Joseph

Big Bend
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I would like to start by saying that I have always been brand loyal to Ford. I always felt like I was driving a quality product. I followed the Bronco for 3 years before they appeared on the lots.
In December of 2022 I purchased a Bronco Sport Big Bend. I was attracted to it’s rugged styling and it’s size for a SUV that I could commute with, drive in the city, and thought it would be perfect getting me into my cottage!
Just shy of two months of owing it, I feel sick about my purchase. Everything about it was great, but where Ford really dropped the ball, was on the Windshield. Putting it politely, it is not up to expectations when it comes to its integrity. It is complete garbage. Three stone cracks in less than two months on a clear well travelled highway, the (QEW) going 100km hr. The pebbles were so tiny they do not warrant the term stone chip. Every tiny little tink will leave you wondering if there’s another crack!
They will explain that stone chips are not a warranty issue. They will tell you it’s the design angle of the windshield, anything to deflect any responsibility! My previous car a 2013 Ford Fusion with 500 thousand km on it never had an issue with it windshield travelling the same route for 5 years! In my opinion this Windshield is not up to a standard that I am accustomed to being in the Ford family. I’m a Ford guy, over a million miles driven in Fords, this is a drastic disappointment. If you read this, and own one, you mark my words, it’s just a matter of time before a speck of a stone tinks off your windshield leaving a star shaped crack!
Make me proud Ford, take care of loyal customers and address this issue.
When calling Ford customer relations I was told it is not a warranty issue and my file would be closed.
I know as much as I love my Bronco, I will not be able to keep it, if I constantly have to replace the windshield. $1000.00 to replace or $75.00 per crack if repairable. Why put a cheap piece of crap windshield in a Bronco?

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Windshield Integrity E2BAEBEE-C5AD-4840-82B9-DD55B1CA4773

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Windshield Integrity E1FD571E-09D9-4392-A9EC-CD43A35C649A

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Windshield Integrity 371ADDE5-C708-4EAE-8688-96EBFB0CAD8B
Sponsored

dakman

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Exactly, I'm not happy at all with this windshield situation. It is not normal.

BigPhatPaulie

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I mean you could be driving a wrangler or FJ Cruiser lol. I have had plenty of rock hits that needed repair but honestly compared to the 3 f150's I owned prior it has done better than either of those 3 had with the windshield actually cracking. Also to be fair a ford fusion has a much more raked back windshield than the BS so I am not surprised it did better. All in all I hear you it does suck but there are worse vehicles to be driving with regards to windshield issues

Blue oval fan

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport
Replaced 2 windshield on our 2019 Blazer, 1 windshield on the Bronco, 2 windshield on a 2021 Escape, 1 chip repair on my 2017 Focus. Luckily we live in a state that covers glass claims with no out of pocket expense. Go to any windshield repair facility, all brand of cars there. Not just a Ford problem. No manufacturer would cover any sort of windshield claim.

Safelite quoted sub $500 for a OEM windshield if I had to pay out of pocket, that's with 360+. $1k for a windshield seems like they are taking advantage.

GulfCoastBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Replaced 2 windshield on our 2019 Blazer, 1 windshield on the Bronco, 2 windshield on a 2021 Escape, 1 chip repair on my 2017 Focus. Luckily we live in a state that covers glass claims with no out of pocket expense. Go to any windshield repair facility, all brand of cars there. Not just a Ford problem. No manufacturer would cover any sort of windshield claim.

Safelite quoted sub $500 for a OEM windshield if I had to pay out of pocket, that's with 360+. $1k for a windshield seems like they are taking advantage.
I will be replacing a windshield soon. My concern is non OEM windshield not having any sound dampening. Not even sure if that is a thing, but there is a “SoundScreen” stamp bottom right and I have a fear of additional sound noise once I get a replacement?
Is there any rationale behind my fear?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I will be replacing a windshield soon. My concern is non OEM windshield not having any sound dampening. Not even sure if that is a thing, but there is a “SoundScreen” stamp bottom right and I have a fear of additional sound noise once I get a replacement?
Is there any rationale behind my fear?
Discuss it with the shop replacing the glass. Make sure they know what you want. Your insurance is paying to make you whole; it's up to you to make sure you get their money's worth.

GulfCoastBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Discuss it with the shop replacing the glass. Make sure they know what you want. Your insurance is paying to make you whole; it's up to you to make sure you get their money's worth.
So would you say it’s more about the install rather than the glass?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
It's both. But the shop doing the install supplies the glass, so make sure they get what you want. And if they don't make sure you tell your insurance company. They would be interested to know about a shop using subpar parts.

