Does the BS fuel door lock or not? Anyone else concerned about this?

dkaiser1945

Outer Banks
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
I have a Outer Banks and when the doors are locked, the gas flap is locked also. I just tried it and it locks.
Sponsored

jwitherspoon

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I have a Outer Banks and when the doors are locked, the gas flap is locked also. I just tried it and it locks.
Has anyone else confirmed this? I also have an Outer Banks and locked or not the gas door opens.

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
I just went and locked my Badlands and the fuel door did not lock. I pushed on the right side and it popped open and the door next to it was locked.

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3
I have an OB. Doors locked. Gas door opened.

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
Anyone have a part number for a locking fuel plug that will work on the Sport? Ford parts guy says there's nothing listed yet.

mooner44

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Last edited:

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Anyone have a part number for a locking fuel plug that will work on the Sport? Ford parts guy says there's nothing listed yet.
I've found at least for now a lot of parts are shared between the sport and the 20-21 escape and the MKZ. Seems easier to find specific parts that are basic commodity parts.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
I'll say this much about the fuel cap, and this is something almost none of you have to deal with... Out here in Oregon, we typically, by law, can't pump our own gas (shoutout NJ!). So every station has a pump worker that handles that for you. (That's a whole other topic...) All in all, that makes a locking cap inconvenient in the extreme.

Anyhow, I swear one of them must have pushed the wrong side of the fuel door trying to open it. On the hinge side, my door is slightly lower than the body panel. On the opening side, it's a nice flush fit to the body. Maybe it's been like that and I've only recently noticed, or maybe not. Or maybe it can be adjusted somewhere? Anyone else that happens to get near the fuel door... is it pretty flush fit all around? I feel like I should add an "open here" sticker or something.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I'll say this much about the fuel cap, and this is something almost none of you have to deal with... Out here in Oregon, we typically, by law, can't pump our own gas (shoutout NJ!). So every station has a pump worker that handles that for you. (That's a whole other topic...) All in all, that makes a locking cap inconvenient in the extreme.

Anyhow, I swear one of them must have pushed the wrong side of the fuel door trying to open it. On the hinge side, my door is slightly lower than the body panel. On the opening side, it's a nice flush fit to the body. Maybe it's been like that and I've only recently noticed, or maybe not. Or maybe it can be adjusted somewhere? Anyone else that happens to get near the fuel door... is it pretty flush fit all around? I feel like I should add an "open here" sticker or something.
That's crazy...law?? I...I don't even know where to begin.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
We... do things different. Proponents argue that it creates jobs. Opponents argue that it creates long waits and gas lines. Honestly, it probably does both. It doesn't mandate 1 worker/pump so usually one person services 4-6 handles, thus long waits at a busy spot. There are a bunch of weird rules in it. Like, you can pump your own diesel, but not unleaded. Also, motorcycles can pump their own, but not cars or trucks. They suspend the rule for late night, rural stations (defined by population of the county) and also in emergencies like when a town is being evacuated for a wildfire.

Unpleasant minimum wage jobs aren't exactly scarce though. I'd rather pump my own and not wait with 8 idling cars trying to get to one of 6 pumps. Some people like having someone else do the work and not get fuel-finger. But doesn't everyone have Purell and wipes on board these days? Also, then no one else needs to work the fuel door.

My previous truck had a tab so you knew where to open it. But it was also a regular capped fuel neck. I went through 5 gas caps in 15 years because the pumpers would click, click, click, click it and the seal would quit. Tah-dah, P0456.

Gatordog69

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Sport BB
Guessing NJ and Oregon will have next on the ballot that the supercharger stations be manned as well so no one can plug their own electric car in. I mean the rational is the same? No?
Move away from the electric cord Karen! You are in NJ dammit.

jazzdab

Big Bend
First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport

mooner44

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
The locking fuel plug with part number 8U5Z-9C268-B does not fit my Big Bend. Has anyone else tried this part?
Ya, there is also that plug on the door that you would have to detach correct?
Sponsored