Error on mileage on my last post...Bronco Sport 2021 is at 102K mileage...

brutalcrawls

Outer Banks
First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I had posted a thread earlier in the week an I had made an error in the mileage on my 2021 Bronco Sport. Mileage is currently at 102K. I am sorry about the error but it is still at 100k plus miles. My Bronco Sport Outerbanks now has an appointment for another dianostics at a local mechanics shop. Some say that I needed to take it to other shop for a 2nd opinion.

Other then that, I'd like to say that I've always drove a Ford only because my dad say's American is best. He also worked for Ford at one point in his line of careers. I use to Drive the Bronco II at age 23 plus and eventually got the full sized Bronco later. When i heard they were bringing back the Bronco i was sooo excited to get one.

I just wanted shine more light on some of the issues I've had since I've had my Bronco. Within the first year, I've had to have oil changes done and I've noticed that every time it needed an oil change they would have to remove the whole skid plate. After several oil changes I began to have problems with the skid plate clamps and bolts falling off. Once the skid plate came loose and dragged while i was on the interstate and had to bolt back in place. Eventually I had to start buying extra bolts/clamps to replace them when they told bolts me were missing. Bolts/clamps were like 37 dollars for 4 at dealers. Which I could only get at dealers.
Still in that same year, I had to replace all four tires because the tires prematurelly wore down at an angle on both rear tires. Because I live on a reservation near the border of Colorado winters here can be harsh and tough. The lining used to cover the surrounding inside walls of the front/rear tires is made of some kind of felt like material. So, this felt like material made it easy for the wet snow to collect on it and freeze which rubbed the tires and wore them balled on the outside at an angle. The window shield was replaced once this past year. That was mostly expensive because of all the calibrations it needed for all the sensors it has. I bought an after market aluminuim skid plate last year to fixed the skid plate problem which I was so proud of. As for as the inner felt lining around the tires I carry around a crow bar to keep the ice from sticking and rubbing the tires.

Other then what I mentioned my Bronco drives great in the snow and ice. l love the GOAT modes. The heated steeringwheel and seats are great. The headlights are great at night. I only wish they made the Ford Bronco Sportā€™s transmission last longer than 102K milesā€¦. Again, I just need to know who else has these same issues with their Bronco?
Ford Bronco Sport Error on mileage on my last post...Bronco Sport 2021 is at 102K mileage... IMG_2670
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bronco Blue

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape
Yeah I have premature wear on my tires as well and I only have 20 some thousand miles. I had a Chevy Impala I bought brand new, I put 40 some thousand miles on it and the original tires were still good. Same with my Fusion with AWD that had almost 30,000 miles, original tires were still in good shape. Idk I just think Ford cheaped out on stuff tbh.

BLUEOVALRACER

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Yeah I have premature wear on my tires as well and I only have 20 some thousand miles. I had a Chevy Impala I bought brand new, I put 40 some thousand miles on it and the original tires were still good. Same with my Fusion with AWD that had almost 30,000 miles, original tires were still in good shape. Idk I just think Ford cheaped out on stuff tbh.
IIRC the tread depth on tires on these newer vehicles is less than older vehicles for Gas Mileage Ratings

Bronco Blue

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape
IIRC the tread depth on tires on these newer vehicles is less than older vehicles for Gas Mileage Ratings
That must be recent since my Fusion was a 2020. Iā€™m assuming the next generation of cars like for example, a 2019 previous gen Escape had better tires than a 2020 new gen Escape. The Fusion got the axe in 2020 so Iā€™m assuming if there was one that followed, it would have crappier tires.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
THIS POST HAS BEEN EDITED AFTER A SECOND THOUGHT.

Eventually I had to start buying extra bolts/clamps to replace them when they told bolts me were missing. Bolts/clamps were like 37 dollars for 4 at dealers.
This is not a "Ford" problem, it's a "shop" problem. Oil changes are among the least technically demanding jobs in an automotive shop, and they typically go to the least experienced technicians. It's a good idea to look over your car after an oil change for this reason.

