FauxPaw

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I had my 2nd oil change done and I just noticed the receipt lists the oil used as 5w20. When I check the manual it states that the 2.0L should use 5w30. How much of a problem will this be? I'm in SoCal and I'm routinely in stop and go traffic in the summer heat so I'm worried about the oil getting too thin as the temps get high.
Sponsored

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
Wrong oil weight. Bring it back to the dealer.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Get it changed back ASAP. Too thin oil will not provide the required lubricity, which can dramatically increase wear of internal parts. I would avoid stop and go traffic as much as possible.

Wazzat

Outer Banks
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
I had my 2nd oil change done and I just noticed the receipt lists the oil used as 5w20. When I check the manual it states that the 2.0L should use 5w30. How much of a problem will this be? I'm in SoCal and I'm routinely in stop and go traffic in the summer heat so I'm worried about the oil getting too thin as the temps get high.
Don’t think I’ve ever seen a car broken down on the side of the road because of 5W20 vs 5W30. Take a deep breath and enjoy your ride!!!🙂

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don’t think I’ve ever seen a car broken down on the side of the road because of 5W20 vs 5W30. Take a deep breath and enjoy your ride!!!🙂
Ask yourself why the owner’s manual warns against loss of warranty for using the wrong oil grade. It needs to be changed ASAP.

Alfa 2407

Big Bend
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Ask yourself why the owner’s manual warns against loss of warranty for using the wrong oil grade. It needs to be changed ASAP.
Mark is right, this could lead to total engine failure, wrong oil weight can create a low oil pressure situation, which is bad, VERY bad, I have a buddy who did this by mistake, and it ruined his motor and did leave him stranded

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I caught that on the sticker and paperwork on my last oil change a few hours after I left the dealership and called to raise hell. They assured me the correct oil was used and it was just a typo on the sticker and paperwork. They were dumb enough to send me a survey about the service.

Unless you pull and test the oil there's no way to actually know.

Alfa 2407

Big Bend
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I would be careful trusting something like that, they could easily be lying to avoid being in hot water, in a situation like that, if I were you, no matter what they say, I would still make absolutely 100% sure that it is correct, by changing it again

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I would be careful trusting something like that, they could easily be lying to avoid being in hot water, in a situation like that, if I were you, no matter what they say, I would still make absolutely 100% sure that it is correct, by changing it again
It's a dealership. I assume they're lying. Of course it happened while I was in shift work and couldn't just make time for them to undo what had been done.

Alfa 2407

Big Bend
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
It's a dealership. I assume they're lying. Of course it happened while I was in shift work and couldn't just make time for them to undo what had been done.
I assume you eventually got it resolved?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another reason for doing your own oil changes. Unbelievable stupidity at dealerships.
Some, not all. A dealership with a service department you can trust is among the rarest of rarities, but when you find one it's like winning the lotto.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
The Bronco Sport has to be one of the hardest vehicles to change the oil. The exact same looking vehicle might use one of four different viscosities and the capacity varies even on the exact same car by build date. The best thing any owner can do is know the correct oil and capacity required for their specific car, because most techs sure as hell can't guess correctly and neither can Google.

Barry S.

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Some, not all. A dealership with a service department you can trust is among the rarest of rarities, but when you find one it's like winning the lotto.
Guess I won the lotto. My dealership, sales and service, have been terrific and a pleasure to work with.
Sponsored