Car Wash problems

rmreid22

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak, 2018 Mustang GT
Not sure if you have the brake hold feature, but you have to make sure you turn that off before going into the car wash.
Slightly off topic: I have this feature but have never used it 🤔 nor do I see any need for it
Sponsored

JetLee

Big Bend
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Page 174 of the Owner's Manual:
Entering Temporary Neutral Mode:
  1. Power your vehicle on.
  2. Bring your vehicle to a complete stop.
  3. Press and hold the brake pedal.
  4. Shift into Neutral (N).
  5. Press the Manual (M), or Low (L), button.
  6. Release the brake pedal.
  7. Switch your vehicle off.
Exiting Temporary Neutral Mode:
  1. Press the brake pedal.
  2. Shift into Park (P), or power your vehicle on and shift into Drive (D), or Reverse (R).
Step 5 is what you missed.

I looked for this specifically, due to several car washes in my area, like this.

OP
OP
The Bronc

The Bronc

Big Bend
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Page 174 of the Owner's Manual:Step 5 is what you missed.

I looked for this specifically, due to several car washes in my area, like this.
Good job. You nailed it! Thanks!!!

BravoAlpha

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Expedition MAX Silverado Z71
i understand now. Learned something today. theres a prompt that came up. Stay in neutral press M. (Badlands does not have L) Neutral light starts to pulse. I’m glad this subject was brought up

rootdoc

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Yes we have the brake hold feature but it was not on. The attendant clearly knew what was going on. He had the solution as soon as we rolled the window down. The next time I go through I will ask what they are experiencing with these new cars. Fords aren't the only ones.
I had the same thing happen last week. Placed the car in N and the track made the car "jump" a little. The attendant had me turn off the automatic hold. with that, I started moving on the track. Now I know for future reference.

John2Names

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger
I go through those types of carwashes almost weekly. Never had that problem. Sounds like you had the hill anti roll device on. Nothing else you mentioned makes any sense.

RLader

Outer Banks
First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I don't exit the vehicle. You ride through on the tracks.
The car and the Manual both tell you to push the L when putting in Neutral to move car. It holds for thirty minutes and is not to be used for towing.

petegee77

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Our new Big Bend locked the rear wheels while in neutral to go through the car wash. Attendant had me press the L button in the shift knob to go forward. Anyone else have this happen?

Perhaps I wasn't clear. We entered an automatic car wash we use all the time. The attendant guides you forward onto the track. Once you are far enough forward he tells you to place the vehicle in neutral and foot off the brake. At this point rollers come up behind your rear tires and push you forward through the wash. OK. So our Bronco was clearly in neutral, we were both in the car and our seat belts were fastened. Some technology in the car sensed that the car was going forward in neutral and locked the rear wheels. This made the car wash rollers go under the rear wheels at which point the wash shut down. The attendant came over and saw the car clearly in neutral and told us to press the L in the center of the shift knob. This released the rear brake and allowed the rail system to catch the rear wheels with the next rollers through. We then went through the car wash trouble free.
YES ! On my 2nd trip to the car wash, which I always go to, I had the exact same problem. Kid kept telling me to put it in neutral but I DID have it in neutral. I tried releasing the parking brake , which I didn't put on , but no avail until I hit that L button. Been back 4 times since with no problem.

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 OBX, '20 Ecosport, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i
Never had that problem with any vehicle at the car. Last spring I was washing my '19 Edge Titanium and the high velocity blowing dryer blew my outside mirror out of its housing. It cost over $100 but the car wash reimbursed me. They said it happens quite often.

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
My Badlands displays a message if I put it in neutral telling me what to do if I want to keep it in neutral. I never really paid attention but I assume it tells me to press M.

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 OBX, '20 Ecosport, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i
I need clarification. I have a '23 OBX. I usually go to a drive-through brushless car wash. I have turned off my rain-sensing wipers. What else do I need to do to avoid any problems?

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
I need clarification. I have a '23 OBX. I usually go to a drive-through brushless car wash. I have turned off my rain-sensing wipers. What else do I need to do to avoid any problems?
Are you using a drive-in touch less car wash? The one that I use you just sit still while the machine moves around the vehicle. If that is the case for your car wash, then you don’t have to do anything else. If you are using a wash the pulls the vehicle through the wash then you have to engage neutral and then there is a message on screen that will tell you how to keep it in neutral for the wash. For whatever reason, you have to do something extra to get it to stay in neutral.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
I suggest rolling up all the windows.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
For whatever reason, you have to do something extra to get it to stay in neutral.
That's only if you decide to turn off the engine. If you leave the engine running you don't have to do anything else--just sit there in neutral with the engine running. If you turn off the engine, however, the system will shift back to PARK automatically, unless you press the "M" button on the shifter first.
Sponsored