Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
renegade trailhawk msrp is 28,945
compass trailhawk msrp is 31,060
bronco sport BL msrp is 32,820
cherokee trailhawk msrp is 35,595

why again is the bronco sport “supposed” to be compared/cross-shopped with the $4,000 cheaper capability mismatched renegade? And the cherokee not supposed to be cross-shopped with the $3,000 cheaper bronco sport that more closely matches the capability?

since we have determined that msrp price difference is close to all 3.. we have determined that dimensions are close between the 3. The hp, torque, 0-60, and mpg are very close between the cherokee and bronco sport.

It’s becoming clear that the bronco sport and cherokee are more closely related and with be cross-shopped just as much as the the others. The claim that the low range transfer case in the cherokee throws it into a completely different class of comparison is ridiculous. It’s hypocritical of car media outlets to compare the underperforming compass and renegade and not the closely comparing in capability/size/power/price cherokee.
I considered all four of these vehicles and others (including the $40k+ 4Runner) before settling on the BS. I didn’t start with a fixed price. I started with a price range and an idea of capabilities I wanted then looked at all the pros and cons including price. I’d say it’s perfectly reasonable to compare different priced cars. That’s how we decide what we are willing to spend for certain features.
Sponsored

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
renegade trailhawk msrp is 28,945
compass trailhawk msrp is 31,060
bronco sport BL msrp is 32,820
cherokee trailhawk msrp is 35,595

why again is the bronco sport “supposed” to be compared/cross-shopped with the $4,000 cheaper capability mismatched renegade? And the cherokee not supposed to be cross-shopped with the $3,000 cheaper bronco sport that more closely matches the capability?

since we have determined that msrp price difference is close to all 3.. we have determined that dimensions are close between the 3. The hp, torque, 0-60, and mpg are very close between the cherokee and bronco sport.

It’s becoming clear that the bronco sport and cherokee are more closely related and with be cross-shopped just as much as the the others. The claim that the low range transfer case in the cherokee throws it into a completely different class of comparison is ridiculous. It’s hypocritical of car media outlets to compare the underperforming compass and renegade and not the closely comparing in capability/size/power/price cherokee.
A low range transfer case does put a car into a different, offroading, class. Here's an excellent write-up that speaks about it far more eloquently then I can.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/695543/is-low-range-dead-no-its-not-and-its-not-going-anywhere/

The Sport is the only thing that comes close in the sub 40k market. If you don't need that low range gearing I think the Sport is the better vehicle.

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
A low range transfer case does put a car into a different, offroading, class. Here's an excellent write-up that speaks about it far more eloquently then I can.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/695543/is-low-range-dead-no-its-not-and-its-not-going-anywhere/

The Sport is the only thing that comes close in the sub 40k market. If you don't need that low range gearing I think the Sport is the better vehicle.
This article is stuck in an outdated off roading school of thought that thinks off roading capability is only measured in the size of boulder one can crawl over. They believe that solid axle, body on frame, 4x4, low range vehicles are the only option for any and all serious off roading. They believe that if you’re not crawling you’re not doing “real off roading”. They refuse to realize that speed and handling can also make for a fun experience off road. The cars that race the Dakar and Baja often lack some or all the features I listed above. The x-raid Mini doesn’t have any of those (it’s 2WD for goodness sake), but I don’t think any reasonable person would argue that the Dakar isn’t “real off roading”.

tl.dr. Off roading isn’t just crawling, so low range doesn’t automatically mean better off roader.

BroncoFan1

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I bought a fully loaded Cherokee trailhawk for less than the price I was going to pay for my pre ordered fully loaded BL. Jeeps can be had for a few thousand less than MSRP. However when people do these comparisons they mostly go off of MSRP.

So that's why they compare it to the compass and Renegade. The base Sport has much more torque than most of it's competition, which what you want for off road. HP is less important, especially with no low range transfer case.
What made you decide to go with the Cherokee? I'm looking at the Bronco Sport or Cherokee but the Cherokee is more readily available.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
What made you decide to go with the Cherokee? I'm looking at the Bronco Sport or Cherokee but the Cherokee is more readily available.
I test drive both and was just way more comfortable in the Cherokee. I'm hoping the Sport is a success tho, it'll push this segment in a direction I like.

BroncoFan1

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I test drive both and was just way more comfortable in the Cherokee. I'm hoping the Sport is a success tho, it'll push this segment in a direction I like.
I test drove the Bronco Sport Big Bend and was surprised it didn’t have an auto dimming rear view mirror or remote start. For the same price, the Cherokee I looked at had way more features.

