Does 2.0L engine use cylinder deactivation like the 1.5?

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Having lived in the mountainous West Coast states for 50+ years, I'm just going to throw this bite of wisdom out there.
Larger engines live longer.
Sorry, that's just a fact of it. If your daily drive involves pulling the vehicle up long grades and climbing over mountains to get from here to there, then the engine that works less goes the farthest. Not the last 1/4 mile up your street. I mean miles and miles of steady, steep ups and downs. 90% of my driving is on pavement, but this is why I needed to get the 2.0. The rest of the Badlands kit makes for a pretty nice ride but the car doesn't even seem to notice the mountains with the 2.0. Even the turns are smooth and solid with it. But it's pointless to argue with someone else that they need a different engine. My needs aren't everyone's needs and there are probably even some that don't care about longevity.

I also hated the Eco mode on the 1.5. Love using it on the 2.0. I almost reflexively switch to it when starting the car. IT makes enough of a difference that you have to drive it differently. The Normal mode will kick and buck until your foot gets used to the power difference. If I had bought the OB I looked at, I would not use Eco mode.

Just in case the original point of the thread is relevant, no the 2.0 does not use cylinder deactivation. Even in Eco mode.
Sponsored

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I can tell you if you know how to drive you donā€™t need any of the GOATS in the 1.5L system. Unlike the seven goat mode badazz with the 2.0 they do nothing but remap your throttle and I can do that just fine with my right foot.

TravisPNW

Badlands
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Having lived in the mountainous West Coast states for 50+ years, I'm just going to throw this bite of wisdom out there.
Larger engines live longer.
Sorry, that's just a fact of it. If your daily drive involves pulling the vehicle up long grades and climbing over mountains to get from here to there, then the engine that works less goes the farthest. Not the last 1/4 mile up your street. I mean miles and miles of steady, steep ups and downs. 90% of my driving is on pavement, but this is why I needed to get the 2.0. The rest of the Badlands kit makes for a pretty nice ride but the car doesn't even seem to notice the mountains with the 2.0. Even the turns are smooth and solid with it. But it's pointless to argue with someone else that they need a different engine. My needs aren't everyone's needs and there are probably even some that don't care about longevity.
Thank you! What you've said is exactly my point! I've been here for the last 11 years and living here is EXACTLY why I went with the 2.0L!

Just in case the original point of the thread is relevant, no the 2.0 does not use cylinder deactivation. Even in Eco mode.
That is a win in my book. My V8 Challenger had cylinder deactivation and a lot of people still complained about it... MDS (multi displacement system) engines going bad... something about bad lifters or something. I'm not an engine expert but not having it means that's one less thing that can break.

I just don't see the need for it in a 4 cyl.

Adam CW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's what makes you "terrified " , you have to be joking ,having to give the vehicle some gas to go up a hill , that is about the strangest comparison I have ever read. If all the reviews say get the 2.0 , why are all the 1.5's even being sold ? They must all be sold in Florida & we , the owners are terrified of any hills & thats why we live in Florida .
I think there are two reasons why the 1.5L models are more popular than the 2.0L model - price and fuel economy, just like any top model.

I have no doubt if that wasnā€™t the case literally everyone would opt for the 2.0L because it is objectively better than the 1.5 in every way other than fuel consumption. It feels better (stronger and more energetic) at low and higher speeds, is much quieter and very smooth.

The Badlands with the 2.0 feels like a different vehicle to the 1.5 models. Trust me, itā€™s not a small or insignificant difference. Itā€™s a big step up in many ways.

TravisPNW

Badlands
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think there are two reasons why the 1.5L models are more popular than the 2.0L model - price and fuel economy, just like any top model.
Yep... without a doubt. I don't knock people for making decisions based on their needs... but I do get a good laugh watching Tesla review videos where the guy says he's proud to own a zero emission vehicle. šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ Can't say emissions are of any importance to me at all.

If you wanna play you gotta pay a famous YouTube reviewer said... LOL... I want the added performance and going with a 1.5L to save a few bucks never crossed my mind... much like I'm running 93. I don't care about saving a few bucks on gas. I want the added performance.

Everyone's needs are different.

I have no doubt if that wasnā€™t the case literally everyone would opt for the 2.0L because it is objectively better than the 1.5 in every way other than fuel consumption. It feels better (stronger and more energetic) at low and higher speeds, is much quieter and very smooth.

The Badlands with the 2.0 feels like a different vehicle to the 1.5 models. Trust me, itā€™s not a small or insignificant difference. Itā€™s a big step up in many ways.
I saw a handful of YouTube reviews and they all said that.

For me a few extra thousand dollars more for the added performance was totally worth not having buyers remorse later.

Adam CW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We leased a 2016 Fusion with the older 1.5 and it was a good car. We didnā€™t really have any complaints or problems with it.

About two years into the lease the front bumper was scratched by someone. We took it to the dealer to be repaired and ended up with a 2017 Fusion 2.0 AWD loaner for a few days.

We could not believe how different it felt compared to our Fusion. It was almost like a different car. Itā€™s at that point we decided the 2.0 was the way to go in the future.

We had the 2.0 in our 2019 Escape Titanium AWD before getting the Badlands and it was great.

TravisPNW

Badlands
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We could not believe how different it felt compared to our Fusion. It was almost like a different car. Itā€™s at that point we decided the 2.0 was the way to go in the future.

