Badlands
First Name
Elden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Hi Everyone,
I will be posting in this thread on updates for my trail rig build as well as some of the trails i take it on. Feel free to suggest accessories / mods as well as post photos of your build for reference. Questions are welcome of course. I may also be asking questions on here so please chime in if you have insight.

Current Specs:
Mode: Ford Bronco Sport - Badlands in Cactus Gray
Packages / Accessories: Tow Pkg, splash guards, 360 Assist +
Tires / Wheels: Pirelli Scorpion ATR 225/65/17 on standard wheels

Ford Bronco Sport Elboy’s Badlands Build / Adventure Journal CD4B51F9-A6B8-4159-81F6-23228286ADD3
Ford Bronco Sport Elboy’s Badlands Build / Adventure Journal 356AA004-FC3C-4757-8384-4EFCB5F2D415

Ford Bronco Sport Elboy’s Badlands Build / Adventure Journal BA259B63-AC00-4617-A9D1-06732508B201
Sponsored

OP
OP
Elboy

Elboy

Badlands
First Name
Elden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Any suggestions on a good looking roof rack? I’m really wanting to make this look fully kitted. It looks pretty bare to me right now. Anybody know of any rugged looking roof racks? Honestly not looking to spend over 750ish (and that is still pretty high for my budget) on a roof rack. The yakima lock n load platform caught my eye. I’ll be looking into that one for now

OP
OP
Elboy

Elboy

Badlands
First Name
Elden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
how is the body roll in tight turns?
feels like it does better than my ‘10 forester. it’s still hard for me to gauge how well it does, but for the natural right turns that i’ve made so far on pavement the car felt fairly planted on the ground but body roll still slightly noticeable when doing quick u-turns and such. but no outstanding issues as far as body roll, when it comes to (my) real world driving.

BroncoFan1

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
In a lot of videos I've watched, reviewers mention how the hood is big when looking out from the driver seat. Have you had any difficulty parking in parking spaces at store parking lots without using the front camera?

OP
OP
Elboy

Elboy

Badlands
First Name
Elden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
In a lot of videos I've watched, reviewers mention how the hood is big when looking out from the driver seat. Have you had any difficulty parking in parking spaces at store parking lots without using the front camera?
they’re not wrong. the boxiness of the hood gives you less visibility of the ground near the front corners of hood, but now with about a week of owning the BS, i’m getting used to the dimensions and honestly i think because of the boxy nature of the hood i just keep an eye on the corners and as long as those have some space pulling into a tight parking space, the bumpers should have around the same space to work with. main takeaway, you get used to it and you learn the dimensions of the car. parking will get more confident. i have tried to use the front camera a couple times for parking, and tbh at that point i would rather just trust my knowledge of the dimensions than press a button to view the space in front of my car.

BroncoFan1

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
they’re not wrong. the boxiness of the hood gives you less visibility of the ground near the front corners of hood, but now with about a week of owning the BS, i’m getting used to the dimensions and honestly i think because of the boxy nature of the hood i just keep an eye on the corners and as long as those have some space pulling into a tight parking space, the bumpers should have around the same space to work with. main takeaway, you get used to it and you learn the dimensions of the car. parking will get more confident. i have tried to use the front camera a couple times for parking, and tbh at that point i would rather just trust my knowledge of the dimensions than press a button to view the space in front of my car.
Thank you Elboy!

OP
OP
Elboy

Elboy

Badlands
First Name
Elden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
7 days so far of owning it and i feel like it had a proper test of what it’s capable of for my needs. Highway & city driving, light off-road trails with 6-7” water crossings, mountain driving (dry conditions), mountain driving (heavy snow conditions).

i went up the mountain to snowboard for the seasons first proper powder day but with heavy snow all day. i put it in slippery mode and throttle inputs were noticeable different and preferable in the snowy / icy conditions i was in. foot off the gas i felt the car slow down on its own and throttle is very gradual to avoid slippage.

on the way down the mountain brought an unexpected ‘road trip’. the usual 1.5 hours to get down the mountain turned to 7 hours. the bad conditions going down the mountain claimed many cars to be stranded / towed out, and an accident that caused most of the traffic. cars were slipping left and right, leaving the road obstructed by those cars. review of the front seats, they were very comfortable and surprising! maybe i didn’t expect much from them but my Forester would give me back and butt aches every one and then, in the BS Badlands (no BL pkg) i was very comfortable the whole way. we used seat warmers but they get pretty hot so i used them on low setting, then turned off after 5 min since the seat stayed pretty warm.

