hwildey

Big Bend
First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Possibly true. I have Scorpions on there now and they are good in the water during the rain, drive comfortably and brake well. That’s all I can say, otherwise I don’t like them. They get holes in them a don’t hood up. Lots of the testing is subjective. In the rain I turn on “slippery” so that helps keeping a positive road traction. You don’t know what these average reviewers were driving, where they were driving and their skill level. Too many variables. They are like yelp reviews, can’t trust them.
All true, this specific review did not factor in wear and durability. I agree with you for the most part, it is just one measure, doesn't mean everything. That being said it tracks with other reviews by tire rack.
Sponsored

Desert Bronco.

Badlands
First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Schwinn Beach Cruiser,
All true, this specific review did not factor in wear and durability. I agree with you for the most part, it is just one measure, doesn't mean everything. That being said it tracks with other reviews by tire rack.
Ford Bronco Sport Best Tire Options for 1.5L Larger Than Stock Sizes 4C20A2C8-3611-4320-92E0-3F1BBEC74EE3
Tire
Ford Bronco Sport Best Tire Options for 1.5L Larger Than Stock Sizes 821EEE09-550F-4F8D-AC15-99BD9904E34D
Rack also eliminated the BFG trail terrain from the review where they rated about a dozen tires. The review doesn’t take into account as you said longevity, location, type vehicle, AWD vs FWD and stupidly of the driver. Also it gave a hit for not stopping as fast from 50-0mph on dry pavement. Dry pavement I’d pretty predictable so the speed xtra do many feet more might not m as me a difference. Dry pavement is predictable - stupid drivers less predictable. Lots of variables including the 108T tire might be slightly stiffer and drive better then a 103H tire.

hwildey

Big Bend
First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Ford Bronco Sport Best Tire Options for 1.5L Larger Than Stock Sizes 4C20A2C8-3611-4320-92E0-3F1BBEC74EE3
Tire
Ford Bronco Sport Best Tire Options for 1.5L Larger Than Stock Sizes 821EEE09-550F-4F8D-AC15-99BD9904E34D
Rack also eliminated the BFG trail terrain from the review where they rated about a dozen tires. The review doesn’t take into account as you said longevity, location, type vehicle, AWD vs FWD and stupidly of the driver. Also it gave a hit for not stopping as fast from 50-0mph on dry pavement. Dry pavement I’d pretty predictable so the speed xtra do many feet more might not m as me a difference. Dry pavement is predictable - stupid drivers less predictable. Lots of variables including the 108T tire might be slightly stiffer and drive better then a 103H tire.
Yes, good points. it has been hard to find reviews on the BFG trail terrain.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Again, the mere fact the tire is larger is not the issue of what makes the engine work harder or engages the turbo more often. It is the added weight that is the issue. It is true that the larger the diameter of the tire is then typically the tire will weigh more, which is why your general premise is usually true. However, a KO2 in 225/65/17 weights 38.9 lbs. That is well over what a Toyo Open Country ATIII weighs at a 245/65/17 (33 lbs). The bigger Toyo will give you better fuel economy and provide less stress to the engine than the smaller KO2 because it weighs less. The fact that the KO2 is stock size is irrelevant.
Dismissing tire diameter as a source of engine load is putting on blinders. An increase in tire diameter means the engine is required to deliver more torque. This also applies to braking but that is a different conversation. There is a much larger variation in tire weight and I think it is good to be focused on that. Even if you could find the same weight of wheel/tire combination, which I think I did within a couple of pounds, the increase in diameter will change the torque required. That increase in torque required will mean the turbo is called upon earlier or more frequently.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Basically this post is looking for unobtanium.
Honestly, the best you can do is find a compromise that will work best for your needs and situation.
That compromise isn't the same answer for everyone as you can see from three pages of information.
Time to put on the big boy pants and stop the swirl.

OP
OP
wessermgm

wessermgm

Big Bend
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 SCrew; 2023 BS BB Silver
Basically this post is looking for unobtanium.
Honestly, the best you can do is find a compromise that will work best for your needs and situation.
That compromise isn't the same answer for everyone as you can see from three pages of information.
Time to put on the big boy pants and stop the swirl.
Man, this line about finding a compromise that will work best is what this whole thread is about. As I have said many times, there are trade offs to be made. I was seeking information from forum members who drive a 1.5L and have put upgraded tires on their vehicle which ones mitigated the negative effects while bringing some positive ones. Several people who drive 1.5Ls have come on and discussed this. I think it is odd that several who drive 2.0Ls have basically come on and told me to not bother, patted me on the head and told me I'm crazy, looking for "unobtainium" or the engine is anemic or whatever. Just sounds pretty condescending to me.

