Vreezy

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Isn't the back glass tinted enough, you really don't need a privacy cover?
You can see in if you walk up and cup your hands to your face against the window. My previous car of 14 years had a privacy cover so it's just something I'm used to having. But now I'm debating if I like privacy cover for peeping toms outside or if it's more for the fact it covers up the random clutter (bags and other misc cargo) so my mind sees a clean looking trunk lol.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
None of the alternates do what the intended function is, which is to allow you to pile stuff on top of each other but having access to stuff underneath without taking everything out.
I cannot disagree with that, but after seeing it in person, I didn't see much useful functionality for cargo management. The salesman actually touted the "tailgating table" functionality more than the cargo management benefit, which is why I made the Honda Element reference earlier.

It is too low to be an effective cargo cover, maybe the aftermarket will provide that. As for double-stacking cargo, there isn't that much room back there for that to become an issue for me.

As for the CMS, its very existence complicates the cargo situation - meaning you would need to have stuff that fit the resultant space it provides rather than it providing any adjustability for your cargo.

I still think the design goal was to "make something cool like the folding table thing the Element had", and let the marketing folks conjur up some other things it can be used for.

Being hard plastic and hinged, I also wondered if it could become a source for rattles at some point.

Last edited:

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
It makes a great shelved storage system. Those soft cargo totes Ive' seen pictures of could easily store under the hard shelf on this system and you would be able to store even more on top without crushing anything underneath. That is one of the benefits of this system. For $110 its less than many of the other accessories. Don't hate just because ya didn't get it LOL.

Vreezy

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I cannot disagree with that, but after seeing it in person, I didn't see much useful functionality for cargo management. The salesman actually touted the "tailgating table" functionality more than the cargo management benefit, which is why I made the Honda Element reference earlier.

It is too low to be an effective cargo cover, maybe the aftermarket will provide that. As for double-stacking cargo, there isn't that much room back there for that to become an issue for me.

As for the CMS, its very existence complicates the cargo situation - meaning you would have to have stuff that fit the resultant space it provides rather than it providing any adjustability for your cargo.

I still think the design goal was to "make something cool like the folding table thing the Element had", and let the marketing folks conjur up some other things it can be used for.

Being hard plastic and hinged, I also wondered if it could become a source for rattles at some point.
Your last point about the hard plastic made me realize every picture I've seen of the CMS there are marks and starches all along the rail system.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
It makes a great shelved storage system. Those soft cargo totes Ive' seen pictures of could easily store under the hard shelf on this system and you would be able to store even more on top without crushing anything underneath. That is one of the benefits of this system. For $110 its less than many of the other accessories. Don't hate just because ya didn't get it LOL.
Sorry, I didn't mean to trash it too hard, as many probably like it and it suits their needs.

For me, (and no, I haven't ordered or purchased yet), I stand by my observations.
It is inexpensive as options go, and it can certainly be removed for those that decide it is not for them. But if purchased, one should consider being stuck with the space-robbing rails.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
I would spend a little time and find a Sport with and without the system and draw your own conclusions for your specific needs. It was forgone conclusion that I wanted it until I evaluated it in person.

frk

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Maybe it'd be easy & effective to make some sort of square stretchy opaque fabric cover with a loop on each corner that would attach to these two clips on each side. That would provide cover at a relatively high position in the cargo area and it could roll up small for storage when not needed.

OR to go even higher I'd make a thin flat wooden board to rest on the area on each side above the hooks. The board would be hinged in the middle, front to back, so that the hinge is on the bottom and it would naturally stay flat; it and could be folded in half when not needed and stored on the floor of the cargo area.
Ford Bronco Sport Cargo Management System alternatives? 2021-BRONCO_design_cleanfloorin
Ford Bronco Sport Cargo Management System alternatives? 868c44278212234490cdaf50b114eff5

SoCalStig

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford Fusion
Once I get my Sport, I think that I may see about installing some cargo net hooks near the front and back of the cargo area at just below window height, and get a black fabric cover made up that will attach to the cargo net hooks with elastic cords or possibly even a tube with loops on the end for some structure.
Besides the obvious security benefits of a cargo cover, I also like them for transporting 1 piece fishing poles. With the reels sitting on the cargo cover, the rods shouldn't move around as much.

