wessermgm

Big Bend
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 SCrew; 2023 BS BB Silver
I haven't seen a thread that specifically addresses the tire needs of the BS that are powered by the 1.5L Dragon. We all know that the practical sizes absent some lift and trimming the largest sizes are the 29.5" diameter tires (245/65/17; 245/60/18). Also, the 235mm widths are also an improvement over stock. Specifically, I am interested in AT style tires . As I will have 17" wheels, I am looking at the 235/65/17 or the 245/65/17 (but if you have 18", please discuss your situation).

I personally feel that the KO2s at 245/65/17 are too heavy for the 1.5L engine as they are 44 lbs a tire. Even If I dropped weight by switching to lighter wheels, I couldn't come close to offsetting the increased weight (stock Continentals are 26 lbs). I think that keeping the weight down is important. I love me some KO2 (rocking them on my 3.5L Ecoboost F150), but at 44 lbs that is a formula for sluggish performance. Same would rule out the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss at 245/65/17 (38 lbs); Nitto Ridge Grappler (37lbs); Falken Wildpeak AT3W at 245/65/17 (39 lbs).

Thus, if I want to stick at 245/65/17, here are the choices I was considering:

Nitto Nomad Grappler (34 lbs). Looks pretty killer and has the classic Nitto double sided sidewall so you can pick your pattern. It is 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake and the early reviews are very good. Cons: don't know anyone who has actually run these yet, they are a new product.

Toyo Open Country ATIII (34 lbs): True AT tire and excellent all around.

Mickey Thompson Baja Boss (38 lbs): Maybe the most aggressive looking of the bunch. They are floating pretty close to being too heavy.

Nitto Ridge Grappler (37 lbs): I was honestly shocked when I saw these weighed this much. That said, the RG is a classic truck tire and probably a bit much for the Sport.

Falken Wildpeak AT Trail (37 lbs): These are very highly rated and appear to be the direct competitor of the Nitto Nomad Grappler. More of a CUV tire (like the Nomad), so maybe not as aggressive as a "big" AT. I think the weight seems high compared to the Nomad.

I would not consider the Falken Wildpeak AT3W at 245/65/17 as it is about 40 lbs. I would consider the 235/65/17 OEM version for the 1.5L as it is only 32 lbs (but it lacks the size).

Thoughts? Alternatives?
Sponsored

SapphireCat

Big Bend
First Name
Catie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I've been also looking at tires, as I will probably need to replace the crappy Conti's in the spring (I've got 15k on them; they are fine in dry weather but absolute no-go in slick and snow, IMHO). I wanted something with a bit more traction but won't totally roast my highway gas mileage.

Top of my list right now are these:
WILDPEAK A/T TRAIL - SIZE: 245/65R17 @37lbs (these seem to be universally well reviewed)

However, I am mildly curious about these but haven't fully researched:
MILESTAR PATAGONIA H/T P 245 /65 R17 105T SL OWL (although I prefer blackwall) @ 34lbs (highway tire, but a little more off-roadish look)
vs.
MILESTAR PATAGONIA AT 245/65R17 @ 34.33lbs (there are some variants on this I need to look at closer, but definitely more off-road than the H/T)

I have friends who run Milestars on their Jeep or 4 Runner and like them. But I haven't seen anyone on here running them.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I've been also looking at tires, as I will probably need to replace the crappy Conti's in the spring (I've got 15k on them; they are fine in dry weather but absolute no-go in slick and snow, IMHO). I wanted something with a bit more traction but won't totally roast my highway gas mileage.
Vredestein Pinza A/T might be an option as well. According to tirerack.com they weigh 34 lbs each in 245/65R17, and come with a 70K miles warranty. Search around on YouTube and you'll find a lot of favorable reviews, although TireRack rated them behind a couple of competitors in a comparison review. To be fair, there was a significant price difference between the Pinza and the two others in the comparison.