So, this felt like material made it easy for the wet snow to collect on it and freeze which rubbed the tires and wore them balled on the outside at an angle.
Did the dealership shop personnel tell you this? Your tires did not wear unevenly due to ice collecting in the wheel well. (EDIT: See my post below. Ice impregnated with rocks, dirt, and sand could certainly behave like sandpaper on tire tread.) This is indicative of an alignment problem. Several members have posted here that their cars were not correctly aligned from the factory. I know many people rely exclusively on their dealership service personnel to let them know about things like this, but owners should take some responsibility for things such as tire wear and fluid levels that are easy to check. Checking tire wear should be high on everyone's monthly to-do list because it can save you money; the sooner you identify uneven wear the sooner you can get the issue resolved--before enough wear occurs to require new tires. How easy is it to check? Very: just stick a coin into the groove at different places on the tire's tread. If it goes farther in at one place than another then wear is uneven, and the cause should be determined.

For the record, uneven tire wear indicates either a problem with the tire, alignment, or suspension components. The fact that you had two tires wearing unevenly suggests suspension or alignment rather than bad tires, mainly because the odds of have two bad tires simultaneously are pretty high.

Last edited:

OP
OP
brutalcrawls

brutalcrawls

Outer Banks
First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
This is not a "Ford" problem, it's a "shop" problem. Oil changes are among the least technically demanding jobs in an automotive shop, and they typically go to the least experienced technicians. It's a good idea to look over your car after an oil change for this reason.

Did the dealership shop personnel tell you this? Your tires did not wear unevenly due to ice collecting in the wheel well. This is indicative of an alignment problem. Several members have posted here that their cars were not correctly aligned from the factory. I know many people rely exclusively on their dealership service personnel to let them know about things like this, but owners should take some responsibility for things such as tire wear and fluid levels that are easy to check. Checking tire wear should be high on everyone's monthly to-do list because it can save you money; the sooner you identify uneven wear the sooner you can get the issue resolved--before enough wear occurs to require new tires. How easy is it to check? Very: just stick a coin into the groove at different places on the tire's tread. If it goes farther in at one place than another then wear is uneven, and the cause should be determined.

For the record, uneven tire wear indicates either a problem with the tire, alignment, or suspension components. The fact that you had two tires wearing unevenly suggests suspension or alignment rather than bad tires, mainly because the odds of have two bad tires simultaneously are pretty high.
After replacing all tires I didnā€™t have any lore problems with uneven wearā€¦

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After replacing all tires I didnā€™t have any lore problems with uneven wearā€¦
Well, color me surprised. Are you sure your service department never performed an alignment? I've never heard of uneven tire wear caused by ice. Frankly, I can't even envision a physical means for this to occur. As you know, tires slide on ice--that's why people end up in the ditch when roads are icy. Even if your wheel wells were completely packed with ice I can't see how that would cause any appreciable tire wear.

OP
OP
brutalcrawls

brutalcrawls

Outer Banks
First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
the ice sticks to the felt inner fender coversā€¦ and yes the tires start to scrapeā€¦now I stop every time I hear that sound and pry the ice off with a crow barā€¦ to prevent tire damageā€¦Iā€™ll probably need to get a lift kit installed to for more preventionā€¦

RogueRodney

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands Atlas Blue Metallic
Well, color me surprised. Are you sure your service department never performed an alignment? I've never heard of uneven tire wear caused by ice. Frankly, I can't even envision a physical means for this to occur. As you know, tires slide on ice--that's why people end up in the ditch when roads are icy. Even if your wheel wells were completely packed with ice I can't see how that would cause any appreciable tire wear.
I guess I'm going to try to support Mark S. here, though he doesn't seem to need it.