Allow me to clarify: I understand that fuel economy will go down with larger tires. I further understand that getting larger diameter increases resistance. I suggest that going from a 225/65 to a 235/65 is only 1/2" in diameter, which is negligible. Adding another 1/2" going to a 245/65, will be noticeable - but can be mitigated by selecting lighter wheels and picking tires that do not weigh so much. Really, the whole point of the thread was to mention that I think KO2s and Baja Bosses weigh too much, and what were owner experiences with larger tires that were in a certain weight class. I'm really not even arguing that there are tires that make no difference. I am trying to see what tires make the least difference - at least I was. Guess I need to put on the "big boy pants and stop the swirl" whatever that means.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Guess I need to put on the "big boy pants and stop the swirl" whatever that means.
You've made a few demonstrably false claims, so those who know better will naturally call you out on that. I get what you're trying to accomplish, but you are likely thinking about it way, way harder than you need to, which is what I believe Robert means by stop the swirl. You have pretty much all the info you need, and based on your posts you've pretty much made up your mind. Time to go buy some tires! And make sure to take some photos and post 'em up so we can see what they look like. :like:

Last edited:

Desert Bronco.

Badlands
First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I pretty much understand what the op was after so I’ll try to make this an engine, model agnostic opinion. Going with bigger tires will get less mileage, will give you better traction, and getting All Terrain tires will be stiffer and produce more road noise, less comfort and less gas mileage. the badlands has a 1” factory lift so if you were intending to install 245/65/17 on the OB or BB you might want to stick a lift on it? I don’t think going with 235 or 245 will hamper the motor since the engine produces 180hp and 190 feet of torque. It might be a little more taxing if you’re passing on a hill with your foot down or playing Ricky Racer off road on a desert ohv road 🌵. I rarely give the 2.0 full gas since it’s mostly city highly cruise control driving - senior citizen style. Also off road you’re not barreling down the freeway so then engine size is not an issue. I got the badlands for the extra tow capacity to tow an 14 foot enclosed motor cycle cargo trailer and the dual vector clutch. It was a hard decision looking back between the two. I could have gone either way. In the year of ownership and 24k miles I have only taken it off road for 3 minutes?

Mostly, my decision to upgrade the tires is that I ruined two of the tires completely and the third one was compromised. So then the question became do I go 225,235, 245.

both vehicles are pretty capable and neither are a full size Bronco, but sheep 🐑 in wolves clothes. The lower trim levels will get you stuck and into trouble and the badlands will do the same, just a little further down. Both vehicles are missing ground clearance and a low high setting. I wanted a daily driver, so the Bronco was financially not in reach. MSRP plus $25k when I got x plan pricing on my bronco sport. So I’m sure most of this is academic, you should be able to stick 245 tires on the vehicles. Both vehicles will suffer from a smidge lower mpg and might require a little more pedal. That’s what I noticed s far with the additional 10 pound of tire weight on the rear tires. I figured that the 235 was a good compromise between mpg, looks , performance and off road chops. Stay away from the KO2 because they are very heavy.

if your not sure then flip a coin or decide how much off roading your doing. If it’s just dirt roads and nothing more than that the 235 should be fine. I wanted to put the 245s on my badlands but didn’t want to pinch Peter to pay for Paul. It was worth the trade off for what I’m looking to do which is moderate off road and nothing more than normal what I can safely throw at the BS with my level of experience- beginner.

I installed two BFG Trail Terrains on the rear of the badlands and my mileage dropped some, from just the two tire in the rear. 1-2 mpgI think it was somewhat deceptive of Ford to put such light tires on the BS (no pun intended) to wring out the miles. I drive Uber with the Badlands and did about 140 miles in mix driving last night. Through Hollywood, WeHo and up to West Hills and the side streets of Santa Monica and Century City.

Here’s a few initial impressions in general. The stock OEM tires are soft, flexible and light, like bedroom moccasins. Whatever you purchase from a tire shop like Discount Tire, Costco, Tire Rack etc will be the real tires and weigh 30lbs plus, so a 5 pound difference for starters and some tire manufacturers like Michelin and BF Goodrich offer a 30-60 day satisfaction exchange policy with their brand offerings. Michelin- BF Goodrich- and ???

Ford Bronco Sport Best Tire Options for 1.5L Larger Than Stock Sizes 1FCFA373-27B1-4840-9080-6F934FB12655

Click this link to see the 245/65 on a Outer Bank 1.5 liter engine on a off coarse track by TFL

Last edited:

Desert Bronco.

Badlands
First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Part 2 for the OP. Since the question was between the two sizes and you like the bigger size you should put a 245/65/17 on the truck. Not sure if you need a lift, but I’m guessing would help? Rough Country makes a $500 lift and there is other brands.