You mentioned comfortable. Are you referring to the seats or the ride quality? I need to test drive a Cherokee to get a good comparison.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
I test drove the Bronco Sport Big Bend and was surprised it didn’t have an auto dimming rear view mirror or remote start. For the same price, the Cherokee I looked at had way more features.

You mentioned comfortable. Are you referring to the seats or the ride quality? I need to test drive a Cherokee to get a good comparison.
Seats, they seemed to have a longer base. Super comfortable in long drives, I've driven 10 hours in a day in it and my butt didn't get sore. I'm not sure I can compare the ride quality, didn't drive the Sport recently enough to remember.

OP
OP

CanineChamp

First Edition
First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mork
Seats, they seemed to have a longer base. Super comfortable in long drives, I've driven 10 hours in a day in it and my butt didn't get sore. I'm not sure I can compare the ride quality, didn't drive the Sport recently enough to remember.
I agree that the seats in the BS are noticably shorter.

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape Limited AWD / 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP / 2014 Mazda6 Touring
I agree that the seats in the BS are noticably shorter.
I feel like this has ALWAYS been a Ford annoyance. 1997 Tbird, 2010 Escape... VERY short seats... IDK why the heck. It seems they never get updated with time or something.

I am trying REALLY HARD not to be tempted by the Cherokee TrailHawk right now.... one thing that helps me is that I am not planning to purchase until the 2022 B/S model year anyway...
If the Cherokee had a rear flip up glass, and a bit more squarer appearance, the fight to resist it would be much harder. The B/S wins (in my eyes) in the looks dept, clearly.

OP
OP

CanineChamp

First Edition
First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mork
I feel like this has ALWAYS been a Ford annoyance. 1997 Tbird, 2010 Escape... VERY short seats... IDK why the heck. It seems they never get updated with time or something.

I am trying REALLY HARD not to be tempted by the Cherokee TrailHawk right now.... one thing that helps me is that I am not planning to purchase until the 2022 B/S model year anyway...
If the Cherokee had a rear flip up glass, and a bit more squarer appearance, the fight to resist it would be much harder. The B/S wins (in my eyes) in the looks dept, clearly.
I traded in a 2017 Escape, the seats are shorter than those.

The Cherokee was 5th on my list. If it was a close 1/2, probably would of went Cherokee. Not a bad value. Great deals to be had. The BS was such a strong number 1 for me, anything else would of left me regretting.

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape Limited AWD / 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP / 2014 Mazda6 Touring
I traded in a 2017 Escape, the seats are shorter than those.

The Cherokee was 5th on my list. If it was a close 1/2, probably would of went Cherokee. Not a bad value. Great deals to be had. The BS was such a strong number 1 for me, anything else would of left me regretting.
What were the numbers 2-4 on your list ?

Last edited:

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
1: BS
2: lifted Outback Onyx XT
3: lifted Crosstrek Sport
4: forget the trail adventures and save a ton of money with an Escape.
My issue with the Subarus was I had a Crosstrek and the transmission overheated on me a number of times climbing a mountain out here in the Sierras. That event is what got me looking at alternatives. To be honest there's not a lot of options for a compact offroad cub anymore. The only ones I that ended up checking enough boxes for me was the Sport and the Cherokee. The Renegade and Compass didn't have enough power.

Subaru is coming out with Wilderness editions of their vehicles this year. Well see how they end up against the BS and Cherokee. No word yet on what upgrades they'll be getting.

I took my Cherokee up that same trail and it did it without issue. There was one obstacle that the Crosstrek had a ton of problems with and the Cherokee didn't even notice it was there. So far I'm happy with the purchase. I suspect all the BS edition could climb that trail ok.

Ask me again after a few years and it starts having transmission issues...lol

OP
OP

CanineChamp

First Edition
First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mork
My issue with the Subarus was I had a Crosstrek and the transmission overheated on me a number of times climbing a mountain out here in the Sierras. That event is what got me looking at alternatives. To be honest there's not a lot of options for a compact offroad cub anymore. The only ones I that ended up checking enough boxes for me was the Sport and the Cherokee. The Renegade and Compass didn't have enough power.

Subaru is coming out with Wilderness editions of their vehicles this year. Well see how they end up against the BS and Cherokee. No word yet on what upgrades they'll be getting.

I took my Cherokee up that same trail and it did it without issue. There was one obstacle that the Crosstrek had a ton of problems with and the Cherokee didn't even notice it was there. So far I'm happy with the purchase. I suspect all the BS edition could climb that trail ok.

Ask me again after a few years and it starts having transmission issues...lol
Have you seen any BSs on the road? If so, how did you feel?
Sponsored