My car was in the shop for a electrical issue, it was in the shop for about 2.5 weeks. When I got it back I noticed it was pulling to the right at speed (80+ mph). It wasn't alot, but I don't remember it happening before. Not saying it didn't just hadn't noticed it.

The work the shop did shouldn't (to my knowledge) have impacted the alignment, but I requested one. My car at that time was just barely over 1 year old and only had 9K miles on it.

My service advisor said that he suspected that the alignment issue was from the factory and given that it didn't have 12K miles on it yet that he would try to get it covered under warranty (which I guess he did as I didn't get charged).

Anyway, that is my experience, and like Mark said, you do need to know your vehicle (not blaming anyone, my ex-wife would drive her cars when there was clearly a problem and never complain, I had to periodically test it out to make sure it was running the way it was supposed to. Found her driving on it several times with under 5% oil level), things like tread wear, proper rotation, fluid levels, etc that is pretty important stuff that everyone should keep up with (if for no other reason you can never tell who had other stuff on their mind when they were working on you ride).

Happy Trails Everyone, Stay safe out there.

RR

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the ice sticks to the felt inner fender coversā€¦ and yes the tires start to scrapeā€¦now I stop every time I hear that sound and pry the ice off with a crow barā€¦ to prevent tire damageā€¦Iā€™ll probably need to get a lift kit installed to for more preventionā€¦
I understand that ice can accumulate in the wheel well, I just don't understand how it can contribute to tire wear. Ice is slippery--there's little or no friction. If there's no friction I don't see how there can be increased wear. In other words, if you lock up your wheels during an emergency stop the friction with the road will wear off a portion of the tread creating a flat spot. That doesn't happen if you lock up your wheels on ice--you just slide farther.

OP
OP
brutalcrawls

brutalcrawls

Outer Banks
First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
tire experts say that a lift may reduce tire wear in the winter seasonsā€¦itā€™s crazy I know but it did happenā€¦

OP
OP
brutalcrawls

brutalcrawls

Outer Banks
First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I guess I'm going to try to support Mark S. here, though he doesn't seem to need it.

My car was in the shop for a electrical issue, it was in the shop for about 2.5 weeks. When I got it back I noticed it was pulling to the right at speed (80+ mph). It wasn't alot, but I don't remember it happening before. Not saying it didn't just hadn't noticed it.

The work the shop did shouldn't (to my knowledge) have impacted the alignment, but I requested one. My car at that time was just barely over 1 year old and only had 9K miles on it.

My service advisor said that he suspected that the alignment issue was from the factory and given that it didn't have 12K miles on it yet that he would try to get it covered under warranty (which I guess he did as I didn't get charged).

Anyway, that is my experience, and like Mark said, you do need to know your vehicle (not blaming anyone, my ex-wife would drive her cars when there was clearly a problem and never complain, I had to periodically test it out to make sure it was running the way it was supposed to. Found her driving on it several times with under 5% oil level), things like tread wear, proper rotation, fluid levels, etc that is pretty important stuff that everyone should keep up with (if for no other reason you can never tell who had other stuff on their mind when they were working on you ride).

Happy Trails Everyone, Stay safe out there.

RR
Yup

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
Sorry Mark, but ice can act like brake. I once helped an older couple who slid into a snow bank. When they got on the road, every bump they hit felt like thier brake was on. The wheel wells were full of ice, and had to be cleaned out with a tire iron.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rethinking this I can see how ice impregnated with dirt and rocks could cause tread wear--it would be like rubbing sandpaper on the tread. I was thinking just a block of ice, but that seems unlikely if the ice formed from slush thrown up into the wheel well. I love learning new stuff; good discussion!

BLUEOVALRACER

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
That must be recent since my Fusion was a 2020. Iā€™m assuming the next generation of cars like for example, a 2019 previous gen Escape had better tires than a 2020 new gen Escape. The Fusion got the axe in 2020 so Iā€™m assuming if there was one that followed, it would have crappier tires.
Every year the EPA ratings probably go up hence the reduced tread depth!!
Sponsored