I’m in California and gas ⛽ is $4.50 to $5 a gallon outside of warehouse club pricing. So sacrificing mpg hits me hard in the wallet 💳 if I were in a cheaper gas state I would have put on 245.
Another perspective is you ask me my opinion on two girls that want to go out on a date. One is a smart girl, who is getting her masters degrees and is flat chested. The other made it through high school and has a job. She works on the weekends as a Hooters waitress. So you ask my opinion? Go with the hooters waitress every time. 😆

once you get older than you’re more concerned if either will show up on the date and if the picture on Hinge or tinder wasn’t before the second child and 50pounds. 😝

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Optional tire sizes that will fit the BS won't make that much of a difference in MPG.
As most know, Ford offers an optional larger tire size from the factory for the Badlands and First Edition.
The things that do make a difference most people don't pay attention too.
Driving habits, tire air pressure, vehicle condition, road condition, driving conditions, vehicle load and fuel.
Tire air pressure is much easier to monitor than it used to be as most vehicles have TPMS these days, but then again, I've been in friends and co-workers vehicles and the TPMS light is on, so there's no guarantee's
Several people on the board that have installed larger tires on BS models with the 1.5 dragon engine, I have not read any complaints of significant MPG drop because of running larger tires.
Common sense and some mechanical aptitude will tell you yes, larger tire diameters and widths will effect the vehicles overall handling, acceleration, stopping power and fuel mileage.
The question being, are the tradeoffs worth it for subjectively better looks and better offroad performance.
That's something that only the owner can answer.

OP
OP
wessermgm

wessermgm

Big Bend
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 SCrew; 2023 BS BB Silver
I pretty much understand what the op was after so I’ll try to make this an engine, model agnostic opinion. Going with bigger tires will get less mileage, will give you better traction, and getting All Terrain tires will be stiffer and produce more road noise, less comfort and less gas mileage. the badlands has a 1” factory lift so if you were intending to install 245/65/17 on the OB or BB you might want to stick a lift on it? I don’t think going with 235 or 245 will hamper the motor since the engine produces 180hp and 190 feet of torque. It might be a little more taxing if you’re passing on a hill with your foot down or playing Ricky Racer off road on a desert ohv road 🌵. I rarely give the 2.0 full gas since it’s mostly city highly cruise control driving - senior citizen style. Also off road you’re not barreling down the freeway so then engine size is not an issue. I got the badlands for the extra tow capacity to tow an 14 foot enclosed motor cycle cargo trailer and the dual vector clutch. It was a hard decision looking back between the two. I could have gone either way. In the year of ownership and 24k miles I have only taken it off road for 3 minutes?

Mostly, my decision to upgrade the tires is that I ruined two of the tires completely and the third one was compromised. So then the question became do I go 225,235, 245.

both vehicles are pretty capable and neither are a full size Bronco, but sheep 🐑 in wolves clothes. The lower trim levels will get you stuck and into trouble and the badlands will do the same, just a little further down. Both vehicles are missing ground clearance and a low high setting. I wanted a daily driver, so the Bronco was financially not in reach. MSRP plus $25k when I got x plan pricing on my bronco sport. So I’m sure most of this is academic, you should be able to stick 245 tires on the vehicles. Both vehicles will suffer from a smidge lower mpg and might require a little more pedal. That’s what I noticed s far with the additional 10 pound of tire weight on the rear tires. I figured that the 235 was a good compromise between mpg, looks , performance and off road chops. Stay away from the KO2 because they are very heavy.

if your not sure then flip a coin or decide how much off roading your doing. If it’s just dirt roads and nothing more than that the 235 should be fine. I wanted to put the 245s on my badlands but didn’t want to pinch Peter to pay for Paul. It was worth the trade off for what I’m looking to do which is moderate off road and nothing more than normal what I can safely throw at the BS with my level of experience- beginner.

I installed two BFG Trail Terrains on the rear of the badlands and my mileage dropped some, from just the two tire in the rear. 1-2 mpgI think it was somewhat deceptive of Ford to put such light tires on the BS (no pun intended) to wring out the miles. I drive Uber with the Badlands and did about 140 miles in mix driving last night. Through Hollywood, WeHo and up to West Hills and the side streets of Santa Monica and Century City.

Here’s a few initial impressions in general. The stock OEM tires are soft, flexible and light, like bedroom moccasins. Whatever you purchase from a tire shop like Discount Tire, Costco, Tire Rack etc will be the real tires and weigh 30lbs plus, so a 5 pound difference for starters and some tire manufacturers like Michelin and BF Goodrich offer a 30-60 day satisfaction exchange policy with their brand offerings. Michelin- BF Goodrich- and ???

