MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I doubt the size of the engine in question. Can't outrun the radio or a chopper. But...the ability to manage off road conditions or hazardous weather situations it may come in very handy. Trust me...they can squeeze enough out of the 1.5/2.0 for basic LEO enforcement.
Very true! I say that a little tongue in cheek with the engine of course, since yes even the 1.5 would be really just fine. Actually this whole sighting brings up a good point, that the BS is probably a great fleet vehicle if they can get to producing enough. Cops, firefighters, rangers, everyone who doesn’t need a huge car but might need to get somewhere more than a car can go.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Very true! I say that a little tongue in cheek with the engine of course, since yes even the 1.5 would be really just fine. Actually this whole sighting brings up a good point, that the BS is probably a great fleet vehicle if they can get to producing enough. Cops, firefighters, rangers, everyone who doesn’t need a huge car but might need to get somewhere more than a car can go.
Oh yeah I knew you were poking fun this isn't a sports car...but I'll bet they have them as capable as possible. Our region most departments are transitioning to SUV styles and they...move on expressways. So much more technology available.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Oh yeah I knew you were poking fun this isn't a sports car...but I'll bet they have them as capable as possible. Our region most departments are transitioning to SUV styles and they...move on expressways. So much more technology available.
Ours are here too & the problem is the police interceptor utility is starting to show up as a used car here much like the crown Vic’s of the past. At least not terribly common yet. Ugh.
Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport stealth Road Pirate 1654651705009

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
It's probably a custom mix if it's Ford built. Not really any trim as you'd sell at retail. You can tell the rear glass and the roof rack rail is from a Base. The rest of the clues are all hidden from that shot... cant' even see if the license plate light is LED or not... Ford'll eventually detail it more, or it could be that department is customizing it from scratch.
https://www.ford.com/police-vehicles/

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
I hope this doesn't catch on, I don't want people to think I'm a LEO when I come up behind them on the road.
There are upsides to that -- at least on interstate and other multi-lane highways.

Left lane campers and self-appointed speed enforcement vigilantes suddenly discover the meaning of "Keep right except to pass" and "Slower traffic keep right". :cool:

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
There are upsides to that -- at least on interstate and other multi-lane highways.

Left lane campers and self-appointed speed enforcement vigilantes suddenly discover the meaning of "Keep right except to pass" and "Slower traffic keep right". :cool:
Sure, but is that enough to make up for all those that would slow down thinking a cop is behind them?

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sure, but is that enough to make up for all those that would slow down thinking a cop is behind them?
I had a retired MSP cruiser years ago. It still had the (non-operational) spot light on the A-pilar. This was back when the cops used the Chevy Impala/Caprice almost exclusively. Most drivers knew what those cars looked like. Driving that Impala was like being in a car ad -- cops waving as I blew past speed traps, left lane campers yanking their car into lane 2 when they saw me in their mirror.

However as you said, 2 lane roads could be an issue. Most of my driving was on interstates, but when I was on ordinary highways people would usually just drive the speed limit. A couple times drivers actually pulled onto the shoulder to let me by.

I can see how it might be a net negative for someone who is mostly on 2-lane roads.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I had a retired MSP cruiser years ago. It still had the (non-operational) spot light on the A-pilar. This was back when the cops used the Chevy Impala/Caprice almost exclusively. Most drivers knew what those cars looked like. Driving that Impala was like being in a car ad -- cops waving as I blew past speed traps, left lane campers yanking their car into lane 2 when they saw me in their mirror.

However as you said, 2 lane roads could be an issue. Most of my driving was on interstates, but when I was on ordinary highways people would usually just drive the speed limit. A couple times drivers actually pulled onto the shoulder to let me by.

I can see how it might be a net negative for someone who is mostly on 2-lane roads.
Closest internet pic I could find to one of our family cars growing up. At the time we had it these cars were still in current/common use, so yeah Dad rather enjoyed driving this one.
Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport stealth Road Pirate 1655163813554

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, that's
Closest internet pic I could find to one of our family cars growing up. At the time we had it these cars were still in current/common use, so yeah Dad rather enjoyed driving this one.
Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport stealth Road Pirate 1655163813554
Yep, that's it!

Add the chrome spotlight and it was enough to fool most people.

Reactions: MJE

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Yep, that's

Yep, that's it!

Add the chrome spotlight and it was enough to fool most people.
Dad used his for field work so it had a radio in it complete with giant whip antenna. Uh yeah. Dad’s best story out of it though was picking us kids up at the pool one day. Apparently a woman came up & knocked on his window to tell him she was so happy that they sent someone out to investigate the pedophile stalking kids at the pool. It probably didn’t help that in addition to the car, my Dad in aviators looked the part.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dad used his for field work so it had a radio in it complete with giant whip antenna. Uh yeah. Dad’s best story out of it though was picking us kids up at the pool one day. Apparently a woman came up & knocked on his window to tell him she was so happy that they sent someone out to investigate the pedophile stalking kids at the pool. It probably didn’t help that in addition to the car, my Dad in aviators looked the part.
I also added 2 antennas on the rear fenders, one for a CB radio, the other for a scanner. They might have coincidentally been identical the ones on MSP cruisers at the time...

I also installed aux brake lights on the rear deck, you know, for safety, and drove with the low beams on (this was before DRLs).

My employer issued us yellow rain coats similar to the ones troopers had. I thought they were smart to hang their raincoat on the hook above the left rear door, so I did that with mine.

My work uniform may have looked like a police uniform from a distance (it was dark blue) but of course there was nothing I could do about that.

The finishing touch was a 'trooper hat' on the rear deck:

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport stealth Road Pirate 1655173078217

All in all, it was pretty convincing -- and all legal.

No aviators though -- I should have had those. :cool:
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: MJE