Bronco Sport Off-Roading Capabilities

Tom House

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
I mean, I’m not gonna argue with you. Call it whatever you want, but all trims of Bronco Sport have a drivetrain that is better for off road than Subaru AWD. All trims also have better off roading suspension than Subaru. Those are just the facts. The Ford (all trims) will also be less likely to be damaged off road due to the layout of the underside. Looks have nothing to do with it. Yes the BL trim will be better and have more ground clearance, but the lower trims still have those three advantages over a Subaru off road.
Looks have pretty much everything to do with it, that's why we buy cars that we think look cool :). Buy and drive what you like! No worries! Just answering the OPs question.
Sponsored

Last edited:

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
Looks have pretty much everything to do with it, that's why we buy cars that we think look cool :). Buy and drive what you like! No worries! Just answering the OPs question.
You answered the OPs question with false information.

OP
OP

BroncoFan1

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
From what I've seen, unless you get the Badlands, there's no reason to get one of these over a Subaru other than personal preference for how the BS looks. The BS def has better approach and departure angles than a Subaru, but that's not an issue as much as people like to think it is, UNLESS you're doing trails that often require more capability than these sorts of vehicles are meant for. I really like how these BSs look, and if I was just now buying a vehicle, I'd strongly consider a BS, but prob decide against it, because they're awfully small inside. Plus, you could get a really nicely set up CPO Outback for like $10k less. My wife has a Rav-4 with AWD but I wouldn't take that off-road, it's AWD system is vastly inferior to Subaru's.
Thank you!

MRanderson

Big Bend
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
yuccamanufacturing.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Big Bend
Oddly enough I have an Outback and a BS. For 90% of stuff let’s be honest, both would work out great on road and off, and we have now done off road on both.

the big thing I haven’t seen anyone really post that comes standard on all trims of the BS is the low gearing. It’s not a traditional low where it just stays in 1-2 gears. The cars actually start in 2nd normally and 1st is some low crawling gear. If your on big rocks or steep terrain and don’t have a low gear (mock transfer case) it makes a big difference with throttle control, especially on an automatic. I used the low gear the whole drive yesterday morning on some OHV trails.

I have to admit the rebound dampening on the BS is less clunky than the outback we have, and that you can tell even on speed bumps.

Central Jersey

Big Bend
First Name
Mordechai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport big Bend
Has anyone found any videos of Bronco Sport Base, Big Bend, or Outer Banks models off-roading? I know these particular models aren't built to rock climb, but it would be nice to see what their capability is off-road. I keep finding videos of the Badlands and First Edition models off-road.

What advantages does the Bronco Sport (Base, BB, and OB) have over the competition and what is the purpose of these particular models? I was thinking I can get a Rav-4 or Subaru that are just as capable, but I get better gas mileage and they've been out a while to have any issues worked out.

I'm not against the Bronco Sport. I just thought of this question when I was watching a video of a Badlands off-road. :sunglasses:
Former 2018 RAV4 base model AWD owner here
now I am a Bronco Sport big bend owner .

there is a 18” wide ditch in front of the building I work in . About a year ago I got stuck try to cross it with the RAV4 to drop something off at the side door . last week after my Bronco Sport (BB )was delivered I decided to test it out. As I went into the ditch I felt a slight loss of power. Half a second later the vehicle switched to 4x4/AWD (whatever the system ) and turned off traction control and went right acrossed with no issues

I went with the Big Bend as that was the only vehicle in stock in my area (got it thru an independent broker that checked every dealer in Central NJ for me )I needed a new vehicle delivered ASAP. If I had the option I would have gotten a Bad Lands .

my big bend handles pavement (and potholes) smoother than a RAV4
it handles Sand / sand hills as if I am on pavement.

6” thick mud as good as an ATV .
deeper mud not so good,

Last edited:

OP
OP

BroncoFan1

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Former 2018 RAV4 base model AWD owner here
now I am a Bronco Sport big bend owner .

there is a 18” wide ditch in front of the building I work in . About a year ago I got stuck try to cross it with the RAV4 to drop something off at the side door . last week after my Bronco Sport (BB )was delivered I decided to test it out. As I went into the ditch I felt a slight loss of power. Half a second later the vehicle switched to 4x4/AWD (whatever the system ) and turned off traction control and went right acrossed with no issues

I went with the Big Bend as that was the only vehicle in stock in my area (got it thru an independent broker that checked every dealer in Central NJ for me )I needed a new vehicle delivered ASAP. If I had the option I would have gotten a Bad Lands .

my big bend handles pavement (and potholes) smoother than a RAV4
it handles Sand / sand hills as if I am on pavement.