Molson

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Big Bend BS; '13 Subaru Impreza
Your last point about the hard plastic made me realize every picture I've seen of the CMS there are marks and starches all along the rail system.
I didn't notice that until now as well. I wonder if sticking the soft side of a velcro strip along the rail and side would allow it to move easier and without scratching it.

Willow

Big Bend
First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport - Kodiak Brown; 2008 Mustang GT
I am really surprised on a couple posts of the CMS on this thread of it not being “useful”. It came with mine and I have put it through its paces in all configurations. No issues, just do not force things in place. In the stored position is fine for cargo room. If you need more, leave it in your garage and fold the rear seats down.

I like the available divider positions, you have two and the storage position. The table top has more than one position as well so you can bring it towards the rear as a serving area, etc. It also folds in half so you can reduce your shelf size by 50% and use any of the positions. This was thought out.

Sorry folks, this is a great option. I am thinking Ford missed the boat and should have this as a standard feature as it would be great selling point, right next to the bottle opener. It is a sturdy piece of foldable plastic and just make the side panels accommodating by default. Sell just the divider/table as an option.

For those of you that cannot get this option, just look for your best alternatives. Already seeing good ideas on this thread, frk and SoCalStig are on a roll.

Last edited:

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
I saw one at a dealer and actually liked it. It slid in and out with no problems. I keep a few things in the back and this will keep them out of sight. Especially when it's parked at trailheads and canoe launches. Having the two levels and having the top level folded back to half will be easier when packing in groceries. So glad I ordered it as it's not an add on afterward.

thesavo

Outer Banks
First Name
savo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Edge SEL, 2014 Patriot, 2021 Bronco Sport OB
I'm torn. I did not add it to my OB order. Then I thought I should add it later on. When I called my dealer he said the Vin was assigned and no more changes. I am glad I added splash gurards when I did. I too will be anxious to see that the aftermarket offers as it looks like over $400 on ford parts for each side with CMS features.

Base part numbers on parts.ford.com. As always, Left side has the higher part number and non-standard naming for with and without the option. All colors are Ebony. Descriptions are confusing when you get to with 110v and less power converter. Especially as it would or would not need the 110v power converter cutout as appropriate.

7831012 - Right hand
7831013 - Left Hand

Less Load Area Cover is without CMS
With Cargo Management System is with CMS

right Side has 6 options
  • w/o CMS $425
    • 6 Speakers
    • Power inverter
  • w/o CMS $423
    • 110V
    • 10 High speakers /Sub Woofer
  • With CMS $482
    • 110V
    • 10 High speakers
  • with CMS $504
    • with 110v
    • Less Converter
    • 6 Speaker
  • With CMS $499
    • Less power Converter
    • 110 V
    • 6 Speaker
  • w/o CMD $428
    • 110 V
    • Less Power Converter
    • 6 Speakers
Left side has two options
  • With CMS $488
    • 10 high series speakers with subwoofer
    • With 6 Speakers
  • Less Load Area Cover $418

Last edited:

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
I'll like the shelf, plan on keeping it deployed all the time. Makes the opening rear window more usable. If it rattles I'll use some self stick felt.
I carry "stuff" in the winter that will be kept neatly out of sight.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Once I get my Sport, I think that I may see about installing some cargo net hooks near the front and back of the cargo area at just below window height, and get a black fabric cover made up that will attach to the cargo net hooks with elastic cords or possibly even a tube with loops on the end for some structure.
I'm picturing doing that with some Tenax style fasterners or marine canvas snaps. Add a line to each of the window sills and create a fabric piece that fits above the cargo area.
Sponsored