BigBendBuck

Big Bend
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Anyone have any tips on cleaning the engine bay? Had some fun in the mud at Red Sands and now have a bit of mud under the hood.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BigBendBuck

BigBendBuck

Big Bend
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
So I was thinking of doing that. Have done it in the past with other vehicles. Called the dealership to double check and they recommended not to use a pressure washer. So I called around for a second opinion. Another dealership said to pressure wash it without removing the engine cover. And added not to use any cleaners. I’m all about pressure washing. Just wanted to see if anyone here has done it.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I have in the past just used a standard spray attachment on a hose and rinsed dirt. Try to avoid spraying into oil and oil fill or fluid areas etc. It's just going to get more dirt/mud. that's been my general approach. Obviously if you point the hose at wiring or fluid fills that's not a great idea. Capped they should handle a little splash here and there.

DISCOLEG

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Blow all the dust off first with air compressor

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
I use simple green applied with a foam gun, let set for a bit and rinse with low pressure garden hose.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
As mentioned, use Simple Green and regular hose pressure. Do not spray the alternator directly, I would also be careful about spraying any electrical connectors, for a few here water and electrical connections have caused big problems.

OP
OP
BigBendBuck

BigBendBuck

Big Bend
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
As mentioned, use Simple Green and regular hose pressure. Do not spray the alternator directly, I would also be careful about spraying any electrical connectors, for a few here water and electrical connections have caused big problems.
Just out of curiosity, what kind of problems?

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
BIgBendBuck,

The ECM connectors were subjected possibly to excess water which shorted out the ECM, causing a no run situation.
This happened during off road operation, driving through water, which obviously isn't the same as spray cleaning an engine. Just throwing the caution out there.

Froggy

Base
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford bronco sport base
Personally, I would not use any water hose to spray engine bay. I use interior dash cleaner, and a towel, and wipe whole engine compartment by hand. I have seen on several occasions, where one would spray engine compartment down, even a light spray, and a ignition coil will short out. Imo.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
also keep in mind, most dealerships and detailing shops will use water and usually a pressure washer when turning over cars. i used to hit my engine bay with armorall tire foam after rinsing. makes the engine and engine bay look brand new, and never once had any issues related to washing an engine bay.
Sponsored