Mexray

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Bronco, 22 Badlands Bronco Sport on order
There are many smaller weight RV trailers that are being marketed to be towed by smaller vehicles… These smaller vehicles don’t have the stopping power of larger vehicles, hence the RV trailer mfg’s add brakes to compensate & you need a 7 pin connection to operate the brakes

I am facing that reality with a trailer weighing 1,500 lbs with brakes…. I’m adding a 7 pin socket, but not with a hard wired trailer brake controller on the dash… I’m running the flat 4 connector wires into the 7 pin socket for the stop lights, turn signals & tail lights - then running a new 10 gage wire ( the live battery +) from the 7 pin socket to the engine compartment with a relay at the battery, to energize the wire when the ignition is ‘on’… I’m going to use a device called ‘Echo’ which plugs into the 7 pin socket on the vehicle to control the brakes…

https://www.curtmfg.com/dm/echo-mobile-brake-controller
Sponsored

aamyotte

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS Outer Banks Area 51
I plan on cutting the 4 pin end and wiring in a 7-pin. Will mean some bracket fabrication.

When I built my utility trailer I wired a 7-pin not because of trailer size but because of corrosion on the vehicle end 4-pin connectors. The 7-pin connector on the vehicles in my area are more durable with the flap door keeping road salt out of them.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape

Mexray

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Bronco, 22 Badlands Bronco Sport on order
i mounted the 7pin socket here - where the flat 4 socket was mounted on the optional hitch from the factory… looks almost ‘stock’… haha. I was quite a tech install, but I had already installed an aftermarket exhaust system that eliminated the large rear muffler… I then had lots of room to cut the flat4 brkt & cut a hole in the alum backing plate to fit the7 pin socket…
I’m using an ‘Echo’ trailer brake device, so I only had to run the Hot Battery Pos lead up to the engine compartment with a 30 amp relay that gets energized when the engine is running…

ialso ran a switched lead to two backup lights mounted below the hitch on the bronco for improved vision when I need it - also ran same lead to the ‘backup’ pin on the 7 pin socket so that the trailer backup lights come on at the same time… cool, eh’…?