Sillycill

Base
First Name
Priscilla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco sport
Can the Bronco Base Sport tow? And do I need to change out my bumpers? Might be a silly question lol Im fairly new at changing/upgrading cars.
Sponsored

Poolmanz Sport Bronco

First Edition
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport FE Area 51
Max Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is 2000 lbs. as Tom stated. Understand that means total towing weight- trailer plus cargo loaded in or on the trailer. Examples:
  • Trailer with jet skis or dirt bikes
  • Travel Trailer loaded with cargo- gear , food, bikes, etc.
  • Rental trailer with dirt, rocks, IKEA haul, etc.
Badlands and First Edition has a towing GVWR of 2500 lbs. - FYI

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB
Max Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is 2000 lbs. as Tom stated. Understand that means total towing weight- trailer plus cargo loaded in or on the trailer. Examples:
  • Trailer with jet skis or dirt bikes
  • Travel Trailer loaded with cargo- gear , food, bikes, etc.
  • Rental trailer with dirt, rocks, IKEA haul, etc.
Badlands and First Edition has a towing GVWR of 2500 lbs. - FYI
Pay attention to the factory specs. According to the FORD brochure below:

Base model is 1500 lbs.

BB and OB is 2000 lbs.

FE and Badlands is 2200 lbs.

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content/dam/brand_ford/en_us/brand/resources/general/pdf/guides/21Towing_Ford_Bronco_Sport_Dec3.pdf

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB
What is different mechanically between the base and the Big bend that would make towing less.
The optional tow package is not available on the base. That package includes trailer sway control. Perhaps without it, FORD engineers feel that max that it can safely tow is 1500lbs.?

ImdaJesus

Big Bend
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Can the Bronco Base Sport tow? And do I need to change out my bumpers? Might be a silly question lol Im fairly new at changing/upgrading cars.
Uhaul offers a tow package with no new bumper they just gotta cut a square out of the bumper for the tow hitch to stick out

Alfredo

Base
First Name
Alfredo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford bronco Sport

Kachadurian

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Fiat 500
The optional tow package is not available on the base. That package includes trailer sway control. Perhaps without it, FORD engineers feel that max that it can safely tow is 1500lbs.?
Hmmm. Does that mean all these people adding a Curt, Drawtight or Uhaul hitch can (and will) tow only 1,500 lbs? This is a detail that has not been made very clear.

It puts dealers in a rough spot. If they have a BB or OB on their lots they can't just say, we'll get a hitch added unless they stipullate that it can only handle 1500#.

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB
Hmmm. Does that mean all these people adding a Curt, Drawtight or Uhaul hitch can (and will) tow only 1,500 lbs? This is a detail that has not been made very clear.

It puts dealers in a rough spot. If they have a BB or OB on their lots they can't just say, we'll get a hitch added unless they stipullate that it can only handle 1500#.
I guess that FORD dealers and BS owners need to read the towing literature and towing specs provided by FORD.

In the link that I provided, it states:

REQUIRED EQUIPMENT Includes items that must be installed.*
Your New Vehicle Limited Warranty (see your dealer for a copy) may be voided if you tow without them. For trailers over 1,500 pounds – Class II Trailer Tow Package (53B) *Check with your dealer for additional requirements, restrictions and limited warranty details.

Poolmanz Sport Bronco

First Edition
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport FE Area 51
Pay attention to the factory specs. According to the FORD brochure below:

Base model is 1500 lbs.

BB and OB is 2000 lbs.

FE and Badlands is 2200 lbs.

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content/dam/brand_ford/en_us/brand/resources/general/pdf/guides/21Towing_Ford_Bronco_Sport_Dec3.pdf
S'Up Jeep Fan,
I used the specs from the Owner's Manual...so if the SALES brochure has a different number- I guess I better call FORD customer service to see which is the latest spec.
I am sure the lower number will be the answer- better safe than have your trailer sway and tip over.

Ford Bronco Sport Can the Base tow? 1628650990023

Kachadurian

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Fiat 500
S'Up Jeep Fan,
I used the specs from the Owner's Manual...so if the SALES brochure has a different number- I guess I better call FORD customer service to see which is the latest spec.
I am sure the lower number will be the answer- better safe than have your trailer sway and tip over.

Ford Bronco Sport Can the Base tow? 1628650990023
Look at the footnotes.
Sponsored