Buying Out From Under You?

Vyper

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Hi everyone,

Wanted to see if anyone else had a similar experience to myself. I picked up my First Edition less than two weeks ago and in the process of waiting for it to deliver approx a half dozen customers attempted to convince my dealership to buy it out from under me, even offering higher prices.

Thankfully, I had put a sizeable down payment to ensure this didn't happen. I got it for MSRP minus rebate. Those of you that custom-ordered likely didn't run into this, but did anyone else buying from dealer inventory deal with anything like this?

I got a good chuckle out of it at least.
Sponsored

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
Someone did purchase the BS I viewed on line & called & talked to the dealership & informed them I had a Bank check for the full amount for it & was coming to pick it up , 2 1/2 hr. drive , but had to wait till the Wife got off of work to come get it . We got there & the dealer was truthful & said since I didn't put any cash down, they sold the one I viewed online . What they did was go to one of their other dealerships & pick up one just like it & it was delivered to the dealer about five min. before we got there , they had to go over it , & give it a wash job , but it worked out , this was Jan. 29th of this year .

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
How do you know a half a dozen people tried? Is that what the dealership told you?

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco Sport
The one I bought was marked sold, but they were two hours past when they said they’d be there. You snooze you lose I guess.

OP
OP
Vyper

Vyper

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
How do you know a half a dozen people tried? Is that what the dealership told you?
My salesman directly showed me e-mail inquiries that had come in on the vehicle. He also told me about several customers trying to buy it.

I don't doubt that some of it is conjecture to try to make sure i bought the vehicle, but it still made me laugh. This particular individual has worked with me on my last 3 vehicle purchases though so I do trust him and his information.

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
My salesman directly showed me e-mail inquiries that had come in on the vehicle. He also told me about several customers trying to buy it.

I don't doubt that some of it is conjecture to try to make sure i bought the vehicle, but it still made me laugh. This particular individual has worked with me on my last 3 vehicle purchases though so I do trust him and his information.
Good! I just know how some like create that sense of "Urgency" to make you buy hahahaha!

SM05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2021 RAV4 TRD Offroad
I had a variation on it... I was getting tired of no build date and no updates from Ford a month+ back and my deadline was getting closer so I started looking around. Found a FE edition about an hour away matching my BL configuration. I was hesitant because I wanted a few items from BL that FE didn't have but went ahead and put the deposit down. I saw salesperson put sold sign on it. I did warn them that I'd need 3-4 days to make up my mind, was out of town for a few days, and would let them know then if I'm gonna pick it up or now. GM OKed that. Day and a half later they call me and say another salesman sold it. I'm like... ahhh..., doesn't sold already mean you can't sell it anymore? :curse: Again, that is with my deposit down already. Sure, I said 50/50 I'll buy it, I get it, still, don't take my deposit and don't tell me it's "sold" then. So their story goes, which I'd give some credit to, that they had a customer ready to pay cash. I strong armed them into giving me until next am to decide. I passed on it but that was a preview of high demand low availability stealership dealings. They did sell that FE shortly after.

OP
OP
Vyper

Vyper

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I had a variation on it... I was getting tired of no build date and no updates from Ford a month+ back and my deadline was getting closer so I started looking around. Found a FE edition about an hour away matching my BL configuration. I was hesitant because I wanted a few items from BL that FE didn't have but went ahead and put the deposit down. I saw salesperson put sold sign on it. I did warn them that I'd need 3-4 days to make up my mind, was out of town for a few days, and would let them know then if I'm gonna pick it up or now. GM OKed that. Day and a half later they call me and say another salesman sold it. I'm like... ahhh..., doesn't sold already mean you can't sell it anymore? :curse: Again, that is with my deposit down already. Sure, I said 50/50 I'll buy it, I get it, still, don't take my deposit and don't tell me it's "sold" then. So their story goes, which I'd give some credit to, that they had a customer ready to pay cash. I strong armed them into giving me until next am to decide. I passed on it but that was a preview of high demand low availability stealership dealings. They did sell that FE shortly after.
That is a pretty messed up situation. Did you get your Badlands yet? That would certainly make me feel better LOL

SM05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2021 RAV4 TRD Offroad
Not yet. See my signature. ?

fastlax16

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport Badlands, 2019 VW Golf R
If you believe my salesman a more senior salesperson accepted an offer to sell mine out from under me after I’d put a deposit down, then he tried to get me to accept the extra coverage the other sale included. My wife may have actually murdered him if we’d lost it because we put the deposit down instead of placing an order before the window closed.

dc73pdsgt

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
mine was a "customer cancellation" (guess someone ordered it and cancelled their order after it got to dealer). my sales guy told me about it and though it wasn't the color we were looking for we looked at it and decided to jump on it. my sales guy had to tell another salesman that he just sold it as there was another couple "thinking about it" while we were there. the other sales guy looked shell shocked.... but its ours and have had it since February. Loving it, lift kit gets installed on Friday and then may look at different wheels....

pepenikos

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I've been doing business with Inver Grove Ford in Minnesota for almost 2 decades now, and the reason is This...I placed an order on 1/2/21 for a Badlands edition, which was delivered on 4/15/21. Thats with with nothing down except my HAND SHAKE. I offered them a couple grand, but was told didn't need anymore than my hand. That's the kind of dealership I prefer.

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
Lost one dealer ordered car because the salesperson I was working with did a terrible job at explaining what I needed to do to secure the car. Guess I didn't lose it out from under me because it was never truly mine.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Lost one dealer ordered car because the salesperson I was working with did a terrible job at explaining what I needed to do to secure the car. Guess I didn't lose it out from under me because it was never truly mine.
honestly if you aren't terribly picky and have a list of MUST haves and what you can sacrifice...there are more and more on the lots. look around you'd be surprised.

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
honestly if you aren't terribly picky and have a list of MUST haves and what you can sacrifice...there are more and more on the lots. look around you'd be surprised.
Everything ended up working out. I found another BS with everything I wanted and got it at another dealer a few weeks later. Been enjoying it for two months.
Sponsored