We had the 2.0 in our 2019 Escape Titanium AWD before getting the Badlands and it was great.
For me going from a 392 Challenger to a Badlands is a downgrade from a horsepower perspective but oddly enough I am totally happy with the performance of the 2.0L... especially in sport mode.

Again... I'm glad that there is no cylinder deactivation on the 2.0L. I saw MANY reports of guys with the MDS Challengers having engine failures related to it.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
You just love to put words in other people's mouths eh? Let the butthurt flow through you! Tell me how you really feel!

You know what you should do? Drive the hell out of your 1.5 with a smile on your face. I prefer to have as much power available as possible and don't give 2 flips about saving $5 a tank on gas with 87... so I fill up with 93.

The reviews I watched DID say to get the 2.0L because the 1.5L felt underpowered.

You don't agree... nobody cares. It's nice to have choices. You got the Outer Banks because somebody told you that you'd save a few bucks and would get better gas mileage with the 1.5L...

I spent many years in Florida... it's flat as a board compared to Washington state. I meant exactly what I said... if I still lived there I'd probably have put more consideration into getting the 1.5L... here I prefer to have all the power I can get because nothing is flat here and everyone drives like they are 60... unlike Florida where they all run you over going 90 mph.

Get over yourself man. If you have anything else to say PM me and then I'll be glad to get into a pissing contest with you privately. Done responding to your hurt feelings in a public thread.

šŸ‘
What words did I put in anyones mouths , you used the word "terrifying " in describing the 1.5 , which is also laughable in on its self .

I'm in no way butthurt as you describe , the 1.5 has plenty of pep & we traded a 2012 Mustang in on the OB BS , so we both knew about power, the wife wanted the more luxurious model , not an ATV . To each their own .

TravisPNW

Badlands
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What words did I put in anyones mouths , you used the word "terrifying " in describing the 1.5 , which is also laughable in on its self.

I'm in no way butthurt as you describe

To each their own
You claim you arenā€™t butthurt but you keep responding telling me how laughable it is to want a vehicle that has more power. This was after you replied a few minutes ago and promptly deleted itā€¦ because I got the notification.

You even had other posters tell you after my response that the 2.0L is a big step up from the 1.5Lā€¦ and that bigger engines last longer. My advice to you is to quit responding to me and reply to them instead because Iā€™d love to see their responses to your claims.

At least we can agree on one thingā€¦ to each their own. What you need isnā€™t what I need and vice versa. Iā€™m out.

P.S.

What's laughable is someone who lives in the flattest state in the union otherwise known as Florida telling someone who lives in the mountainous western U.S. what kind of power they need to make it up hills with their vehicle...

šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Last edited:

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
You don't read very well do you , its about your being terrified of driving up a hill with the 1.5 thats laughable & you take for granted I've never drove on a hill or mountain with a car/truck or have lived in another State that had hills . So some guy with 50 years of experience with diving on hills says the big motors last longer , I'm pretty sure Its opinion & not scientific fact , but you go ahead & believe what ever you want though .

Sure its a step above , lets do the math , 1.5 & 2.0 , ya its a larger number all right , got ya .You still don't read well , I said it was laughable that you thought a 1.5 Engine was Terrifying , thats it & I asked what was so terrifying about it & you went on about your 2.0 will idle up a hill , thats even more laughable to even believe you won't make it up a hill with the 1.5 , is what you were insinuating & you were terrified of not making it , that is what is laughable , its you & your perception .

I never said any about the 2.0 , you did . As far as deleting a post , no idea what you are talking about , but that doesn't surprise me.

TravisPNW

Badlands
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As far as deleting a post , no idea what you are talking about , but that doesn't surprise me.
it would be from the email notifications you get from this site when you are following a thread.

But you knew that?

Please do not reply to this message. You must visit the forum to reply.
This message was sent to you because you opted to watch the thread Does 2.0L engine use cylinder deactivation like the 1.5? at 2021+ Ford Bronco Sport Forum - Broncosportforum.com with email notification of new replies. You will not receive any further emails about this thread until you have read the new messages.
If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you may disable emails from this thread or disable all emails.

I got the notification but there was no replyā€¦ which means you posted and then deleted your post. šŸ˜³

As for the rest of this new postā€¦ sorryā€¦ I skipped to the very end and didnā€™t read the rest. I donā€™t have much interest in the advice of someone living in Florida telling someone in Washington how to drive in high elevations. šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Nothing else to see here. Done responding to you. šŸ‘

PugDad

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Lilly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BSBL
What words did I put in anyones mouths , you used the word "terrifying " in describing the 1.5 , which is also laughable in on its self .

I'm in no way butthurt as you describe , the 1.5 has plenty of pep & we traded a 2012 Mustang in on the OB BS , so we both knew about power, the wife wanted the more luxurious model , not an ATV . To each their own .
The Outer Banks is the ā€œluxurious modelā€? Really? Compared to the Badlands? Really? Or compared to the Base? I believe the term luxurious and Bronco Sport are not a match.

CableXJ

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I was thinking initially worried about the 1.5 3 cylinder but, aside from some noise and vibrations ( expected with a 3 banger), I am happy with the engine.

I am very impressed with the BS so far.
Sponsored