BSBB4Les

BSBB4Les

Big Bend
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Mustang conv, '22 Bronco Sport (Spooky)
I'm no expert on unibody construction but by the looks of photos I've seen on another forum, the factory tow hitch assembly appears to be quite substantial. At a minimum, it looks like it is well suited for the tow weight designed for.
Sponsored

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2020 Edge ST, 2021 Bronco Sport First Edition
Also the $640 cost of equipping it from the factory is far cheaper (and better integrated) than having it done at the dealer after the fact. Ask me how I know. Granted we bought our BS OB off the lot, but I definitely would have sprung for the tow package had we special ordered ours.

Our hitch will mostly be used for a bike/cargo rack. I have a Yakima EXO system that is generally bolted up to my Sprinter, but will see use on the BS.
How do you like this? Any tips / tricks?

I just picked one up with the top shelf and two gear boxes. I also got a control key so all the SKS cores match, but haven't installed it yet (waiting for the "heat wave" on Wednesday into the 50s).

tburner

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Regarding your concern, I believe in the event of a rear end collision of sufficient force the bumper would cave rapidly, transferring the majority of the impact to a unibody mounted hitch even if nothing (like the aforementioned step) is mounted in the hitch receiver.
Yeah I agree with that, though in such a collision I imagine the step, if it were installed, would do little to spare the bumper. I think it'd only help in parking lot scuffles.

greenlaker

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport/'15 M-B Sprinter Crew/'01 S2000
Not really.

Bumper with OEM cutouts is $430-ish. Hitch is $180-ish. Wiring harness is $90-ish.

Definitely easier to have it pre-installed than to add later on, but to say far cheaper? Not really. Total is approximately $700, which is what I paid to do it myself. Better integrated? How so? If you buy the parts I listed it is no better integrated than coming directly from the manufacturer.
It's mostly in the labor costs that one incurrs. I've installed a number of hitches and aftermarket wiring harnesses, but I wanted the Ford unit with the sway control, etc. I took a look at the installation instructions for it and felt that it was a bit above my skillset. Plus, it's my wife's daily driver, and I didn't want her vehicle to be out of service while I worked on it.

As it was it took my Ford dealer nearly two full days to install both the hitch and wiring. They did a fantastic job though.

So yeah, the $640 installed at the factory would have been a far better value to me, even if I did feel comfortable installing the wiring. $60 less and, the biggest plus is that I wouldn't have to spend a weekend doing it.

greenlaker

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport/'15 M-B Sprinter Crew/'01 S2000
How do you like this? Any tips / tricks?

I just picked one up with the top shelf and two gear boxes. I also got a control key so all the SKS cores match, but haven't installed it yet (waiting for the "heat wave" on Wednesday into the 50s).
I dig it and had a total score as an REI "garage sale" find. Right now I just have the base and bike attachment, but plan on eventually adding the upper deck and a cargo box. Just waiting for Yakima to re-open their pro purchase program (I'm in the outdoor industry).

I can't think of any tips/tricks, as it was fully assembled when purchased, and the assembly tools were zip-tied to the rack. I did go through it and cinch everything down. The original assembler didn't engage the nylon on the locking bolt. Oops!

The hinge is the best part, and yeah, there are plenty of swinging bike racks out there. It makes access to the cargo area so easy when carrying a bike.

Biggest downside is the weight of the system. The base + bike rack is a tick over 100#, but I don't feel it on the Sprinter. I leave the base on all the time, folded as flush as it goes.

Ford Bronco Sport Factory class 2 trailer hitch opening IMG_7398

Ford Bronco Sport Factory class 2 trailer hitch opening IMG_7400

Ford Bronco Sport Factory class 2 trailer hitch opening IMG_7399

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
It's mostly in the labor costs that one incurrs. I've installed a number of hitches and aftermarket wiring harnesses, but I wanted the Ford unit with the sway control, etc. I took a look at the installation instructions for it and felt that it was a bit above my skillset. Plus, it's my wife's daily driver, and I didn't want her vehicle to be out of service while I worked on it.

As it was it took my Ford dealer nearly two full days to install both the hitch and wiring. They did a fantastic job though.

So yeah, the $640 installed at the factory would have been a far better value to me, even if I did feel comfortable installing the wiring. $60 less and, the biggest plus is that I wouldn't have to spend a weekend doing it.
I can agree with some of that.

First: the sway control is already included on ever BS regardless if towing package is included or not.
Second: Your dealer took two days to do that??? I am certainly no expert but to add the trailer hitch AND replace it with the OEM bumper took me four hours.
Third: Granted, I will agree the wiring looks a bit tougher and I have yet to do it I doubt it will take me a day and a half so I have no idea what your dealership was doing.

"the biggest plus is that I wouldn't have to spend a weekend doing it." I totally buy that, though.

Michigunman

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Not really.

Bumper with OEM cutouts is $430-ish. Hitch is $180-ish. Wiring harness is $90-ish.

Definitely easier to have it pre-installed than to add later on, but to say far cheaper? Not really. Total is approximately $700, which is what I paid to do it myself. Better integrated? How so? If you buy the parts I listed it is no better integrated than coming directly from the manufacturer.
Where did you get the parts, particularly the bumper?

Found answer in another thread. Thanks!

Last edited:

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Also the $640 cost of equipping it from the factory is far cheaper (and better integrated) than having it done at the dealer after the fact. Ask me how I know. Granted we bought our BS OB off the lot, but I definitely would have sprung for the tow package had we special ordered ours.

Our hitch will mostly be used for a bike/cargo rack. I have a Yakima EXO system that is generally bolted up to my Sprinter, but will see use on the BS.
My Ford Dealer quoted me $540 plus tax installed. Class II.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Including the correct bumper?
Cutting my bumper. I had this done on my Ford Transit Connect. It looked ok and the only way to see it was to bend down and look. When it was all done I glued on some door edge molding myself to the side cuts.
That almost hid the cut completely.

Last edited:

GaryCN

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One other thing to consider when you factor in cost is that with the factory install you get a full size spare tire.

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
If you aren't using it to tow anything, think about getting a weathertech bump step, the main purpose is to have a step so you can reach things better on the roof, but the best part about having one is if someone rear ends you, the bump step takes the brunt of the damage and saves your bumper and paint job.
I started putting hitches on all my vehicles after I got my first one around 1976 and discovered far fewer people tailgate when you've got a big old hitch and ball hanging out back there.

And, it's protection as cgparsons1983 observed. I've been rearended 3 times, twice fairly easy and once very hard and in each case I drove away with minor damage and the other vehicle was towed away.
Sponsored