i was using the Pirelli tires and am satisfied with them, BUT i do wish i had some snow rated tires like the Wildpeaks. The Pirellis did fine tho, braking was adequate on snow. But after driving in those conditions (southern ca resident not used to heavy snow driving), I would like some extra confidence with better tires so i am contemplating trading in my tires and getting wildpeaks or open country’s.
Ford Bronco Sport Elboy’s Badlands Build / Adventure Journal 54251AFE-03FC-4F55-846F-F401F309101F
Ford Bronco Sport Elboy’s Badlands Build / Adventure Journal 4D4CCFF3-1A72-44A1-82EE-9B713441BB04

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2020 Edge ST, 2021 Bronco Sport First Edition
These updates / insights are great, @Elboy

Glad to see you enjoying getting familiar with the BS.

Ultraspaz

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
7 days so far of owning it and i feel like it had a proper test of what it’s capable of for my needs. Highway & city driving, light off-road trails with 6-7” water crossings, mountain driving (dry conditions), mountain driving (heavy snow conditions).

i went up the mountain to snowboard for the seasons first proper powder day but with heavy snow all day. i put it in slippery mode and throttle inputs were noticeable different and preferable in the snowy / icy conditions i was in. foot off the gas i felt the car slow down on its own and throttle is very gradual to avoid slippage.

on the way down the mountain brought an unexpected ‘road trip’. the usual 1.5 hours to get down the mountain turned to 7 hours. the bad conditions going down the mountain claimed many cars to be stranded / towed out, and an accident that caused most of the traffic. cars were slipping left and right, leaving the road obstructed by those cars. review of the front seats, they were very comfortable and surprising! maybe i didn’t expect much from them but my Forester would give me back and butt aches every one and then, in the BS Badlands (no BL pkg) i was very comfortable the whole way. we used seat warmers but they get pretty hot so i used them on low setting, then turned off after 5 min since the seat stayed pretty warm.

i was using the Pirelli tires and am satisfied with them, BUT i do wish i had some snow rated tires like the Wildpeaks. The Pirellis did fine tho, braking was adequate on snow. But after driving in those conditions (southern ca resident not used to heavy snow driving), I would like some extra confidence with better tires so i am contemplating trading in my tires and getting wildpeaks or open country’s.
Ford Bronco Sport Elboy’s Badlands Build / Adventure Journal 54251AFE-03FC-4F55-846F-F401F309101F
Ford Bronco Sport Elboy’s Badlands Build / Adventure Journal 4D4CCFF3-1A72-44A1-82EE-9B713441BB04
I have the Wildpeaks and while driving on snow/ice covered backroads last night I was thinking I wish I had ordered the Pirellis. I'm glad I read your post so I know they wouldn't have helped. Falkens were fine braking and taking off but I found myself losing traction on snow covered curves much more then I did with my Escape's all seasons. Since I live in a snowy state I think I'm going to follow the lead of another thread and consider buying dedicated snow tire/rims for winter and leaving the Wildpeaks for summer fun.

OP
OP
Elboy

Elboy

Badlands
First Name
Elden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
I have the Wildpeaks and while driving on snow/ice covered backroads last night I was thinking I wish I had ordered the Pirellis. I'm glad I read your post so I know they wouldn't have helped. Falkens were fine braking and taking off but I found myself losing traction on snow covered curves much more then I did with my Escape's all seasons. Since I live in a snowy state I think I'm going to follow the lead of another thread and consider buying dedicated snow tire/rims for winter and leaving the Wildpeaks for summer fun.
yeah i think at this point if you do a lot of winter / snow driving and priority is for great handling in those conditions, just grab some winter tires. in my case, in southern california it doesn’t snow often and if it does the roads melt fairly quick. a great all terrain tire with decent snow capability would be perfect for me. but again, with small throttle / brake inputs i wasn’t slipping that much. only when i was doing brake checks / flooring from a stop (just to test capability)

Wyo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL, 1968 Bronco, 2018 Expy
Thanks for the updates! My BL is supposed to arrive in about a month and I opted for the Falken Wildpeaks as I'm a fan of those on my Expy's and they are great in the snow and all-around. Can't beat a studless type snow tire for the winter but I haven't seen the need for it on either of my Expy's which both have Wildpeaks.

OP
OP
Elboy

Elboy

Badlands
First Name
Elden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Thanks for the updates! My BL is supposed to arrive in about a month and I opted for the Falken Wildpeaks as I'm a fan of those on my Expy's and they are great in the snow and all-around. Can't beat a studless type snow tire for the winter but I haven't seen the need for it on either of my Expy's which both have Wildpeaks.
seems like the wildpeaks are a crowd favorite!