Discount Tire

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Nitto Nomad Grappler would be my choice. Weight, looks and performance all in one package. 60K mileage promise and 3pms rated. The stats look great and stock is available.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
BFG K02 user here, 245/65/17 on base model.

love the tires, grippy even on sheer ice, look meaty, and fill up the wheelwell just right. No lift (have the HRG in a box in my basement).
No issues regarding being sluggish, mind you this is not a race car so speed is not a concern of mine. My main issue is the noise, they are a LOUD tire. But i just crank the radio up a lil bit more.

if i were to do it again, i'd prob go for the Toyo Open Country or the Falken Wildpeaks.

Also i suggest going straight to a 245 tire over a 235.

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Toyo Open Country ATIII 235/60/18 is what I did on my OBX and I loved them. They ate the snow and I think they looked great. But the 245 is doable and probably the better choice for looks.
Nitto Nomad Grappler would be my choice. Weight, looks and performance all in one package. 60K mileage promise and 3pms rated. The stats look great and stock is available.
I love Discount Tire and I got my tires from them but honestly, I disagree with these tires for a Sport. But, we are all different and can have different opinions!

Last edited:

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
235/70/17 has been done by a few forum members. I don't know what availability of that size is in terms of brands/models but it gets you the height of the 245/65/17 but will cut through snow better and be lighter (probably).

OP
OP
wessermgm

wessermgm

Big Bend
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DT has been my go to place for tires forever, so your opinion carries a lot of weight with me.

OP
OP
wessermgm

wessermgm

Big Bend
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyo Open Country ATIII 235/60/18 is what I did on my OBX and I loved them. They ate the snow and I think they looked great. But the 245 is doable and probably the better choice for looks.

I love Discount Tire and I got my tires from them but honestly, I disagree with these tires for a Sport. But, we are all different and can have different opinions!
I appreciate your response. The Toyos are definitely one of my top choices.

OP
OP
wessermgm

wessermgm

Big Bend
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

What are you running on your Heritage Limited? Sticking with stock or planning an upgrade?

Discount Tire

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
@Tigger,

Thanks for the shout out, we appreciate your support, and its O.K. to disagree.:like:

@wessermgm,

Opinions on the Nomad seem to be favorable. I realize its a new tire and there's not a lot of feedback yet. The Toyo has a proven track record and would also be a solid choice.

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
What are you running on your Heritage Limited? Sticking with stock or planning an upgrade?
For right now I am liking the 235/65/17 ATs that came with the Heritage Limited. I will not change until needed and I will most likely do 245 and I’ll probably get white lettering to match the white rims.

Its her Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Ford Escape and Mercury Mountaineer
What would be good a good choice to replace 18" 225/60R18 A/S Michelins on my wife's 2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks. Nothing that's going to give her road noise and this bronco sport will NEVER be off the road.
Also replacement tires for my 2021 Ford Escape with 225/55R19 all-season (A/S) BSW tires. I am not a fan of the Bridgestone tires it came with.

OP
OP
wessermgm

wessermgm

Big Bend
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For right now I am liking the 235/65/17 ATs that came with the Heritage Limited. I will not change until needed and I will most likely do 245 and I’ll probably get white lettering to match the white rims.
Think the white lettering would also look killer with the white rims and fit the retro theme.

Desert Bronco.

Badlands
First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Schwinn Beach Cruiser,
BFG K02 user here, 245/65/17 on base model.

love the tires, grippy even on sheer ice, look meaty, and fill up the wheelwell just right. No lift (have the HRG in a box in my basement).
No issues regarding being sluggish, mind you this is not a race car so speed is not a concern of mine. My main issue is the noise, they are a LOUD tire. But i just crank the radio up a lil bit more.

if i were to do it again, i'd prob go for the Toyo Open Country or the Falken Wildpeaks.

Also i suggest going straight to a 245 tire over a 235.
I’m going with the BF Goodrich Trail Terrain 235/65/r17 108T. It clicked off the boxes and I’m not using the vehicle other than light off road and as a daily driver. Low Noise and MPG plus good snow and rain traction. The 245s starts getting heavier and I wanted to maintain the gas mileage.
Sponsored