biglarrr

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I purchased a new 2021 Bronco Sport, and I have less than 14K miles on it. Ford recently installed a new engine in it, the old one had coolant leaking into the head gasket. Anyway, the best gas mileage I have ever had is 24.4 miles per gallon. I see other with over 30 MPG. No one has posted as low as mine. What's the deal?
First of all OMG - a new engine already ! ! ! ! I swear when I get that injector recall done and show no current recalls, I'm going to try to unload it before the next one, or before it burns my house downn.
Now - as to MPG. I'm that crazy person that keeps the MPG gauge displayed all the time. I once averaged 32.4mpg for about half tank by babying/feathering the accelerator pedal and coasting iritatingly to those behind me, to every stop sign.
I have tried driving with the display not showing trying to drive like a normal person before they started putting mpg graphs on dashboards. I got 24.7mpg for that tankful.
Driving semi-conservatively I get 26 - 28mpg. That's mostly city/country road driving.
Here's a few other numbers I've checked with my BSOB.
31 mpg on expressway at 65mph.
29 mpg on expressway over 70mph
29 mpg on expressway at 80 mph.
Never driven it long enough over 80 to give an accurate number, but it definitely drops noticeably.
Oh - and I just read someone elses comment, I "always" drive in Economy mode. I tried the other modes, just to see if there was any reason for me to use them, and I only use Eco mode.
Sponsored

Robins21

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport, 05 F150, 99 Explorer, 69 Stang
My wife's 2021 BB gets 29.9 MPG with mostly 50-55MPH driving.

PaulJennGarneau

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks
I purchased a new 2021 Bronco Sport, and I have less than 14K miles on it. Ford recently installed a new engine in it, the old one had coolant leaking into the head gasket. Anyway, the best gas mileage I have ever had is 24.4 miles per gallon. I see other with over 30 MPG. No one has posted as low as mine. What's the deal?
There is definitely a sweet spot for the 1.5. It’s somewhere between 40-60mph. Interstate speeds drop it a bit, as does true city. ECO mode improves it. Just don’t try to pass anyone. Current displayed average is at 27.9mpg after 15k miles.

petegee77

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
When I took delivery in January I had 40 psi in the tires from the factory/dealer. I lowered it to the listed amount of 33 psi. I am debating going up to 36 or 38 psi. Driving barely 3 miles one way does not help fuel economy.
I ALWAYS have mine a few PSI (35-36) over their listed 33 PSI. especially in the cold winter months where it's going to lose pressure overnite.

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 OBX, '20 Ecosport, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i
I have a '23 OBX (1.5). I started my 2000-mile trip to Atlanta with 1081 miles on the odometer. I kept the normal GOAT mode the whole trip. I ran 35psi in the tires, have a K & N air filter, and run full synthetic Mobil 1. I also run 89 Octane gas. Mostly highway driving with 70 mph maximum. I filled up 4 times and averaged between 30 and 34 mpg. Before the trip I was getting 25-6 mpg around town. This may increase as the vehicle gets older, but I'm very happy with it now, especially the adaptive cruise control.

Last edited:

Jbrad88

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang Mach1, 2021 Mach1, 2022 Bronco Sport
1.5 and only @ 2k on the vehicle so far. I’ve seen upper 20’s regularly. Only a tank or so below 20. That included a lot of short hops and some idling. Pleased with it so far

Badtothebone2

Big Bend
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I have a 22 Big Bend. I average 31-34mpg daily but my drive is mostly highway. I just did a trip from Maryland to S. Carolina and averaged 37mpg. I was on I-81 so lots of hills/mtns.
I always use premium gas so that may be making a difference.

CableXJ

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Approximately 27 mpg combined hwy and city (75% hwy/25% city). With a good tail wind, the 1.5 can 43 mpg.
Sponsored