Dcamp

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado
I wouldn't say "absolutely not," whether it's locked (4WD/rear "diff") or not, in Subaru and Sport reviews I've seen the 4WD systems in the Sport -- Badlands -- seem to work better -- particularly without that Subaru CVT. Now about "4WD" --which is your requirement, locking 4WD, rear end, or both? Or is it low range? Or body-on-frame? All of the Sports can send 50% torque to the rear at any time, since they are all 4A all the time unless locked (Badlands/First Ed.). This incidentally is also a driving mode in the BRONCO.
Six years back my wife bought a brand new Outback. Offroad capabilities aside, neither one of us could get used to the CVT transmission. Liked so much about that car but the CVT just never felt right and took some fun out of driving. We traded the car in after 3 years. Do others feel the same way or are my wife and myself a weird anomoly? Do others prefer the CVT?
Sponsored

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
1st is 4.69:1, final drive 3.80:1. 250 hp and 277 torque at only 3707 lbs., it doesn't need a "low range." Crawl ratio is 18:1 vs. Cherokee Trailhawk at 20:1, isn't that good enough? It also makes for pretty great highway acceleration with the twin-scroll 2.0LT.
First, I'm purely talking about low speed offroading here, HP is useless, and 18:1 is not good enough to safely navigate the tougher trails. Cherokee's come in 3 different AWD configurations AD1, AD2(low range transfer case), and AD2+Locker. With AD1 it'll perform basically the same as the non Badlands Sport. With AD2 the crawl ratio is around 50:1 depending on the engine. This gives the Cherokee roughly 2x the torque at idle at the wheels.(it's not more because the Sport's engine has more torque at idle)

You can always make it up an obstacle with speed if you don't have low range gearing but you risk a lot more damage that way. Low range isn't about making it up, it's about making it up slowly.

However, the vast majority of folks don't need this. A transfer case plus mechanical rear locker also adds like 400lbs to the Cherokee. I think they made the right call with the AWD system they used.

Last edited:

Tom House

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
I wouldn't say "absolutely not," whether it's locked (4WD/rear "diff") or not, in Subaru and Sport reviews I've seen the 4WD systems in the Sport -- Badlands -- seem to work better -- particularly without that Subaru CVT. Now about "4WD" --which is your requirement, locking 4WD, rear end, or both? Or is it low range? Or body-on-frame? All of the Sports can send 50% torque to the rear at any time, since they are all 4A all the time unless locked (Badlands/First Ed.). This incidentally is also a driving mode in the BRONCO.
The key term part is "what the driver is likely to use the vehicle for." I've had my Outback in places guys with 4Runners have stressed out over. My point is if you don't already know why you'd need a more capable 4WD over a Subaru, you don't need one. I've no doubt the BS is technically better than a Subaru in most off-road situations.

Tom House

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Six years back my wife bought a brand new Outback. Offroad capabilities aside, neither one of us could get used to the CVT transmission. Liked so much about that car but the CVT just never felt right and took some fun out of driving. We traded the car in after 3 years. Do others feel the same way or are my wife and myself a weird anomoly? Do others prefer the CVT?
I wouldn't say I prefer a CVT, though it's my understanding the CVT is largely responsible for the decent mpgs these otherwise large AWD wagons get. But I've never, ever minded the CVT in the Subaru. I never think about it, in fact.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
I wouldn't say I prefer a CVT, though it's my understanding the CVT is largely responsible for the decent mpgs these otherwise large AWD wagons get. But I've never, ever minded the CVT in the Subaru. I never think about it, in fact.
Had a boring Mercury Montego 3.0L AWD for 5 repair free years and didn't hate the CVT. It was rated 20 city and 27 highway. On a 7 day trip/ vacation to Atlanta from north central Ohio it got 31mpg for the entire trip. One day down, around town 5 days attending 3 Nascar races and one day back. Actual miles vs gallons. So I tend to agree with you.

