Console USB charge but no data.

warpig

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Hello all just purchased and picked a First Edition yesterday. Its been raining like crazy here in south Louisiana so I really have not played with it that much.
Anyway I use a 128gb Lexar usb stick filled with music files. It is formatted in FAT32 and the music is in a flac codec. The music is recognized by Sync3 when I plug it into the plug on the dash under the temp controls. When I plug it into the plug in the console box the music is not recognized.. Plugged it back into the dash and it works. Also my phone will do Android Auto with the dash but only shows as charging rapidly when plugged into the console box. So it does have voltage just will not communicate data.
Is the usb port in the console box only for charging and not for data? Can someone try it on theirs when they get a chance. I hope I am just doing something wrong and would be bummed if the one in the console is not data just for charging.
After writing all of this I looked at my book and it say only the USB ports located in the media bin have data capability. How stupid is that? They could not run a freaking wire to the center console for data.
Well I hope this helps someone.
Sponsored

thesavo

Outer Banks
First Name
savo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Edge SEL, 2014 Patriot, 2021 Bronco Sport OB
The Console USB ports are just a 12v to USB. Does it enable "fast charge" mode like the dash USB port?

Are you using a low-profile flash drive?

I see in the manual that you can use any USB port for an interface for sync 3. This needs another update as this seems like a typo.

From the April order guide, "console usb replaces 12v"

Ford Bronco Sport Console USB charge but no data. Screenshot_20210521-233436_Adobe Acrobat

Ford Bronco Sport Console USB charge but no data. Screenshot_20210521-233948_Adobe Acrobat

Last edited:

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Hello all just purchased and picked a First Edition yesterday. Its been raining like crazy here in south Louisiana so I really have not played with it that much.
Anyway I use a 128gb Lexar usb stick filled with music files. It is formatted in FAT32 and the music is in a flac codec. The music is recognized by Sync3 when I plug it into the plug on the dash under the temp controls. When I plug it into the plug in the console box the music is not recognized.. Plugged it back into the dash and it works. Also my phone will do Android Auto with the dash but only shows as charging rapidly when plugged into the console box. So it does have voltage just will not communicate data.
Is the usb port in the console box only for charging and not for data? Can someone try it on theirs when they get a chance. I hope I am just doing something wrong and would be bummed if the one in the console is not data just for charging.
After writing all of this I looked at my book and it say only the USB ports located in the media bin have data capability. How stupid is that? They could not run a freaking wire to the center console for data.
not sure if this matters...may be worth a try. In my effort to upload the Sync3 update, I needed a new 8G+ USB stick. The directions specifically said it must be formated to EXFAT32 not the traditional FAT32 which is a norm for most new USB devices. Maybe try to reformat to EXFAT32 and load the music?

Reactions: Jrl
OP
OP

warpig

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Hello and thanks all for the replies. My usb ports in the console as of now will not do data. In the above screenshot they may be updating these to do data on vehicles built on or after 5/10/2021. if that is the case this will not help me because my vehicle was built before then. Or will a update fix this and make them be able to connect to sync3?

Am I reading this correctly?

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
My console port doesn’t do data either. Doesn’t matter to me because I keep a stick in the one by the charging pad. Mine is a late March build with updated Sync.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
I also have that discovery when I plug my iPhone in the console usb for car play it does nothing but charge the phone,then when I plugged it into the one by charging pad CarPlay works there , I dont get why that is . Maybe I am completely lost on that subject,anyone shed some light for us technically challengEd adults.

OP
OP

warpig

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I also have that discovery when I plug my iPhone in the console usb for car play it does nothing but charge the phone,then when I plugged it into the one by charging pad CarPlay works there , I dont get why that is . Maybe I am completely lost on that subject,anyone shed some light for us technically challengEd adults.
Because Ford took the cheap way out. Personally I think we are stuck with it. To me this is unacceptable for a 42000 dollar vehicle at least that what it was after everything. I love this vehicle but not happy with some of the decisions to cheap out on some things. I have a First Edition and it doesn't even have navigation. Hopefully what Ford did spend money on works excellent because if it does not then perhaps I made the wrong choice. Time will tell.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Because Ford took the cheap way out. Personally I think we are stuck with it. To me this is unacceptable for a 42000 dollar vehicle at least that what it was after everything. I love this vehicle but not happy with some of the decisions to cheap out on some things. I have a First Edition and it doesn't even have navigation. Hopefully what Ford did spend money on works excellent because if it does not then perhaps I made the wrong choice. Time will tell.
Yes mine also is a first edition totally agree with your statement there is no excuse for cutting cost like that , garage door opener , nava , 360. + ,rain sensing wipers, lumbar for passenger, seat memory switch.They missed the mark on this one. But all in all not a bad ride.They should have done better. My humble rant for today.

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
Yes mine also is a first edition totally agree with your statement there is no excuse for cutting cost like that , garage door opener , nava , 360. + ,rain sensing wipers, lumbar for passenger, seat memory switch.They missed the mark on this one. But all in all not a bad ride.They should have done better. My humble rant for today.
You didn't HAVE to buy the First Edition model with less features......

OP
OP

warpig

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
You didn't HAVE to buy the First Edition model with less features......
I agree but its either give up these or others that matter more to me. So the correct choice was made or buy another vehicle that has all the choices. I can do without these things but I have to scratch my head why did Ford do this especially on their most expensive model. I will say this they will need to do better or lose sales in the future to other manufactures. The newness will wear off along with the nostalgia. If it was not the First Addition it would have been another manufacture. Decisions decisions and I am happy with mine.

thesavo

Outer Banks
First Name
savo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Edge SEL, 2014 Patriot, 2021 Bronco Sport OB
The console mounted USB ports are powered by a 12 volt wire. It would take a model year and a harness design change to get data from them to the SYNC module.

Last edited:

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The console mounted USB ports are powered by a 12 volt wire. It would take a model year and a harness design change to get data from them to the SYNC module.
Yes I don’t get it either,I owned a 2010 Lincoln MKS and also a 2017 mkz that had two USB in the same place and they both worked just fine, also made at this same plant location.Oh yes the MKZ was the same money as the first edition.,Very bad marketing on FORDS part out of Michigan.Totally missed the mark on this first edition, someone definitely asleep at the wheel on this.NO EXCUSE FORD.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
Frankly plugging my phone into sync is a pita when I just need a charge. I don't want car play launching all the time. I considered un installing car play until I discovered the dumb usb port.
it was done on purpose as it requires an additional 5vdc supply which adds cost. not everyone needs or wants a 24/7 sync IV line, leave as is Ford, good job.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frankly plugging my phone into sync is a pita when I just need a charge. I don't want car play launching all the time. I considered un installing car play until I discovered the dumb usb port.
it was done on purpose as it requires an additional 5vdc supply which adds cost. not everyone needs or wants a 24/7 sync IV line, leave as is Ford, good job.
Thanks for your analysis of the USB discussions, the way you explain it makes perfect sense, sorry ford motor ,and my apologies to all my fellow forum members.
Sponsored