Bill S.

Heritage
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Heritage
Yeah, struggling for a clever thread title.

Anyone put their BS on an articulation ramp? I’m curious about chassis flex/rigidity. I watched a YouTube vid recently from an Aussie channel doing off-road reviews. They took all the current small crossovers on their test course. One of the tests was when the vehicle was to open the drivers door when in full articulation with one wheel off the ground. Some of the crossovers had enough flex to impede door opening or closing. Has anyone done or seen something similar in the BS ecosystem?

The vid included the Ford Escape.
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
There's a caution in there for 1.5L-equipped Bronco Sports that use an air-cooled power transfer unit. If you put a lot of stress on its clutches in challenging conditions it will overheat quite readily. These cars aren't really meant for difficult off-road conditions. They're great for snow, and will get you through a small mud patch or occasional difficult obstacle, but I wouldn't plan on long off-road drives with multiple obstacles.

OP
OP
Bill S.

Bill S.

Heritage
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's a caution in there for 1.5L-equipped Bronco Sports that use an air-cooled power transfer unit. If you put a lot of stress on its clutches in challenging conditions it will overheat quite readily. These cars aren't really meant for difficult off-road conditions. They're great for snow, and will get you through a small mud patch or occasional difficult obstacle, but I wouldn't plan on long off-road drives with multiple obstacles.
That’s fine, but I’m asking about unibody flex. I’m not taking it to Moab. Just curious about the unibody engineering.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
That’s fine, but I’m asking about unibody flex. I’m not taking it to Moab. Just curious about the unibody engineering.
I haven't read anything about frame rigidity specific to the Bronco Sport. Given that the Bronco Sport and Escape share the same C2 chassis platform, I think it's safe to assume the Bronco Sport will perform as well as the Escape did in this video.

OP
OP
Bill S.

Bill S.

Heritage
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I put the BS on opposing ramps to see how it flexed.

There was no noticeable impingement of the doors, no visible body twist when looking at the pin stripes (coincidentally convenient level gauge).

Pic 1 - flat on the ground, 2 - on ramps, pax side, 3 - on ramps, 4 - on ramps, note rear wheel is 4 inches or so in the air.
Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend’s little bends? IMG_0411
Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend’s little bends? IMG_0409
Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend’s little bends? IMG_0410
Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend’s little bends? IMG_0408

Alfa 2407

Big Bend
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Yeah, struggling for a clever thread title.

Anyone put their BS on an articulation ramp? I’m curious about chassis flex/rigidity. I watched a YouTube vid recently from an Aussie channel doing off-road reviews. They took all the current small crossovers on their test course. One of the tests was when the vehicle was to open the drivers door when in full articulation with one wheel off the ground. Some of the crossovers had enough flex to impede door opening or closing. Has anyone done or seen something similar in the BS ecosystem?

The vid included the Ford Escape.
I have a 22 big bend, I hit the trails on one occasion I opened and closed the tailgate and the door open alarm remained on saying the tailgate was open, had to get on level ground and open and reclose it to get it to turn off, so as of right now I can tell you for absolute certainty, the 2022 big bend has this problem with its tailgate, though I have not encountered any issues with the other doors, this may not be the same with the optional sunroof, be aware at the time of this happening my rear left wheel was completely off the ground

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bill S.

Bill S.

Heritage
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't think to try the tailgate! Fail! Thanks for the update. Not terribly surprising the rear liftgate would have more flex than the doors when you consider the geometry.

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands
I put the BS on opposing ramps to see how it flexed.

There was no noticeable impingement of the doors, no visible body twist when looking at the pin stripes (coincidentally convenient level gauge).

Pic 1 - flat on the ground, 2 - on ramps, pax side, 3 - on ramps, 4 - on ramps, note rear wheel is 4 inches or so in the air.
Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend’s little bends? IMG_0411
Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend’s little bends? IMG_0409
Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend’s little bends? IMG_0410
Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend’s little bends? IMG_0408
Source for your dual stripes? TIA