6” thick mud as good as an ATV .
deeper mud not so good,
Thanks for the comparison betwen your RAV4 and Bronco Sport! Enjoy it!

pixlpush

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tern GSD Ebike (car free at the moment)
I had a AWD 2017 Ford FocusRS (RS2)used for overlanding, adventure rally, and rallycross. I traded that car in on the BroncoSport because I needed better approach and departure angles and even with 3" lift it would be very expensive to increase ground clearance and protect the drivetrain from damage. The BS does what I need it to do out of the box, and I got mine with an accessory credit for new tires wheels and a lift. The Bronco Sport has a much improved and beefier front structure and more drivetrain protection than the Focus and many other small Crossovers.
do you have any pics of the RS you can share? It sounds badass!

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
Jumping back in here this is a good article for folks that think the broncosport is just a lifted Escape. Even at the base level it's more capable than any other compact CUV under 40k. The only vehicle that beats it offroad is going to be the Jeep Cherokee and even that is going to just be for low speed offroading, due to the optional low range and mechanical rear locker.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021-ford-bronco-sport-escape-suspension-awd-systems-explained/

To be fair this is mostly a technical document and most information provided by Ford, however from what I've been reading with people's real world tests is that it does meet expectations.

Last edited:

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Jumping back in here this is a good article for folks that think the broncosport is just a lifted Escape. Even at the base level it's more capable than any other compact CUV under 40k. The only vehicle that beats it offroad is going to be the Jeep Cherokee and even that is going to just be for low speed offroading, due to the optional low range and mechanical rear locker.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021-ford-bronco-sport-escape-suspension-awd-systems-explained/

To be fair this is mostly a technical document and most information provided by Ford, however from what I've been reading with people's real world tests is that it does meet expectations.
Cool...learned a few things! The Badlands is that much better than I already thought!

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre

I really love the suspension more and more as I learn about it. So much of it was built with speed in mind rather than crawling. That’s perfect for what I’m down with it. I’ll rarely take it to its limit on technical trails, but I’ll often be driving miles across poorly maintained dirt roads and mild trails to get to where I’m going. Having a suspension built to handle small bumps at higher speeds (30-40mph) will be awesome.

Yeah, there are a lot of cars that can get there, but those roads will beat the crap out of normal suspension if you drive them often at anything above a crawl.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
FYI the Jeep Compass and Renegade have the exact same AWD system as the Bronco Sports. The only difference is the Badlands also has the dual clutch. So you could look for videos of those also.

https://www.gknautomotive.com/en/systems-and-solutions/all-wheel-drive-4-wheel-drive-systems/

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/four-wheel-drive-how-gkn-driveline-s-on-demand-4wd-system-works-105402.html
I actually drove those two OFF Road.
My company bought the Compass.
I spent the day with it.
It sucked off road IMO.
As for the Renegade, I did not give it an objective fair review because I hated it's cramped feel, really crappy tranny, and the low grunt engine.
They are NOT the same at all, not even close.
Similar specs on paper means little. It also has a lot more to do with the Bronco Sports suspension and that has to be experienced to understand.
Other variables like:
Gear ratios,
Low end torque,
Tires have a great effect.
No the BS is new better tech as a package.
It's not a rock climber,
It's a better all around grocery getter :')

Last edited:

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The lower trims don't have 4WD. They have AWD. They are front wheel drive cars with the ability to send some power to the rear wheels. And I said the main advantage is approach and departure angles. It's perfectly fine to prefer the rugged looks of a BS, I think they look badass too, but for a driver who is wondering whether the lower trim BS has a decided advantage over a Subaru, the answer is absolutely not for what that driver is likely to use the vehicle for. If you have to ask, it means you aren't off-road enough to be putting a vehicle in positions that require more capability than a Subaru. That's the point here.
I wouldn't say "absolutely not," whether it's locked (4WD/rear "diff") or not, in Subaru and Sport reviews I've seen the 4WD systems in the Sport -- Badlands -- seem to work better -- particularly without that Subaru CVT. Now about "4WD" --which is your requirement, locking 4WD, rear end, or both? Or is it low range? Or body-on-frame? All of the Sports can send 50% torque to the rear at any time, since they are all 4A all the time unless locked (Badlands/First Ed.). This incidentally is also a driving mode in the BRONCO.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Oddly enough I have an Outback and a BS. For 90% of stuff let’s be honest, both would work out great on road and off, and we have now done off road on both.

the big thing I haven’t seen anyone really post that comes standard on all trims of the BS is the low gearing. It’s not a traditional low where it just stays in 1-2 gears. The cars actually start in 2nd normally and 1st is some low crawling gear. If your on big rocks or steep terrain and don’t have a low gear (mock transfer case) it makes a big difference with throttle control, especially on an automatic. I used the low gear the whole drive yesterday morning on some OHV trails.

I have to admit the rebound dampening on the BS is less clunky than the outback we have, and that you can tell even on speed bumps.
1st is 4.69:1, final drive 3.80:1. 250 hp and 277 torque at only 3707 lbs., it doesn't need a "low range." Crawl ratio is 18:1 vs. Cherokee Trailhawk at 20:1, isn't that good enough? It also makes for pretty great highway acceleration with the twin-scroll 2.0LT.