Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
While we’re talking spares, my Badlands was being combed over looking for the gas funnel (eventually found it under the owner’s manual in the glove box) and I noticed the spare has the steelies rim. Is it truly the same rim? I really wanted them but had to settle for dealer-ordered standard rims, at least for now
No, the spare is an actual steelie, not the same as the optional wheels from the factory. Also, if you get the Falken 235 option, like me, your "full size" spare is a 225/65 like the standard Badlands tire.

You might be happy to know, there is a specially crafted storage spot in the foam around the spare for that funnel, so you can take it out of the glove compartment.

Regarding TPMS sensors. They are between $50 and $100 when they need replacement. Costco has little for tire selection, but only charges $3 for the "service kit" when you get tires. Be sure to ask and negotiate for what you think is fair. The worst result is the car throwing a TPMS warning at you with no additional issues, unless you actually get a flat of course.

To clarify' Costco doesn't make money on the TPMS service. That's about what the cost is. So a shop charging $60 is just making another $50 on the back end. Look at the total cost when you buy tires, and a lot of shops (but not all) will install tires you order from online or someplace else.
Sponsored

Buster

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Big Bend; 2021 Kia Telluride SX
While we’re talking spares, my Badlands was being combed over looking for the gas funnel (eventually found it under the owner’s manual in the glove box) and I noticed the spare has the steelies rim. Is it truly the same rim? I really wanted them but had to settle for dealer-ordered standard rims, at least for now
Not the same rim, unfortunately.

Monkey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, F-350, a Tesla, and more...
Also, if you get the Falken 235 option, like me, your "full size" spare is a 225/65 like the standard Badlands tire.
I’ve pointed this out in the thread here about complaints and such…. It’s really irksome that they give you a mismatched style and size spare when it’s supposed to have a full-size spare. I know there’s not much difference, but it’s still 13mm or 1/2 inch difference in diameter and would be nice to have an AT tire as the spare instead of some slippy gentile tread thing.

YukiSport

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I’ve pointed this out in the thread here about complaints and such…. It’s really irksome that they give you a mismatched style and size spare when it’s supposed to have a full-size spare. I know there’s not much difference, but it’s still 13mm or 1/2 inch difference in diameter and would be nice to have an AT tire as the spare instead of some slippy gentile tread thing.
Yeah.
And the other thing to consider is the revs per mile difference when installing a different-size spare. This will cause the differential to act like you're cornering all the time, which can lead to diff failure.

I haven't read this part of the BS owner's manual yet, but previous Ford vehicles I've owned (one was a 2004 Ranger 4x4) were built with, not only a different size spare, but from a different tire manufacturer. The owner's manual spoke loud and clear to not drive more than 50 miles with the spare on the ground. The spare tire also had an ugly yellow sticker that warned of the same thing.

For those of you with the Falken tires and the 225/65 spare, does the spare have a warning label about limited miles when installed?

Thanks. As always, lots of great info on this forum.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
For those of you with the Falken tires and the 225/65 spare, does the spare have a warning label about limited miles when installed?

Thanks. As always, lots of great info on this forum.
Nothing of the sort. If you believe the owner guide, the 4WD turns itself off when a spare is installed just so it doesn't overheat. (Pg 296) It does mention that some vehicles might have the label you described (Pg 314).

But I am strongly considering taking it out and putting it aside. That's more cargo weight I can add and the car has roadside anyhow. I'll call a flatbed. Yeah, I know that leaves me waiting on a truck. But the way people drive here, there'd be 0% chance I'd get out on the side of the road and change a tire. Some numbnut ran into a cop car, lights and all a few years back.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I don't think the spare has a TPM or else the dash display would show five pressures instead of just four. With the spare on the ground, the TPM receiver at that location doesn't get a signal so it turns on the alarm. I don't believe that high pressure will excite the alarm.

