BS going down to the Outer Banks. Anyone have issues while driving in the sand?

MikeH

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
I'm heading down to the Outer Banks next week and plan on driving on the beaches. Anyone have any issues or feedback (other than deflating the tires down to 15psi)?
Sponsored

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BS, '22 FE, '04 Audi TT, '66 Austin Moke
Air down and you should be fine. Where are you going? We go to Corolla. If there, the softest sand is the beach access dune line at the end of 12. All o.k once on beach.

cario65

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport (ordered 8/11/22)
Driven there also, never aired down using Explorer. Like mentioned, beach side is going North and is very stable but don’t get too close to water line. Return is along dune and much softer sand. In areas beach can narrow but most of way there are many lanes to travel in.

Pay attention to the tide tables!

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Neighbor across the street in Corolla doesn't air down. It's easy to do, and helps if one hasn't driven on sand. There are stations to air up near the end of 12. Rescue tows when stuck are $400.

OP
OP

MikeH

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Air down and you should be fine. Where are you going? We go to Corolla. If there, the softest sand is the beach access dune line at the end of 12. All o.k once on beach.
We've been going down for years but this is the first time in a long time I'll be driving on the beach instead of being a passenger. We usually stay in Avon but mostly fish in Buxton.

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are OBX FB pages and also OBXconnection.com to ask about beach driving down there, if you feel necessary. Lots of us have left OBXconnection the last few years, though, as the site is unmoderated and gone downhill.

I was down late last month. My wife is taking her mom for a week on the 22nd.

Have fun!

Oh, do you go down Delmarva? I always did 13 the entire way. The CBBT brochure said to take 113 instead for a good part of Delmarva, as it cuts out a lot of the lights on 13. Much better. More of 113 is even more multiple access highway-like now, too, since we started taking it.

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A positive. You may get on the Oregon Inlet Idiots FB page, if you get stuck in the sand. :)

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Talk about tracking. I post "stuck in the sand," and I get a utility winch ad in my post above.

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
In addition to airing down to 15, make sure to press the button to turn off your traction control (the one with the picture of the car and skid marks like lightning bolts under it). Traction control is meant for snow and ice and when you maneuver on sand it will use the brakes to keep you straight. Your sand drive is much nicer when it is off and your brake pads will thank you.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
In addition to airing down to 15, make sure to press the button to turn off your traction control (the one with the picture of the car and skid marks like lightning bolts under it). Traction control is meant for snow and ice and when you maneuver on sand it will use the brakes to keep you straight. Your sand drive is much nicer when it is off and your brake pads will thank you.
I agree take traction control off , but since you have a BB , you will need to go into settings to take TC off , the BL's has a convenient switch as said . I also switch to the low setting if driving slow , so as not to upshift . Of course that would depend on how fast you want to blast around in the sand .

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pretty low speed limit on OBX beaches due to many considerations. Beachgoers, folks fishing, beach not that wide.

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An Escape earlier this year. Said to be Cape Henlopen State Park, DE. DUI.

Ford Bronco Sport BS going down to the Outer Banks. Anyone have issues while driving in the sand? Escape on Beach - Copy

FriscoOBX

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Sand on ramp 44 in Buxton is always soft unless it's right after a rain...but airing down to 15 you will be fine. Because that sand is so soft, and the # of trucks with bigger tires on the beach, the ruts can get deep and sometimes hide some holes...so suggest keeping speed around 15mph as not much clearance with BB.

OP
OP

MikeH

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
First day on the beach and no issues. Mostly packed sand though so looking forward to hitting some softer sand today.
Ford Bronco Sport BS going down to the Outer Banks. Anyone have issues while driving in the sand? 20221016_102505

cario65

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport (ordered 8/11/22)
Drive out on the beach in the morning around 7-30 am. I have always been able to see the wild horses, sometimes at the surfline. Stop at ‘Northern Lights Bakery and Coffee’ across the lighthouse for some good pastries and coffee before hitting the beach in your BS.
Sponsored