realworld51

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I’m guessing most everyone has seen the illustration of the cargo area bike rack that Ford is selling. The one with 2 bikes upright. I’ve concluded that those are either kid’s bikes, or mtb with dropper seat posts completely retracted. ?‍♂ Don’t even think about trying with a large road bike. For context, my bike is a ‘small’ frame size (I’m 5’7”) and it does fit.
Ford Bronco Sport Bikes In the Cargo Area 4B039B52-152E-402F-8647-C18BCD3E8E4F

FYI, the passenger side rear seat back compresses a bit more than the driver side when folded down.
Sponsored

Geelloo90042

Badlands
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport-Badlands
Thanks for the info...in your opinion..will it for 2, 27.5 tire size mountain bikes? My GF has a small size frame and my other is L size

Y2Dre

Badlands
First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Wow...I was planning on ordering the cargo area bike rack for me and my daughter's bikes. I guess I need to figure out if I need to switch to the carrier that attaches to the tow hitch.

OP
OP
realworld51

realworld51

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Thanks for the info...in your opinion..will it for 2, 27.5 tire size mountain bikes? My GF has a small size frame and my other is L size
For certain your 27.5 wheels are a bit smaller than my 700c (29.5 equivalent). 2 caveats: my OB has full-size spare tire and that raises the cargo floor, reducing available height, and I’m using my trusty Bike Tight rack, a bit taller itself than what Ford is selling.

Ford’s illustrations show their rack on vehicles with mini-spare so lower cargo floor, more cargo area height.

OP
OP
realworld51

realworld51

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Wow...I was planning on ordering the cargo area bike rack for me and my daughter's bikes. I guess I need to figure out if I need to switch to the carrier that attaches to the tow hitch.
If you have a full-size spare tire, that reduces cargo area height enough to possibly make a difference.

BagOJuice

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Interesting.... here’s to hoping my 27.5 Ghost Kato fits... was really looking forward to being able to fit her inside the BS. I guess a small consolation if it doesn’t would be less mud in the cargo area! I’m pretty confident I’ll be able to fit mine with the dropper post down all the way though.

Econoline

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL Carbonized Gray, steelies+tow+360
The Ford fork mount appears to allow the fork to swivel, which could be helpful in fitting the bikes.

OP
OP
realworld51

realworld51

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Looks like you have a Mini spare tire? That would give you some extra vertical space. My 2nd row seatbacks don’t flatten nearly that much! Watch your elbows... ?

Econoline

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL Carbonized Gray, steelies+tow+360
That's a Ford pic from another thread, not my car. Seat back angle shouldn't be affected by spare tire, but that seat back is the most level I've seen, hard to explain.

jamesreilly

Big Bend
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Does anyone know how to remove the rear beach seat cushoin (non-split type) so that the seat backs will actually fold flat? Right now, there's no way I can stand up a large size MTB, even with the front wheel off and the seat-post collapsed all the way down. Thanks! (James, w/Big Bend model)

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
This picture is tilted to the front, making it look like the seatbacks fold flat when they don't, not even close. This does also look like the lower load floor with the mini spare. Yes, I'd fully expect to lower or remove the bike seat and post anyway to fit -- that isn't a big deal is it? But my hybrid bike is a large 21" or 22" frame so I don't know...maybe just the 1 (mine) in there somehow. I have a Thule rack for the 2" receiver anyway.

jamesreilly

Big Bend
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I’m guessing most everyone has seen the illustration of the cargo area bike rack that Ford is selling. The one with 2 bikes upright. I’ve concluded that those are either kid’s bikes, or mtb with dropper seat posts completely retracted. ?‍♂ Don’t even think about trying with a large road bike. For context, my bike is a ‘small’ frame size (I’m 5’7”) and it does fit.
Ford Bronco Sport Bikes In the Cargo Area 4B039B52-152E-402F-8647-C18BCD3E8E4F

FYI, the passenger side rear seat back compresses a bit more than the driver side when folded down.
Take a look at the pictures in my post. With the bench seat cushion removed and seat backs folded down, you can stand up a full suspension 29er (large frame) MTB with the seat post down and the front wheel off. And I’ve used my fork mount (with 100/110 Boost) through axle adapter) bolted to a board for the last ten years in four different SUVs. Works like a charm!

Ford Bronco Sport Bikes In the Cargo Area 1DF21AEF-C652-423B-803F-571B185C2289

Ford Bronco Sport Bikes In the Cargo Area 06C5B947-6FD8-40BC-B607-8F7E1C8501C8

Ford Bronco Sport Bikes In the Cargo Area 0F145A5E-3397-4824-B99C-4A0DF4FE3893

Last edited:

BayBrownBronco

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Take a look at the pictures in my post. With the bench seat cushion removed and seat backs folded down, you can stand up a full suspension 29er (large frame) MTB with the seat post down and the front wheel off. And I’ve used my fork mount (with 100/110 Boost) through axle adapter) bolted to a board for the last ten years in four different SUVs. Works like a charm!

Ford Bronco Sport Bikes In the Cargo Area 1DF21AEF-C652-423B-803F-571B185C2289

Ford Bronco Sport Bikes In the Cargo Area 06C5B947-6FD8-40BC-B607-8F7E1C8501C8

Ford Bronco Sport Bikes In the Cargo Area 0F145A5E-3397-4824-B99C-4A0DF4FE3893
That's a cool method, maybe I will try that. In the meantime, I've just been 'tossing' my bikes into the back, usually on their side with the chain up. I also tried standing up my 26" wheel-mtn bike, it can be done - with the spare tire and bike seat removed. Most of the time I'm carrying one bike, and just lay on its side. I believe I could lay another road bike on its side too in there, if I was careful about not bending the rear shifter cage. I'd separate them with towels or blankets if so.

Last week I even had a new microwave oven, in its humongous box, in there with my road bike. I had to move the front passenger seat all the way forward on its track and tilt it forward too... then put the microwave partly on the top of each passenger side seat. Too bad I didn't photo that too. This car's unusually large inside, considering its outside dimensions. I guess it's the height.

Ford Bronco Sport Bikes In the Cargo Area thumbnail_IMG_2743
Ford Bronco Sport Bikes In the Cargo Area thumbnail_IMG_2745
Ford Bronco Sport Bikes In the Cargo Area thumbnail_IMG_2749
Sponsored