Outer Banks
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco sport
Hello All,

I was looking at my reservoir and noticed it was below the min line. Is this ok? I can see some coolant in the tub. I just had the vehicle in for a oil change (the package) yesterday at the dealer and all was ok according to them. Just wondering if I should bring this up with them. The engine was hot and now cold with same observation.
Sponsored

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Technically, the coolant level at ambient temperature should be between the min and max marks on the resovoir. You or the dealer could add some coolant, otherwise, watch the level to make sure it's not dropping over time which could indicate a possible leak in the cooling system.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Generally speaking, engines do not use coolant. A loss of coolant has been one of the first symptoms reported by those who've experienced failed water pumps. I would refill it to the max line and watch it closely over the next few months. If it drops past the min line in a month or less you have a leak.

Last edited:

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Just to add that this symptom is not unique. Several people here have had the same issue. Some have found that the water pump is leaking, sometimes so slowly that it never leaks enough to end up on the ground.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Small weep hole in the water pump? At what mileage point does the water pump possibly fail?

baja_bob

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I've had to add coolant a couple of times now, its been down close to the MIN level a few times in 60,000 miles.

SC21

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
this is a known issue. Dealer did a pressure test and confirmed it was the water pump, a known defective part. Ford has issued, per the dealer, a "Stop Repairs and Replacements" until further notice. It may be 6 months or more. Advised to check and top off as needed. Average about once every week or two. Use Motorcraft 50-50 antifreeze / coolant.

hockeywookie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I’ve had to refill mine a few times, dealer did a pressure test and couldn’t find any leaks.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Hello All,

I was looking at my reservoir and noticed it was below the min line. Is this ok? I can see some coolant in the tub. I just had the vehicle in for a oil change (the package) yesterday at the dealer and all was ok according to them. Just wondering if I should bring this up with them. The engine was hot and now cold with same observation.
Hi there. This coolant concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your Bronco Sport. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Small weep hole in the water pump? At what mileage point does the water pump possibly fail?
Of the water pump failures reported here, that I remember, I don't think there is a pattern to the mileage of the vehicle when the pump began to leak. There have been nearly new BS's with a leaky water pump and then some with 25-30k miles. I don't think there is a real pattern here, and if there was, Ford probably would have a recall or TSB for it. To my knowledge, there are not any communications from Ford for leaking water pumps.

At least it seems the supply of the water pumps has gotten better. People were being told 3-6 month wait for a water pump. I think that is back down to a week or two now.

OP
OP
Leeford

Leeford

Outer Banks
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco sport
if the coolant is low, is there any warning signs go off on the cluster?

SgtT11B

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL, 2020 Ford Mustang GT
Hello All,

Since we're going into the summer months you could just add distilled water

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
if the coolant is low, is there any warning signs go off on the cluster?
I do not believe there is a coolant level sensor; you must visually inspect the coolant reservoir in the engine bay. The only indication you would get on the instrument panel is higher-than-normal coolant temperature. Take note of where the needle sits under normal circumstances, and if you see it higher than normal you should check your coolant level.
Sponsored