Slingy

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL, 1970 T-Bird, 1972 T-Bird
Hey all! Looking to get some thoughts on what works better to capture quality video for entertainment purposes as opposed to court hearings and insurance claims. I've read that dash cams can display as fish eye and I'm not sure I want that unless there is something that is adjustable. I'd like to get something before I embark upon my Off Roadeo, NH trip. I also don't want to spend $500. on the latest GoPro so if anyone has any suggestions less expensive options speak up and let us know what you're using.
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Sounds like you need to spend some quality time over at Amazon. Most of the dashcams for sale there include video samples for comparison. Same goes for action cams. For what it's worth, it sounds like you've already identified needs that rule out most dashcams.

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
Most dash cams out there use the same hardware. They all share the same sensors/chipsets. You’re paying more for the name/useless features, than the quality. Even an older GoPro will look better than the current 400$ dash cams. I have 2 GoPro. A 3+ black and an 8 black. I’m also running a new garmin dash cam in BL. The 3+ is a 10 year old cam and looks better than the garmin. The 8 is worlds better. Image stabilization/4k/2k etc. The GoPro’s will also work far better in different lighting situations. Like you’ll get in the woods. Can get one for like 250 online. I’ll be at off rodeo this weekend in NH.

OP
OP
Slingy

Slingy

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like you need to spend some quality time over at Amazon. Most of the dashcams for sale there include video samples for comparison. Same goes for action cams. For what it's worth, it sounds like you've already identified needs that rule out most dashcams.
Thanks Mark. Yes, after extensive research between Amazon and Youtube I ordered a GoPro Hero 10. With all of the great comparisons on YT the GoPro Hero 10 kills it in every category except price but the cost is justified given the quality it produces. I wasn't sure if dash cams can produce high quality results and that's why I thought I'd check in here to seek any guidance the forum may have to offer.

davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Just the other day I was thinking about maybe picking up an action camera. I was thinking either a vehicle mount or body mount (to use when I do the Off-Roadeo in Texas later this year). How are you liking the GoPro? For me, it feels like a lot to spend, especially on a newer one. I was considering one a few models older or just a different brand maybe.

OP
OP
Slingy

Slingy

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi David, the GoPro worked out nicely. I'm glad I went that route for the sole purpose of recording the Off-Roadeo, NH. Video quality and stabilization is great as is the sound quality. After researching reviews of low ($100 - $200) and mid-priced ($200 -$300) brands they were either good in some areas but not others or they just completely sucked all together. In the end it was worth the extra money. I also made sure to use my best rewards card and a few other things to get the best deal on the latest model. Of course within a few weeks of getting that latest model the next latest model was released.

I just had a look at the GoPro website and they currently have the Gopro 9 for $249. If that deal was available when I got my 10 I would've gone for it. I never did get a dedicated dash cam but eventually I'll get around to it.

davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Thanks for the feedback.

How did you mount the Go Pro while riding? Does it happen to be on YouTube or anything?

OP
OP
Slingy

Slingy

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the feedback.

How did you mount the Go Pro while riding? Does it happen to be on YouTube or anything?

I got one of the cheapo variety mounting packs from Amazon that has way more stuff in it than I'll ever use. It comes with a windshield suction mount.

Artman Upgraded Action Camera Accessories Kit 61-in-1 Compatible with GoPro Hero 10/9/8 Black, GoPro Fusion, Max, Hero 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 Black Silver SJ4000/ SJ5000/ SJ6000 DJI OSMO Action

I never did put it up on Youtube. I'll eventually put it up there if I ever finish the editing.

davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I never did put it up on Youtube. I'll eventually put it up there if I ever finish the editing.
Oh nice. Did they mind you putting it on their BS? I was thinking of a head mounted one but a suction cup sounds better.

I was looking at the costs of attending the Off-Roadeo without the discount and thought I definitely don’t want to miss that and want to get at least some pics and video.

And I’m with you on finishing editing. I working to finish editing some VHS to digital
conversions I did when I bought my MacBook. In 2006.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slingy

Slingy

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[QUOTE="Slingy, post: 153461, member: 6436"
Oh nice. Did they mind you putting it on their BS? I was thinking of a head mounted one but a suction cup sounds better.

Not at all. Several of us brought them and some brought several cameras. It wasn't even questioned.

I was looking at the costs of attending the Off-Roadeo without the discount and thought I definitely don’t want to miss that and want to get at least some pics and video.

You will not be disappointed. I almost planned a trip to Texas or Moab but thankfully they finally opened the New Hampshire course to the Bronco Sport.

And I’m with you on finishing editing. I working to finish editing some VHS to digital
conversions I did when I bought my MacBook. In 2006.

Wow that MacBook was the cat's pajamas back in '06. The purchase was well justified to get that editing done. That's what Macs are for! If only we had the time and patience to learn and get it done.

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Buy once cry once and just get an insta 360 camera. Sold my go pro 8 for one and it's a way more functional camera. Could essentially use as a dash cam and interior cabin facing cam at the same time. Just my 2 cents.

davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Buy once cry once and just get an insta 360 camera. Sold my go pro 8 for one and it's a way more functional camera. Could essentially use as a dash cam and interior cabin facing cam at the same time. Just my 2 cents.
Oh yeah! I'll check those out. I think I've seen them on motorcycle rides.

I just don't know if this would be the Off-Roadeo would be the only time I use it. Would be a bit of a waste but I could hopefully get some good footage.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Would you mind posting a pic of how you mounted the insta 360 ? And which insta 360 do you recommend ?

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Just the other day I was thinking about maybe picking up an action camera. I was thinking either a vehicle mount or body mount (to use when I do the Off-Roadeo in Texas later this year). How are you liking the GoPro? For me, it feels like a lot to spend, especially on a newer one. I was considering one a few models older or just a different brand maybe.
Where do you have it mounted and what type of mount are you using?

Honestly not up to speed on the GoPro's. Did you run a
separate power source or just using the camera battery?

Thanks

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Would you mind posting a pic of how you mounted the insta 360 ? And which insta 360 do you recommend ?
I actually don't have it mounted in my BS I use it on my motorcycle or any outdoor stuff we do, snowboarding, wakeboarding, etc. But wouldn't be hard to mount it's basically filming in every direction at all times. I have the insta 360 x3. Works great and has nice large touchscreen
Sponsored