SapphireCat

Big Bend
First Name
Catie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I had my Ford dealer do my windshield replacement - OEM glass and they brought in a windshield guy. Other than a small issue with sealant getting on my headliner (which they also took care of) I was pretty pleased with the experience. Insurance paid the dealer.

Blue oval fan

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport
Safelite said both the OEM and aftermarket glass have the sound dampening. Request OEM glass. My replacement looked identical to the factory glass. My second windshield on my escape was aftermarket glass, there was no sounds screen stamp on it, didn't notice any additional road noise.

Dperry285

Outer Banks
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 ford bronco sport
I would like to start by saying that I have always been brand loyal to Ford. I always felt like I was driving a quality product. I followed the Bronco for 3 years before they appeared on the lots.
In December of 2022 I purchased a Bronco Sport Big Bend. I was attracted to it’s rugged styling and it’s size for a SUV that I could commute with, drive in the city, and thought it would be perfect getting me into my cottage!
Just shy of two months of owing it, I feel sick about my purchase. Everything about it was great, but where Ford really dropped the ball, was on the Windshield. Putting it politely, it is not up to expectations when it comes to its integrity. It is complete garbage. Three stone cracks in less than two months on a clear well travelled highway, the (QEW) going 100km hr. The pebbles were so tiny they do not warrant the term stone chip. Every tiny little tink will leave you wondering if there’s another crack!
They will explain that stone chips are not a warranty issue. They will tell you it’s the design angle of the windshield, anything to deflect any responsibility! My previous car a 2013 Ford Fusion with 500 thousand km on it never had an issue with it windshield travelling the same route for 5 years! In my opinion this Windshield is not up to a standard that I am accustomed to being in the Ford family. I’m a Ford guy, over a million miles driven in Fords, this is a drastic disappointment. If you read this, and own one, you mark my words, it’s just a matter of time before a speck of a stone tinks off your windshield leaving a star shaped crack!
When calling Ford customer relations I was told it is not a warranty issue and my file would be closed.
I know as much as I love my Bronco, I will not be able to keep it, if I constantly have to replace the windshield. $1000.00 to replace or $75.00 per crack if repairable. Why put a cheap piece of crap windshield in a Bronco?

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Windshield Integrity E2BAEBEE-C5AD-4840-82B9-DD55B1CA4773

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Windshield Integrity E1FD571E-09D9-4392-A9EC-CD43A35C649A

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Windshield Integrity 371ADDE5-C708-4EAE-8688-96EBFB0CAD8B
Won't insurance fix it for free most will and if it needs replaced it's usually only 50 bucks

Dantanman

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport

Will be installing our 3rd windshield in 17,000 miles. They are garbage imo. All tiny chips turned into huge cracks right away. We've never actually heard a rock hit the glass. 1800.00 Canadian. Good thing we have insurance with 200.00 deductible but still extremely annoying! Lower quality Mexican or Chinese glass I'm assuming.

OP
OP

Joseph

Big Bend
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Two words: Following distance.
I mean you could be driving a wrangler or FJ Cruiser lol. I have had plenty of rock hits that needed repair but honestly compared to the 3 f150's I owned prior it has done better than either of those 3 had with the windshield actually cracking. Also to be fair a ford fusion has a much more raked back windshield than the BS so I am not surprised it did better. All in all I hear you it does suck but there are worse vehicles to be driving with regards to windshield issues

Not sure what roads you travel, but driving into Toronto in rush hour… there is no following distance. I do agree when you are able… not to follow to close.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Ford doesn't make windshields. A glass company makes the windshield. The same glass company makes millions and millions of glass pieces for varieties of manufacturers. It's all manufactured and tested to a regulated level of safety standards to earn the seals and logos on the glass. So it feels a little odd to square the issue up on Ford. It's glass. Rock beats glass. Do they offer the same insurance benefits in CA as the US? I have a full coverage glass rider. Like $20 a year and I have $zero deductible for glass repair. I suggest it. Glass claims way outstrip any other claims I have had for a lifetime of driving. Just for kicks, I went and looked who Carlex (the Ford brand glass) makes auto glass for.

Audi
Bentley
BMW
Bugatti
Cadillac
Chevrolet
DMC
Dodge
Ford
General Motors
Honda
Hyundai