area apparently. This is about as specific as I cam be. He was never 100% the water pump. He did say 99% sure. Apparently it would drIp. That drip would get splattered over a surface by something I'm assuming Maybe a fan of some kind or I don't know really. Hope this clears it up a bit. Most was quoted from the invoice. It does say further investigation reveal water pump is leaking.

NeedAWaterPump

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford bronco big bend turbo
I need a water pump for a 2022 ford bronco big bend turbo, 4cyl. Dealership says it is backordered until late December, but that is unacceptable. This is a warranty issue that needs resolved asap.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
I need a water pump for a 2022 ford bronco big bend turbo, 4cyl. Dealership says it is backordered until late December, but that is unacceptable. This is a warranty issue that needs resolved asap.
They don’t make a big bend 4 cyl .They need to look up 3 cyl Big Bend unless you have a large bronco 4 Cly ?

Last edited:

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
They don’t make a 4 cyl big ben, They need to look up 3 cyl Big Ben unless you have a large bronco 4 Cly ?
They don’t make a “Big Ben” with either a 3 or 4 cylinder. :giggle:

Reactions: Jrl

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4

RJL

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
My son dropped his vehicle off at the dealer after leaking coolant and they said he needs a new water pump as well. The issue is he dropped it off in mid October and was told it would be ready November 21. Now they are telling him late December. How this water pump can be back logged this long still is ridiculous. Based on reading this it appears it has been in short supply for over a year now. At this point this will be in the dealership waiting for the part for 2 months. It seems they should extend his warranty for the two months he has lost use of the vehicle. Anyone ever have their warranty extended after excessive loss of the vehicle due to Ford not having parts?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
My son dropped his vehicle off at the dealer after leaking coolant and they said he needs a new water pump as well. The issue is he dropped it off in mid October and was told it would be ready November 21. Now they are telling him late December. How this water pump can be back logged this long still is ridiculous. Based on reading this it appears it has been in short supply for over a year now. At this point this will be in the dealership waiting for the part for 2 months. It seems they should extend his warranty for the two months he has lost use of the vehicle. Anyone ever have their warranty extended after excessive loss of the vehicle due to Ford not having parts?
You should look into Lemon Laws in your state. It may give you some bargaining power

Petroph

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FX4 F150
My water pump went at 19200 miles. Seems to be many faulty ones. Or is it common for them to go with under 20k miles on them? Luckily I only waited 3 days for diagnosis. Parts and repairs . Hopefully there was no block damage . Tech said it was hitting under the some plate they removed. And it would drop get hit by something and sprayed everywhere. Anyway . It's fixed for now.
After reading many of the comments here. It looks like many are failing between 15-20k miles. Looks like I have 14k more miles to go for me. 😅

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
After reading many of the comments here. It looks like many are failing between 15-20k miles. Looks like I have 14k more miles to go for me. 😅
Its the 1.5s that have the bad pumps and fuel injector fire recall.
Sponsored