The dirty little secret about the TPMs is that the battery in them is designed to last around 10 years. As each individual battery dies, the dash alarm sounds after 20 minutes without a TPM signal. Replacing them can cost upwards of $100 per wheel: $70-ish for the sensor, plus labor to dismount, re-mount and balance the tire. Yikes! Can be quite a surprise if you're not expecting it.
Another reason I trade up in the sixth or seventh year of ownership. Always have, always will.
Besides, getting a new vehicle is a ton of fun :,P

Bobaloo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford
Last night, after putting out my garbage carts, was walking up my driveway and saw a big gray spot on the rear passenger tire of my Bronco Sport. As I got closer, saw that a bolt head was firmly against the back of the tire. I have the factory Continentals on my Big Bend. The bolt was in so tight, no air was leaking out. I didn't try to pull the bolt, did that once a few years ago and regretted big time. And being an older guy, didn't want to change the tire myself (didn't think it was a good idea to drive on it either). Pulled out my user manual and other doc's, and found the Ford Roadside Assitance. Called the number, a recording walked me through, basically everything was done via text messages. Did have to wait a little bit, since I was home was not a big deal. However, a two hour wait when you were on the road probably would not be pleasant.

Anyway, good news is the Bronco Sport has a full size spare, in case you have not noticed. Guy showed up, took off the damaged tire, and mounted the spare, no charge. As I was out driving this morning, the inflation warning went off. I have a tire inflation gauge, so I pulled over to check. The three original tires were at 34, which was good. The spare was at 40, that is probably what set off the alarm. I owned Toyota's and Honda's for the 20 years prior to the Bronco sport, the inflation warnings were going off all the time for no good reason. The spare won't be on for long, so I am not too worried about it.
I think the regular full size spare will only come with the BS if the vehicle has the tow package (you get the hitch along with a full size spare instead of a temporary tire)

CDN Jen

Badlands
First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, 2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
The same day you posted this (and I read it) a screw punctured my new Mustang's tire in my driveway and it went completely flat. I've never had a puncture flat before. I blame you!

The Mustang GT with the performance package doesn't come with a spare (I just ordered one from an aftermarket supplier) and I didn't have a puncture repair kit (I just ordered one of those too). I opted not to call Ford roadside, as I didn't want it towed if I could help it.

So I fired up my little handled compressor pump someone on here recommended getting for road trips and safety, I filled the tire, listened for the hiss, and watched the pressure slowly go down on the digital gauge. I concluded I had enough time to drive it to a tire shop to get it replaced before it went flat again.

All turned out well.

But I still blame you!! ?

Last edited:

RLader

Outer Banks
First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I don't think the spare has a TPM or else the dash display would show five pressures instead of just four. With the spare on the ground, the TPM receiver at that location doesn't get a signal so it turns on the alarm. I don't believe that high pressure will excite the alarm.

The dirty little secret about the TPMs is that the battery in them is designed to last around 10 years. As each individual battery dies, the dash alarm sounds after 20 minutes without a TPM signal. Replacing them can cost upwards of $100 per wheel: $70-ish for the sensor, plus labor to dismount, re-mount and balance the tire. Yikes! Can be quite a surprise if you're not expecting it.
If you are driving on ten year old tires you have a bigger problem than tire pressure monitors. Your tires are probably dry rotted. Tires are not meant to last that long. They date them so you don't get old tires put on your vehicle.

GT1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw x1, 1965 mustang GT convert
I think the regular full size spare will only come with the BS if the vehicle has the tow package (you get the hitch along with a full size spare instead of a temporary tire)
I have Badlands without tow or badlands option and it has full size spare.

YukiSport

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
If you are driving on ten year old tires you have a bigger problem than tire pressure monitors. Your tires are probably dry rotted. Tires are not meant to last that long. They date them so you don't get old tires put on your vehicle.
Very True!

However, the TPM doesn't care about the age of the tire. At 10 years of age, a vehicle could be on it's second, third or even fourth set of tires with the original TPM. It's best to change out the TPMs at 5 to 7 years during a regular tire change, and only pay once for mounting and balancing.

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Toyota Prius AWDe
I am getting a steelie and the same Falken A/T tyre before we go on vacation next year. A flat means a messed up holiday, so having matched tyres matters. The mini-spare won’t cut it when we are heading to where the roads run out in northern Ontario.