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
Ok, I took my Badlands off road today. I thought I’d share my impressions so far. Firstly, the video below is unfortunately not of me or my Bronco, however, it is of the exact same hill I had just gone down, across the stream both ways, and back up. Next time I’ll see if I can get some video of me doing it, but this at least gives some context of what it’s capable of. I put it in rock crawl mode and it was a breeze. Even coming up the steep wet rocks was no problem. The short overhangs were a lifesaver getting out of the creek. I’ve also included a couple photos from the other side of the creek where I played around a bit. It was basically a giant lumpy rock slab. There were of a hundred other vehicles there and mine was the only one I saw that was not lifted or a sxs or atv. Maybe one or two of the wranglers was stock. I got some funny looks and thumbs up from people.
Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Off-Roading Capabilities 0A565729-A8D2-496A-81E6-09E1BA7FDAFD

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Off-Roading Capabilities B4FFA4EA-8FFD-4BAB-92DF-C66C65854BD7

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Off-Roading Capabilities A327CE7E-7246-470E-8186-4F604294E1FD

Snake Doctor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands (Iconic Silver)
Just picked up the Badlands last week and took it for some light off-roading over the weekend. My previous minimal off-roading experience was in my 2004 Discovery II (before it inevitably died), so I wasn't sure what to expect. Needless to say, baby Bronco was a dream. I'll work on getting some exterior footage going for anyone who's curious. The video has no sound because all you can hear is my dog panting behind me...

hwildey

Big Bend
First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

Here is a video or two for those of you looking at what the Big Bend can do. I had a hard time finding anything on the Big Bend before I purchased (all the videos and reviews were on the Badlands) so I just thought I would share for those of you that found your way here and haven't purchased yet. For me, it has been exactly what I wanted. Serves as a daily driver that doesn't break the bank and is comfortable, looks so much cooler than a CR-V or a Forester, gives me a lot of confidence to handle most of what I would do off pavement. I think this person gives a pretty honest assessment.

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
With all of the info I have been learning here is my take away. The Bronco Sport is great for the desert west. I am not sure it would do well in the east. I see a lot of water crossings and mud holes that would be an issue. One of the Channels I watch is Ozark Overlanding. It is wet. Mud holes and water crossings make me think the BS would not make it through. This concerns me because that's where I want to go when mine comes in. Did I make the wrong decision for where I want to go? People please chime in and tell me I am wrong, or concerned about nothing.

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS Badlands, 2019 VW GTI Rabbit ed. 03 JCW MCS
With all of the info I have been learning here is my take away. The Bronco Sport is great for the desert west. I am not sure it would do well in the east. I see a lot of water crossings and mud holes that would be an issue. One of the Channels I watch is Ozark Overlanding. It is wet. Mud holes and water crossings make me think the BS would not make it through. This concerns me because that's where I want to go when mine comes in. Did I make the wrong decision for where I want to go? People please chime in and tell me I am wrong, or concerned about nothing.
I go off road about once a month, mostly in Virginia and I’m very pleased with my Badlands capability. In oem trim it has 23.6” of water fording capability but I’ve only done about 14”, in a slow flowing river and maybe a few 10 - 12” mud holes, so far. If you’re concerned about mud, get tires that are better in mud, like my Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T’s or a Mud Terrain tire but for me MT’s are to heavy and Noisy. With the bronco sports advanced four-wheel-drive system most good AT tires, will be fine for 95% of people.

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
One of the Channels I watch is Ozark Overlanding. It is wet. Mud holes and water crossings make me think the BS would not make it through.
To be fair, not many production vehicles in stock form would make it through the stuff those guys go through on the regular. It's really for specialty vehicles.

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
I go off road about once a month, mostly in Virginia and I’m very pleased with my Badlands capability. In oem trim it has 23.6” of water fording capability but I’ve only done about 14”, in a slow flowing river and maybe a few 10 - 12” mud holes, so far. If you’re concerned about mud, get tires that are better in mud, like my Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T’s or a Mud Terrain tire but for me MT’s are to heavy and Noisy. With the bronco sports advanced four-wheel-drive system most good AT tires, will be fine for 95% of people.
I figured most of the knarly mud holes have a bypass. But the streams and rivers usually you can't just turn around and I don't want to have to. I want to enjoy the trek. My order is coming with the 235/65 Falkens, those should be a good starter set For the beginning of this endeavor. Thanks for giving me a little more confidence in my order.
Sponsored