Bronco Sport Winch?

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
I did see it. But it comes from Australia so shipping could be expensive. You need to call as there is not a Bronco Sport option as of yet.
You called? They say it won’t fit the BS?
It does seem you need either some special wheel or lug nuts to get this in.
Sponsored

TCBSport

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport, 2012 Land Rover LR4 5.0L
If you’re serious about recovery the best place for a BSport winch would be the rear hitch receiver.

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
It's been probably a year ago since I was in Harbor Freight.. They had a reasonable priced winch and a mount with handles on it and a receiver hitch, I can't recall the price and weight rating, but recall thinking it would be plenty for a BS. Weighs about 80 pounds. Could carry it in
You called? They say it won’t fit the BS?
It does seem you need either some special wheel or lug nuts to get this in.
I did not call. I said that someone would need to because nothing is listed in their website for the Sport specifically. But yes it seems special lug nuts are required.

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
If you’re serious about recovery the best place for a BSport winch would be the rear hitch receiver.

I agree. But then you would need to run power all the way back or use a long jumper cable or something. I would watch 2 hard wired connections personally. I front 1 rear. My hesitation is that pulling backwards means possibly having to turn around as opposed continuing forward travel. After all that's the direction we want to go.

TCBSport

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport, 2012 Land Rover LR4 5.0L
I agree. But then you would need to run power all the way back or use a long jumper cable or something. I would watch 2 hard wired connections personally. I front 1 rear. My hesitation is that pulling backwards means possibly having to turn around as opposed continuing forward travel. After all that's the direction we want to go.
I hear you on going forward - and not to mention a winch looks awesome on the front. Until someone convinces me otherwise though I don't believe the front of our rigs is strong enough to handle a winch.

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
I hear you on going forward - and not to mention a winch looks awesome on the front. Until someone convinces me otherwise though I don't believe the front of our rigs is strong enough to handle a winch.
As for strength. I agree only if your trying to help someone else. For self recovery I disagree. Unless your saying Subarus are some super strong anomaly. They seem to remove the impact reinforcement bar and bolt up a new bumper in that location. And someone here is selling a custom steel bumper they had made. It was only holding lights but non the less it was a steel bumper added on.

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
If whatever mount you used tied it into the attach points used for the recovery hooks I believe it would be adequate.

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you watch the video, he doesn't have the winch hard wired all the way to his vehicle's battery. He's riding around with a spare battery in the back, and simply clamps the winch on for power. This is a totally 'portable type' solution for us rather than a 'fixed accessory' like you see on the Wranglers.

Going for some serious off roading? Well then, ride around with your recovery bag, spare tire, winch, and battery....all in the back. Have a problem? Well, pull everything out and get it going.

Last edited:

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree with @Mark S. There is no decent place for a winch in the front until someone fabricates a bar that would bolt on to the tow points. Not many of us are fabricators, NOR, are commercial fabricators going to spend time designing and producing these for the BS, because there just probably would not be that high of a demand for it.

So I think the only real option is a rear hitch mounted winch. It might not be the most perfect solution. But it would get you out of a jam, and that's all the winch is supposed to serve for.

It isn't hood decor, just like a farm jack isn't rack decor.

MDwayne

Big Bend
First Name
MDwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport, 18 Zion SRT, 73 VW Super Beetle
I've been thinking about a winch for my BS BB. The concern is attaching it on a unibody. I have a trailer hitch assy installed, what would be the reasons not to use that as a winch mount?
Sponsored