Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
4 weeks now with new BS BL. 30 minute drive... 105 degrees outside... A/C on... hit several stoplights... engine never stopped! Must have been too hot to engage.
The engine has to stay running to keep the A/C on. If it didn’t it would start to get pretty hot in you BS while sitting at traffic lights.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Leeford

Leeford

Outer Banks
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco sport
4 weeks now with new BS BL. 30 minute drive... 105 degrees outside... A/C on... hit several stoplights... engine never stopped! Must have been too hot to engage.
what's the voltage of the battery when turned off.

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Yeah. I drove only short trips and got the “Remote features off” message. The upside was the auto stop topped working. Now that I’m driving a few miles more each week I stopped getting the messsges and the stupid auto stop works! Now I am back to turning it off.

biglarrr

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Love it or hate it, I've notice that throughout the winter this option doesn't activate. Just curious when I read this message "engine on due to vehicle charging" is there
Ford Bronco Sport Auto Start Stop 20220312_122938
a issue I need to bring to my Ford dealer?
I think it's more a case of bad battery. My Stop/start quit working about six months after I got my Bronco Sport OB. I brought it to the dealer, and the first mechanic said "It doesn't work when it's cold. I confronted the Service Dept. Manager, and said that is not right. It seems like the mechanic didn't do any troubleshooting. This quit in August when temperatures were typical summer temps. He told me to bring it back because he knew of a few possible solutions including replacing a sensor on the battery, and running a software update that addresses the problem.
The next mechanic said the battery was at 50% and that he charged it and all was well. On the drive home the start/Stop did work.
In the meantime, I had read that ford had gotten a bad batch of batteries, and was replacing them when the problem came up. I figured if charging the battery was the issue, that I was going to have it again. I started a spread sheet to record resting voltage, and not much to my surprise, the battery was already down to 12.1 volts when I checked it that night. The next morning before taking it to the store, I checked it again, and it was down to 11.84.
I had to drive the car several miles before the Start/Stop started working.
I immediately checked the voltage when I got home and it was only 12.4 volts.
My local Ford dealer is not returning messages, and I really don't want to purchase a battery myself, since there may be something else that's causing the battery to drop overnight.

biglarrr

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Well in November my Ford dealer told me it was too cold.
There's a problem somewhere and it doesn't have to do with the weather.
Well - I'll qualify that by saying that the manual says if you have your defroster on, it won't work.

tjbronco

Big Bend
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport, 2020 Subaru Outback
My auto stop/start quit working when our temperatures dropped this fall. It hasn't worked since. The auto stop/start worked all last winter, spring and summer for me. I have tried turning off the climate controls completely, but it still does not function. I have a long commute (about 75 miles round trip - plus picking up kids, etc.). I will check my battery voltage - that is about the only thing I see on that list of requirements that I am not meeting.

OP
OP
Leeford

Leeford

Outer Banks
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco sport
This started up for me again, not working in the cold. This happened last year at the same time. Only difference now is that I ran the engine longer than usual do and it started to work. This tells me that when it gets cold the battery does drop a lot more for the state of charge to be up. This battery was replaced in the spring btw. I have not tested the battery but did buy a battery tender for the real cold nights.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
An untrained or not so smart mech at my dealer told me my 23 month old factory battery was at 99% and I had to push for a new one. Under factory warranty.
Resting VDC was 12.65 after a peak at 2 amps. and a day later was 12.4 and another day was 12.1 VDC
My remote start and stop/start were off line even after the peak charge and yes I connected vehicle side of the sate of battery voltage monitor when I peaked it.
My new battery peaked at 13.6 and after sitting two days was holding at 12.9 vdc.
Dealer tested at 99% seems to mean nothing.
Unlock my door to get something,
Headlight cooling fans come on.
Walk by my locked up BS with my keys in my pocket the thing wakes up. Walk up to it and fart,
Wait for it,,,,
HEAD LiGhT FaNs CoMe On !
Next battery will be an Interstate.
I’ll stick to what I know.
For what it’s worth auto stop/start was back at the stop sign leaving the dealer’s property.,,
I was right and they were wrong. Just trying to NOT hand out a new battery. ;’P
What did I learn from this ?
A Motorcraft battery that peaks on a 2 amp charge below 12.8 or 12.9 VDC is on its way out.
A new battery peaks at about
13.65 VOLTS !
Pay attention people, winter is approaching fast !
Ford MoCo diagnostics cannot spot a failing battery or my dealer needs better trained wrenches,
OR they are being instructed by the dealer staff to not put the customer first..😞

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
A Motorcraft battery that peaks on a 2 amp charge below 12.8 or 12.9 VDC is on its way out.
A new battery peaks at about
13.65 VOLTS !
Is your replacement the same battery as that installed at the factory?

Walk up to it and fart,
Wait for it,,,,
HEAD LiGhT FaNs CoMe On !
To be fair, if you walk up to me and fart I'm turning on some fans too...

Outback Texan

Badlands
First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I don't know about the 1.5L engine models, but in my Badlands, the auto-start is disabled while in Sport mode and when the outside temp is too hot.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Is your replacement the same battery as that installed at the factory?

To be fair, if you walk up to me and fart I'm turning on some fans too...
Yes it’s the exact same lowest cost Motorcraft battery that came from the factory but I must admit 700 CCA is not a bad spec.
And my Farts are always S. B. D’s
Uh that’s Silent but deadly to you uninitiated folks ;’P
Gas Gas Gas !!!
To those that know~
Sponsored