Does the BS fuel door lock or not? Anyone else concerned about this?

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I forgot to test whether the push-to-open fuel door opens or is locked when the vehicle is locked (a possility)? Otherwise, you're wide-open to anyone who wants to mess with you're vehicle, so am thinking about the Ford Easy-Fuel locking plug ($25). Some guys complain about unlocking and pulling it every time but really, put the key on your key fob (or put on your "gas" fob and leave it in the truck) and just do it if you want to be sure...? (You could leave the whole kit in the console storage or elsewhere inside the truck for times you don't need to be bothered.)
Sponsored

First Name
Rodrigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awaiting
When I tried this either in the locked or unlocked state, I was able to open the fuel door flap.

OP
OP

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
When I tried this either in the locked or unlocked state, I was able to open the fuel door flap.
Thought so...I'd rather have anyone attempting to mess with it just move on to an easier target. A determined miscreant can get past the 2 filler flaps, but might not mess with a locked cap. You can store the locking plug and/or key inside, anyplace easily found like the console storage bin under the armrest. $25. Use it or not, at least you'd have that choice. So easy to provide a fuel door release, I wonder why Ford doesn't do that?

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Thought so...I'd rather have anyone attempting to mess with it just move on to an easier target. A determined miscreant can get past the 2 filler flaps, but might not mess with a locked cap. You can store the locking plug and/or key inside, anyplace easily found like the console storage bin under the armrest. $25. Use it or not, at least you'd have that choice. So easy to provide a fuel door release, I wonder why Ford doesn't do that?
Added cost and complexity, I cleaned up my small syphon hose I've used on my generators and tried to get It into my tank, could not. If someone got a hose down in the fuel it would be so small they'd have a long wait while filling up a 2 gallon gas can.

OP
OP

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Added cost and complexity, I cleaned up my small syphon hose I've used on my generators and tried to get It into my tank, could not. If someone got a hose down in the fuel it would be so small they'd have a long wait while filling up a 2 gallon gas can.
So complex...insert a key and pull the plug...about as much motion as unscrewing the old-style cap. Like I said, easily stored in the vehicle for those times you want it, or don't. It's a cheap option, not everybody will like or want it. But anyway an extractor could quickly and efficiently remove fuel.

Then of course there's vandalism...I doubt that, since a standard unleaded fuel nozzle fits, suddenly all Fords are immune and this system will keep a determined vandal out.

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
A plus of the capless fuel filler is it is fairly siphon proof. and you need a special funnel to get something in the tank.

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB
A plus of the capless fuel filler is it is fairly siphon proof. and you need a special funnel to get something in the tank.
Someone may not know that at first attempt. Especially if gas prices start creeping up and past the $4+ a gallon range (CA already has it) Seeing a lock first thing is a big deterrent right off the bat.

OP
OP

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Someone may not know that at first attempt. Especially if gas prices start creeping up and past the $4+ a gallon range (CA already has it) Seeing a lock first thing is a big deterrent right off the bat.
...and, if the gas station fuel nozzle can get in there (past both filler neck flaps), there's a way. No way these are "siphon-proof," all that's going on here is the 2 flaps conveniently close and seal the filler neck without a screw-on cap. All you'd need is a small piece of rigid tubing to "defeat" this system (not intended to prevent it anyway) and siphon the tank. Incidentally, such small, rigid tube is provided in every Sport sold.

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB
...and, if the gas station fuel nozzle can get in there (past both filler neck flaps), there's a way. No way these are "siphon-proof," all that's going on here is the 2 flaps conveniently close and seal the filler neck without a screw-on cap. All you'd need is a small piece of rigid tubing to "defeat" this system (not intended to prevent it anyway) and siphon the tank. Incidentally, such small, rigid tube is provided in every Sport sold.
Even better, these fill tubes are less than $5 on eBay and will probably be commonplace in the Dollar Store one day. If a thief knows this, they will have one in their back pocket. A locking cap is the best way to go to ensure nobody steals or messes with your fuel.

OP
OP

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Even better, these fill tubes are less than $5 on eBay and will probably be commonplace in the Dollar Store one day. If a thief knows this, they will have one in their back pocket. A locking cap is the best way to go to ensure nobody steals or messes with your fuel.
...and, has to be equally relevant to MILLIONS of Ford vehicles besides the Sport.

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
Then they will just drill your fuel tank.

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB
Then they will just drill your fuel tank.
Yep...and locked doors on your home during the day or night only keep out honest people.

Are you old enough to remember when one could easily unlatch the hood from the front of the vehicle? People used to get car batteries stolen quite frequently back then until they started making the hood release inside the vehicle like they all are today. Also back in the 1970's and 1980's, when gas prices went crazy, people used to get gas siphoned out of their fuel tanks, especially when the fill neck was often located right behind the license plate. My Dad bought a simple keyed locking gas cap to prevent that. Ah....the good old days.

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
Mine will be sitting for days and overnights at remote sites. Have always used a locking fuel cap when it's parked at trailheads and canoe launches. Will use a locking fuel cap on the Sport also.