DCBadlands

Badlands
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands 2022
Being stationed in a wet area of Africa next month, and need a dedicated set of tires for their rainy season.

Running stock Scorpions now and they’ve been great for commuting in DC and basic weekend off-road adventures, but a colleague there strongly advised a second set of serious off-road tires to handle the bad roads and muddy conditions there.

Will be driving on road mostly of course, but mostly locally and fewer long commutes.

Looking at:

BFG 245/70 R17 KO2
BFG Mud-Terrain T/A KM3 245/70 R17
Nitto Ridge Grappler 245/65R17 111T XL

Appreciate any suggestions or first-hand experience with any of these tires. Have a 22 Badlands and looking forward to the clearance boost of a bigger tire as well.

Thank you!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I'd go with BFG. Either one, but have reservations about 70's. My 245/65/17 KO2s barely clear the rear fender liner which is felt. I'm not sure the 70's will clear and if they do- barely. Mud buildup could rip the fender liners. Sounds like an adventure. Enjoy.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Appreciate any suggestions or first-hand experience with any of these tires. Have a 22 Badlands and looking forward to the clearance boost of a bigger tire as well.

Thank you!
Tirerack.com offers a comprehensive tire rating system, offering both expert and user ratings on a range of performance categories, including wet and slippery conditions.

OP
OP

DCBadlands

Badlands
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tirerack.com offers a comprehensive tire rating system, offering both expert and user ratings on a range of performance categories, including wet and slippery conditions.
I get tire selector tools, just curious to hear from real people about the best tires for daily use on the Bronco Sport, , with mud being a primary concern.

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
My friend had BFG Mud Terrains on his truck and loved them off road. Noisy on road, and didn't last as long as the All Terrain KO2's. But, in real mud, it is what you need. I can't speak for the other brands.

I believe 245/65 R17 is as large as you can go. It is important to have some room for mud build up between tire and wheel well. I drove an Audi off road once in mud and the cinders and mud built up on the wheel well enough that when I hit a bump it felt like I slammed on the brake. Around Flagstaff they put crushed volcanic cinders on the road to help with the clay. It was muddy enough I was sinking through the cinders.

Alfa 2407

Big Bend
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
My friend had BFG Mud Terrains on his truck and loved them off road. Noisy on road, and didn't last as long as the All Terrain KO2's. But, in real mud, it is what you need. I can't speak for the other brands.

I believe 245/65 R17 is as large as you can go. It is important to have some room for mud build up between tire and wheel well. I drove an Audi off road once in mud and the cinders and mud built up on the wheel well enough that when I hit a bump it felt like I slammed on the brake. Around Flagstaff they put crushed volcanic cinders on the road to help with the clay. It was muddy enough I was sinking through the cinders.
I'm curious to know, do you believe that a 255 65r17 would also have issues?

The YETI

Base
First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 SCREW/2021 Mustang Shelby GT 500
Toyo Open Country AT III in 245 65 17 XL have been fantastic in dirt, mud, sand, snow and on wet roads. BTW, they look great and are quite smooth and quiet on paved roads.

OP
OP

DCBadlands

Badlands
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Went with the K02s in 245/65/17. They look great, and no issues at all on a 22 Badlands in full lock turns. Thanks much to forum for info and advice.

Raised about an inch over stock 225 Pirellis. Makes drive a little more stiff and truck-like, but not in a bad way. Accel feels a step slower and braking a step better. Noise is barely noticeable. Mileage only slightly less. Haven’t taken off road much yet, but clearly more grippy. Wife noticed no differences whatsoever, so maybe I just want those things to be true.

Shout out to Discount Tires in Fredericksburg for quick and excellent service!

Ford Bronco Sport Best tires for wet conditions and mud? 349CC4CA-8BD6-453F-AAF9-BDF935670E7A

Ford Bronco Sport Best tires for wet conditions and mud? 04F6CD9E-9AE4-4C16-A595-DF2B028AE102