Anyone try snow chains on their Bronco Sport?

fdes

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Has anyone tried snow chains on their BS yet? I just read that snow chains are not recommended on BS with the 235/65r17 tires, but are a requirement in California mountain passes.
Sponsored

wilbur_xmas

Outer Banks
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
The dealer told us not to install chains during the purchase but I can't recall if that was due to the OB wheels or not. I've been all over the Sierras in my old QX4 4WD with 3PMSF tires and never had chain control do anything but wave me through after I hold up 4 fingers indicating 4WD unless the road was closed to all traffic.

OP
OP

fdes

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The dealer told us not to install chains during the purchase but I can't recall if that was due to the OB wheels or not. I've been all over the Sierras in my old QX4 4WD with 3PMSF tires and never had chain control do anything but wave me through after I hold up 4 fingers indicating 4WD unless the road was closed to all traffic.
Thanks, that’s a relief. I’ll probably pick up a set of low profile cable devices with the intention of never installing them. The whole chain thing is odd to me, I’m from Canada and we never put chains on our cars... Winter tires yes, but chains no.

wilbur_xmas

Outer Banks
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Yeah I've lived in Oregon too where they allow studded tires that they don't in California and never saw chains up there either. But go out to Tahoe or the Sierras on popular route on a busy winter storm weekend and you'll see that chains are pretty much reserved for the poor misguided individuals driving their 2WD cars on bald tires. Then you will quickly resent them as you are stuck behind them driving 20 mph on wet pavement while your Bronco Sport will happily cruise along at the speed limit in those conditions with winter tires. If you want to pick up chains then purchase them in the off season since they typically allow a return for unused chains, and then return them unused before the return window expires since you won't need them. If you wait until a storm hits then all chain purchases will be final and they'll be gathering dust until you sell them :wink:

broncobuster2550

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Something slow
Snow chain design was restricted to 10mm chains on the base 225/65R17 or 225/60R18 tires. Probably not a big deal if you use 6-10mm chains/cables on the 235 Falken tire and take it easy.

AltoAlto

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Focus

Have they done the same when you are in your Bronco Sport? The few times ive been with someone who had 4X4, CalTrans wanted to see the "button" engaged. I plan on picking up a set anyway - just because they require you to carry them.

SgtT11B

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL, 2020 Ford Mustang GT
If I recall correctly in california. If the tires are severe Snow rated along with four wheel drive you don't need chains.

wilbur_xmas

Outer Banks
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Have they done the same when you are in your Bronco Sport? The few times ive been with someone who had 4X4, CalTrans wanted to see the "button" engaged. I plan on picking up a set anyway - just because they require you to carry them.
The snow has been pretty sparse in the Sierras since we have had the BS, but on the one occasion we were up there and there was chain control they just waved us through.

Big Kahuna

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theshockleys.com
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F350, 2012 Nissan Rogue
I always tell my wife, if you get to a place that requires chains/cables on a 4WD/AWD, then you don't want to be driving any further.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
do you really get that much snow up there where chains are a requirement?
not doubting, just never seen or heard of anything like that before.

Tall Timbers

Badlands
First Name
Tall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands Bronco Sp, 23 Ford F150 Hybrid (order)
I own a set of chains for my Badlands but hope I never need to use them. I'm required to have them if I drive through Canada during the winter months.

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
If you have awd or 4wd you don't need chains. I did the pass in a snow storm, they offer tire chain rentals, will install and take off. They even have a checkpoint to make sure you are good to go... I did the pass in a WRX without chains.

AltoAlto

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Focus
If I recall correctly in California. If the tires are severe Snow rated along with four wheel drive you don't need chains.
That is normally the case. When things get to squirrely (the plows can't make it) they opt to just shutdown the pass. If I am remembering a Boy Scout trip from 15 years ago correctly, there are places/times Yosemite may require even M+S 4x4 vehicles run with chains.

The snow has been pretty sparse in the Sierras since we have had the BS, but on the one occasion we were up there and there was chain control they just waved us through.
Yeah, I wouldn't be going during a blizzard anyway whenever possible. I just recall there were times they actually verified.....really they should have closed Highway 50 by that point anyway.

I always tell my wife, if you get to a place that requires chains/cables on a 4WD/AWD, then you don't want to be driving any further.

This is very sound advice.....in fact imma write that down for later. lol

SgtT11B

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL, 2020 Ford Mustang GT
That is normally the case. When things get to squirrely (the plows can't make it) they opt to just shutdown the pass. If I am remembering a Boy Scout trip from 15 years ago correctly, there are places/times Yosemite may require even M+S 4x4 vehicles run with chains.

Yeah, I wouldn't be going during a blizzard anyway whenever possible. I just recall there were times they actually verified.....really they should have closed Highway 50 by that point anyway.

This is very sound advice.....in fact imma write that down for later. lol

Yea going through Big Bear and a storm with M&S with AWD/4WD chains were required. I had a 2017 Ford Escape AWD Titanium and we had to run chains even with the 19" wheels. It isn't recommended but drove real slow and there was no damage.

TravisPNW

Badlands
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I own a set of chains for my Badlands but hope I never need to use them. I'm required to have them if I drive through Canada during the winter months.
I pretty much stick to this side of the Cascades with no real reason to cross the passes… but there are a few ski resorts here in western Washington and Leavenworth is a town I’d love to check out in the winter… so now that I have my Badlands I’ll be getting a set.

From WA DOT:

Chains and alternatives
Those traveling into higher elevations should carry chains and have approved traction tires whenever winter weather is possible, especially Nov. 1 through March 31.

Studded tires do NOT satisfy state chain requirements; if chains are required, they'll have to installed on top of studded tires.

4WD/AWD and chains
4WD/AWD vehicles (under 10,000 pounds) do not need chains installed during "chains required" notices, but drivers still must carry chains with them in case conditions worsen and they're required to install chains during a "chains required on all vehicles" notice.

https://wsdot.com/travel/real-time/mountainpasses/tiresandchains
Sponsored