Click this link to see the 245/65 on a Outer Bank 1.5 liter engine on a off coarse track by TFL
I've been reading up on the BFG Trail Terrains, they seem very solid indeed. This review focuses on their winter ability, but they look awesome year round.

https://www.trailbuiltoffroad.com/blogs/1485/is-the-bfgoodrich-trail-terrain-the-best-winter-tire-for-suvs

I get the California fuel economy issues. I am from Texas and our gas is quite a bit less ($2.97 last fillup for me). I think that BFG, Nitto and Falken have all but created a new tire category for vehicles like the Sport. The BFG Trail Terrain, the Nitto Nomad Grappler and the Falken Wildpeak AT Trail all seem pretty similar and all good options for smaller SUV AT tires.

Desert Bronco.

Badlands
First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All those tires seem pretty similar. Some have less rolling resistance, better dry traction or better 3 peak snowflake ability. They are all designed for the CUV-SUV vehicles like Subaru crosstrek, forester and Bronco Sport. Vehicles that are unibody construction. What I have noticed thus far is that the 108T is a heavier tire at 35 lbs. (I’m going to weigh it today) and a 103V is about 30 lbs. that additional rotational weight makes a difference further out from the axis of rotation as the center mass spins. Also tread material, tread design all factor into the rolling resistance and lower mpg.

everything is a trade off when your dealing with mpg and cost. If you are in a cheap gas state then the cost of running heavy tires is a moot point. California is an expensive state to drive in. I got these heavy, more versatile and useful tires to drive away from and out of Southern California into varied weather conditions including off road trails.
The gorilla 🦍 in the room is speedsince the vehicle is boxy and not an aerodynamic low drag coefficient. I put the BS into cruise control and got around 32mpg at 45mph cruising down Thousand Oaks and Agoura Blvd. without stopping. I had to pay much closer attention to my driving style to maintain a decent mpg over the crappy light weight Pirelli Scorpion tires at freeway speeds on my 45 mph test with just the two rear BFG TTerrain. I drove around 160 miles yesterday in varied conditions - Uber.

JacobMclaren

Base
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base model
I’ve been running the Toyo open country AT III (245/65 17) for about 5 months now on my base model and I’m absolutely in love with them. I’ve had them in the snow (west coast snow) so a mix between powder and wet heavy stuff and it performs flawlessly. I’ve had it on some old logging road going through huge puddles and mud and it ate it up like it was nothing. Little bit louder on the highway, but C’est la vie. Only real “complaint” would be it does effect your gas mileage I get about 10-10.5L/100km (but I am a fairly aggressive driver).
imo if definitely recommend the AT III

RodNSA

Base
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Optional tire sizes that will fit the BS won't make that much of a difference in MPG.
As most know, Ford offers an optional larger tire size from the factory for the Badlands and First Edition.
The things that do make a difference most people don't pay attention too.
Driving habits, tire air pressure, vehicle condition, road condition, driving conditions, vehicle load and fuel.
Tire air pressure is much easier to monitor than it used to be as most vehicles have TPMS these days, but then again, I've been in friends and co-workers vehicles and the TPMS light is on, so there's no guarantee's
Several people on the board that have installed larger tires on BS models with the 1.5 dragon engine, I have not read any complaints of significant MPG drop because of running larger tires.
Common sense and some mechanical aptitude will tell you yes, larger tire diameters and widths will effect the vehicles overall handling, acceleration, stopping power and fuel mileage.
The question being, are the tradeoffs worth it for subjectively better looks and better offroad performance.
That's something that only the owner can answer.
Hmmm??? Interesting perspective on what you say that are the things that DO make a difference (and I agree with those things that you listed) but you seem to think that "MOST" people don't pay attention to them. I think those things are fairly commonly known to probably familiar to most drivers ... definately something that my was taught to me as a fairly young driver many
I’ve been running the Toyo open country AT III (245/65 17) for about 5 months now on my base model and I’m absolutely in love with them. I’ve had them in the snow (west coast snow) so a mix between powder and wet heavy stuff and it performs flawlessly. I’ve had it on some old logging road going through huge puddles and mud and it ate it up like it was nothing. Little bit louder on the highway, but C’est la vie. Only real “complaint” would be it does effect your gas mileage I get about 10-10.5L/100km (but I am a fairly aggressive driver).
imo if definitely recommend the AT III
I agree ... just put the exact same Toyo tires on my new 2022 base model that I got a couple of weeks ago. So far I LOVE these tires and just barely have a decrease in mpg. The handling is superb ... nice solid ride and smooth on the highway, too. I do notice a slight bit of additional road noise on paved rough county roads but no additional noise on the Interstate. So far ... an excellent purchase. My local Discount Tire had the Falken Wildpeak AT3 on sale but I would have had to wait a few more days ... so went with tge Toyo Open Country ATIII ... glad I did!
Sponsored