Outer Banks
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco sport
Hi All,

I noticed that my auto stop start was not working the other day. I know all the reason when it will not work and usually my biggest reason for me is making short runs. To have the system work I usually hook up my MotoMaster Eliminator Precision Series Smart Battery Charger/Maintainer that this bring up the level to 100%. Once full I can drive my short trips and the auto stop will work as per usual, until I run into tis issue again. Well I repeated the charging and noticed that the LED would only go up to the 50%, this is after 12 hours. Any ideas on why I can't charge to 100%.
I have had the battery replace last year with only 5000KM, now at 19000KM.
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Is the replacement battery sealed lead-acid (SLA) or absorbed glass mat (AGM)?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
This is more grist for the mill. It seems owners who've had their OEM batteries replaced with AGM-type batteries are good to go, while those getting SLA replacements see the same problems return down the road. I'm coming to the conclusion that the always-on systems on these newer cars require better battery technology.

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Are you attaching your charger directly to the battery post or to the charge monitor?

OP
OP
Leeford

Leeford

Outer Banks
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco sport
Are you attaching your charger directly to the battery post or to the charge monitor?
one to the live the other to the ground pin on the frame. What is confusing is that I've never had any issue "topping" up the charge. There is four bars on the charger, 25,50,75 and 100. Usually starts off at 50 and charges to 100. In my case it never got past a solid 50 with he occasional blink at 75. I just took the car out for a drive and after a short warming up the engine message, the auto stop start worked...go figure. My battery was at 12.26v and 15.01 running.

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
You might wand to check out this thread on charging and the Battery Monitor System. I'm wondering if you are cutting the monitor out of the charge path and somehow it is causing an issue with your charger. Not sure how that would happen, but it would be best to include the BMS in the charge path.

Sig Oris

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BSOB
You might wand to check out this thread on charging and the Battery Monitor System. I'm wondering if you are cutting the monitor out of the charge path and somehow it is causing an issue with your charger. Not sure how that would happen, but it would be best to include the BMS in the charge path.
sounds like he going POS to the BATT and the NEG to the chassis which according to CTEK is the proper way to connect with a BMS installed

davidb1841

Outer Banks
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250 Tremor; Bronco Sport Outer Banks
I think your battery is the problem.....exercise the warranty if there is any left on the battery and replace it with an AGM type battery. If you have a start stop system in any vehicle you should ONLY be using AGM.

OP
OP
Leeford

Leeford

Outer Banks
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco sport
sounds like he going POS to the BATT and the NEG to the chassis which according to CTEK is the proper way to connect with a BMS installed
That's exactly what I've been doing. I do this with my 2013 Escape also.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
one to the live the other to the ground pin on the frame. What is confusing is that I've never had any issue "topping" up the charge. There is four bars on the charger, 25,50,75 and 100. Usually starts off at 50 and charges to 100. In my case it never got past a solid 50 with he occasional blink at 75. I just took the car out for a drive and after a short warming up the engine message, the auto stop start worked...go figure. My battery was at 12.26v and 15.01 running.
If your battery is starting off at 50% charge its most likely going bad, unless you typically sit in the vehicle listening to the audio system for extended periods.

Also, if your battery is a standard lead acid type vs. AGM, they don't seem to hold up to the loads the BS electronics subjects the battery to.

When my original factory FoMoCo lead acid battery was on its way out, the auto start stop wouldn't function, I would also have random no start episode's and random messages in the dash display. I finally got the dealer to replace the battery under warranty, it was replaced with a Motorcraft AGM and for the past 6 months I have not had any issues.

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BS, '22 FE, '04 Audi TT, '66 Austin Moke
I also lose the auto stop/start with a lot of in-town driving. Comes back with a little more longer drives.

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
If you replace the battery, whether LA or AGM do you still have to have the battery monitoring system reset by the dealer or can that be done thru Sync?

On my now gone 2018 Escape, the dealer wanted over $100 to do it. I never did have it reset and never noticed any issues.

Sleddog

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Cactus Grey.
It should be reset to provide the battery monitor with the correct info.

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BS, '22 FE, '04 Audi TT, '66 Austin Moke
I would buy OBDLink EX and reset BMS myself for less than the dealer wants to charge

I let the dealer replace the battery on my '14 several years ago because they quoted a great price. Receipt didn't state BMS was reset. So, I did it myself just to be sure.
Sponsored