Engine "Options"

BamaBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Focus RS
I am a very serious potential future owner of either a Bronco or a Bronco Sport. The final decision will come down to pricing and availability of options, but I am leaning towards the Sport due to it being a little smaller and probably less expensive to buy and drive. And although the "full-size" Bronco has a lot of cool factors, we really don't need that serious of an off-roader.
But there is one "option" (or lack of thereof) that is very frustrating to me, and I hope it is one that Ford remedies before going into production. If not for 2021, then at least by 2022, at which point I may be in better shape to buy a new vehicle anyway. That is the engine "choice" we supposedly have. Ford highlights on the Bronco Sport page that there are "Two Engine Options", but the way I look at it, I don't see any options at all. If you spec out the trim you want, you get the engine that goes with that trim, period. Personally, I don't need the off-road upgrades of the Badlands or the First Edition, but I really like (wife would say need) some of the "luxuries" of the Outer Banks that aren't even offered on the F.E.. The luxury we wouldn't have on the O.B. is the 2.0 engine, and if you ask the guys at Lincoln, you can't have luxury without POWER! To not have the 2.0 as an option on the Outer Banks is a shame, a very poor decision by the bean-counters, and most likely a deal-breaker for this and probably many other potential buyers!

I'm wondering if anyone else feels the same way about the engines, or if there are other options not available on your preferred trim model that you wish Ford would straighten out before production starts? Also, I'm wondering if Ford is listening to this forum? I looked for official ways to post comments or suggestions directly to Ford regarding the Bronco/Sport, but I did not find any.
Sponsored

Bdub

First Edition
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Just curious, what luxuries (besides engine) are offered on the Outer Banks that can't be found on the First Edition?

hawkonthego

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Fusion
Ford should have the 2.0 engine option available on all trims. At Lincoln the Corsair has the 2.0 standard with the 2.3 optional. Too bad Ford did not do the same as Lincoln did.

OP
OP
BamaBob

BamaBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Focus RS
Just curious, what luxuries (besides engine) are offered on the Outer Banks that can't be found on the First Edition?
The main ones are the power passenger seat (which is very important to my wife) and carpeted interior. I know those may seem small, but they are important to us, especially the seats.

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape Limited AWD / 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP / 2014 Mazda6 Touring
If you choose badlands trim AND add the "Badlands package" it includes heated power seat for BOTH sides, from what I understand. And Badlands trim automatically gets the 2.0L engine. However, you can't get the carpeted floor.
(and no - just choosing the Badlands TRIM doesn't get you the stuff included in the Badlands PACKAGE - it's really confusing. The trim does add some more standard stuff on top of Outer Banks, but to get the luxury stuff that the OB trim has, you have to add the badlands package TO the badlands TRIM -weird)

And I agree - the 2.0L engine should be optional for lower trims. With the FEs sold out, the lineup consists of only ONE trim level to get the 2.0L - that's stupid.
I am interested in badlands BUT I am afraid they will add the 2.3L engine in 2022.... That would be a regret.

rms34208

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape 2013 SEL
If you choose badlands trim AND add the "Badlands package" it includes heated power seat for BOTH sides, from what I understand. And Badlands trim automatically gets the 2.0L engine. However, you can't get the carpeted floor.
(and no - just choosing the Badlands TRIM doesn't get you the stuff included in the Badlands PACKAGE - it's really confusing. The trim does add some more standard stuff on top of Outer Banks, but to get the luxury stuff that the OB trim has, you have to add the badlands package TO the badlands TRIM -weird)

And I agree - the 2.0L engine should be optional for lower trims. With the FEs sold out, the lineup consists of only ONE trim level to get the 2.0L - that's stupid.
I am interested in badlands BUT I am afraid they will add the 2.3L engine in 2022.... That would be a regret.
Not sure the engine compartment has the size available for 2.3 l engine, check on a Ranger , measure the opening. Engine with turbo appears large.

Bdub

First Edition
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
The main ones are the power passenger seat (which is very important to my wife) and carpeted interior. I know those may seem small, but they are important to us, especially the seats.

Sheesh, you would think the First Edition would have all of the bells and whistles.

OP
OP
BamaBob

BamaBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Focus RS
2.3 should fit in the Bronco Sport....fits in the Corsair that is based on the Escape
The 2.3 fits nicely in my Focus RS, would love to have 350hp/350tq in a Bronco Sport!

Voidoid

Outer Banks
First Name
Ara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Subaru Outback
Sheesh, you would think the First Edition would have all of the bells and whistles.
BDub, I'm in the same boat as BamaBob. It's not that the First Edition doesn't have the bells and whistles. But it comes with 17" off-road wheels ONLY versus the 18" all-surface on the Outer Banks, which is much more useful for my needs. I'm buying this to be a surf-mobile so a little off-roading on sand can be expected but by far it will be more of a daily driver.

It's a matter of "options", why can't Ford actually offer an "option" on the danged engine for the Outer Banks? Or the "option" of different wheels on the First Edition?

Slickrock

Badlands
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
I am a very serious potential future owner of either a Bronco or a Bronco Sport. The final decision will come down to pricing and availability of options, but I am leaning towards the Sport...
So am I, and I'm leaning Sport because....

I still live in SoCal, so the wildest I see is some dirt roads a couple times a year

The interior space between the two is pretty damn similar.

Sport will be available almost a year earlier.

$$$

Wife is not a fan of the full size Bronco yet.

The options packages on both are confusing as hell. It's clear for the Sport that you'll want Badlands+Badlands, unless you happen to see a FE on a dealer lot for flat MSRP.

If we get the 2.3, that will probably be in another 2-3 years.. not sure I want to wait that long, with no guarantee.

No carpet is a plus for me.. I keep my vehicles a while.. and carpet always looks bad eventually.

Slickrock

Badlands
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
BDub, I'm in the same boat as BamaBob. It's not that the First Edition doesn't have the bells and whistles. But it comes with 17" off-road wheels ONLY versus the 18" all-surface on the Outer Banks, which is much more useful for my needs. I'm buying this to be a surf-mobile so a little off-roading on sand can be expected but by far it will be more of a daily driver.

It's a matter of "options", why can't Ford actually offer an "option" on the danged engine for the Outer Banks? Or the "option" of different wheels on the First Edition?
They've been doing this for years. Same reason the only colors on dealer lots in SoCal will be white, black, and silver. :D

Slickrock

Badlands
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
2022 not likely.. 2023 or 2024 once the sales settle. maybe. Depends on if you really need something now or not.

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape Limited AWD / 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP / 2014 Mazda6 Touring
Also: does anyone know if the stop/start feature of the 2.0L can be disabled?

Bdub

First Edition
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I sure hope so. People hate the new Subaru's with the feature and I hate it on my F150 company truck. I'm pretty sure there are aftermarket options available to disable stop/start.
Sponsored