fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
Your OB & ours seem to be two different animals , ours has plenty of power to get in traffic & we traded a Mustang in on it , so I would say we know what engine power is , can't say anything going up mountains , none down here .
Sponsored

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
The 1.5 is enough power. The electronics really get in the way of you getting to use it.
Enough power is somewhat subjective. If I couldn't have the 2.0L in a Bronco, I wouldn't own one. I'd like to see the HP boosted 20 in the 2.0. A little more clearance and improve the sloppy shifts would really fine tune the Badlands.

rickmorton

Outer Banks
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Had a long chat with the Bronco "guy" at the Ford dealer yesterday, asking about the power issues, the shifting, engine life, etc. Among other things, he said since my delivery Dec 24th - their first - they've only had one Sport in for service and that was a cracked screen which wasn't a service issue at all. He also said the the eco-boost engine deals with octane differently. I didn't understand the why's and how's, but he said to use 91 octane when it's hot and 87 when it's cold. Said I would see a difference in the hesitancy in acceleration I'm getting now using 87 in 110 degree Vegas heat. So will try that on my next fill-up. He also explained that the 8 speed transmission is trying to be "smart" and figure out how you drive - which is weird. So driving down the street at 40, then slowing a bit, can cause the transmission to go maybe from 6th to 3rd which is why we feel the constant changing of gears. At least I do. He was helpful.

OP
OP
johnardsg

johnardsg

Big Bend
First Name
johnard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS BigBend/2011 v6 Rav4
Had a long chat with the Bronco "guy" at the Ford dealer yesterday, asking about the power issues, the shifting, engine life, etc. Among other things, he said since my delivery Dec 24th - their first - they've only had one Sport in for service and that was a cracked screen which wasn't a service issue at all. He also said the the eco-boost engine deals with octane differently. I didn't understand the why's and how's, but he said to use 91 octane when it's hot and 87 when it's cold. Said I would see a difference in the hesitancy in acceleration I'm getting now using 87 in 110 degree Vegas heat. So will try that on my next fill-up. He also explained that the 8 speed transmission is trying to be "smart" and figure out how you drive - which is weird. So driving down the street at 40, then slowing a bit, can cause the transmission to go maybe from 6th to 3rd which is why we feel the constant changing of gears. At least I do. He was helpful.
I do feel the gear shifts all the time like you mentioned aboveā€¦ive been using sport mode ever since and saw that 45mph is using 4th gear (, i tried counting the gear changes from 0mph to 45) and with it i dont hear a lot moving rrrrrrttt noise from the transmission. Plus i love this mode as it gives me torque all the time.
When i posted the first question my BB was still under break-in but now at 2800miles, going up and down the mountain pass is easierā€¦iā€™ll do an oil change before our next long drive, i do expect smoother engine movements after that :)

Midgiesbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Within 100 miles from picking up I go to my special "break in" mountain in CT. Start from the bottom, several WOT pulls going up, then engine braking going down. It does wonders for setting rings and ya get that smell at the top from anything burning off that needs to burn off. It's a 3 mile run up or down, do it twice and then I'm satisfied. The Bronco sounds OK going up and down but I had way more fun and noise breaking in my Harley's engine that I rebuilt a few years ago with the thunderheader an all.

rneill

Outer Banks
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks, Chevy Bolt
I see, sport mode seems like itā€™s taking a while to downshift and something smells burning during uphill with sport mode for me :(...im at 55mph which should be easy, maybe it will change with more mileage
Had exactly this issue on a long uphill in North Carolina headed into north Georgia. Burning smell after uphill in sport for ~30 min.

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Had exactly this issue on a long uphill in North Carolina headed into north Georgia. Burning smell after uphill in sport for ~30 min.
Not normal. I'd get this in to be checked. If there is a transmission problem, you want a record of it on your service history.

Bigridge83

Big Bend
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Bronco Sport,ā€™18 Ford Fiesta,ā€™92 Ford Explorer
Not normal. I'd get this in to be checked. If there is a transmission problem, you want a record of it on your service history.
100% normal for a new car to burn off various chemicals/lubricants off the exhaust from manufacturing. Nothing gets the exhaust good and hot like a hard mountain pull. Btw, you should see the smoke that pours off a brand new motorcraft reman engine once it warms up. They coat the manifolds In black paint haha

OP
OP
johnardsg

johnardsg

Big Bend
First Name
johnard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS BigBend/2011 v6 Rav4
update about this, after 3000miles, did an oil change and then drove the same highway/hills going to the coast and I can definitely say that our BS BB has no more problem accelerating and passing cars easily at 60-70mph uphill.
Engine feels really smooth now, hope others see differences on theirs too :)
Sponsored