Anyone planning on doing 25k or 30k mile fluid flush?

PPR_Ricky

Big Bend
First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Hit 30K miles today and found time to change the PTU fluid. On the Badlands, you have to remove the PTU liquid cooler. There’s two bolts that connect the PTU cooler to the PTU. Once the bolts are removed, you can pull the PTU cooler out (have a drain pan ready, because the old PTU fluid will dump out). I clamped the two hoses that lead to the PTU cooler just in case, but I don’t think it’s necessary unless you remove the hoses. The fill plug is located on the passenger side of the PTU. It took about 3/4 quart of new fluid. ( Motorcraft SAE 75W-85 Premium Synthetic Hypoid Gear Lubricant).

The old fluid probably could have gone another 10-20k miles, as it was still liquid and not sludge. There were a ton of metallic shavings in the fluid though. Overall it took about 2 hours.
Hope this helps anyone with a Badlands, as most info online is for the air cooled PTU’s.

Ford Bronco Sport Anyone planning on doing 25k or 30k mile fluid flush? IMG_0767

Ford Bronco Sport Anyone planning on doing 25k or 30k mile fluid flush? IMG_0765

Ford Bronco Sport Anyone planning on doing 25k or 30k mile fluid flush? IMG_0766
Does the 1.5 also have PTU? I hit 21k on monday but I do go off-roading on weekends and now want to change that oil 😂
Sponsored

MDTX27

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Does the 1.5 also have PTU? I hit 21k on monday but I do go off-roading on weekends and now want to change that oil 😂
Yeah should be a much more straightforward process since the 1.5 doesn’t have the PTU cooler. Just a drain plug and fill plug.

PPR_Ricky

Big Bend
First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Yeah should be a much more straightforward process since the 1.5 doesn’t have the PTU cooler. Just a drain plug and fill plug.
Great! Thanks! So 75w-85? Also my BB is the “towing package” and they mentioned something about a cooler is that for the transmission?

MDTX27

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Great! Thanks! So 75w-85? Also my BB is the “towing package” and they mentioned something about a cooler is that for the transmission?
Motorcraft Premium Synthetic Hypoid Gear Lubricant SAE75W-85.
I’m pretty sure those with the tow package have a transmission cooler. Mine’s the non-tow package so I haven’t done much research into it.

mikldom

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks Edition, Area 51
Think about manufacturers service intervals and fluid changes this way. They are designed to get the vehicle to what they "think" it's service life is (150,000). Mainly cause they want to sell you a new vehicle.

If you're like me you'll want it to run forever. I admit and proud of my OCD and the proof is in the pudding. Currently have a 2015 Fiesta with 380,000 miles that runs like it's still new. Doesn't leak or burn oil and still 36 mpg. Ran a 09 Focus to 335k and it was perfect when I sold it. My 15 month old BS with the 1.5 is up to 57k miles and not a lick of issues. 4,000 mile full synthetic oil changes with Liquimoly for me. Dropped and changed PTU and Trans fluid at 30k and will do rear diff as soon as it warns up.

I do all my own maintenance mainly cause I am too cheap to pay someone to do what I'm perfectly capable of doing myself and cause I don't trust someone who may or may not care about their job or argued with their wife that morning. You do what your comfortable with. I do mine cause I run a thousand miles a week and completely dependent on my ride and it has to last till it's paid off. Everything else is a bonus

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
They are designed to get the vehicle to what they "think" it's service life is (150,000). Mainly cause they want to sell you a new vehicle.
Is this your opinion, or do you have and data to back this up? People used to say this all the time about cars in the 80s and 90s, except then the magic number was 100K. Why would manufacturers suddenly change from 100K to 150K?

mikldom

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is this your opinion, or do you have and data to back this up? People used to say this all the time about cars in the 80s and 90s, except then the magic number was 100K. Why would manufacturers suddenly change from 100K to 150K?
Certainly an opinion. But you see limited support as vehicles age. One thing that leads me to that assumption is fords maximum mileage for an ESP IS 150,000. Also, fairly rare these days to run across a good very high mileage vehicle. Careful maintenance by someone who cares is what it takes. Most of the public is not capable and frankly it‘s too expensive to pay others on an older high mileage vehicle. The opinion does have some sound reasoning behind it.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most of the public is not capable and frankly it‘s too expensive to pay others on an older high mileage vehicle.
So cars don't last because manufacturers design in obsolescence, or because people don't take proper care of them?

A brief search revealed several online sources that refute your opinion on the 150K number. Here's one from JD Power. I'd like to see data rather than speculation regarding manufacturer intent.

mikldom

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dude, this is no hill to die on. Get off your high horse. You don't have to prove your right or smarter than anyone else. I stated an opinion. Nothing more. I clarified it was my opinion. I bet you're the fun guy at parties.

Again, it's an opinion.

How many cars are in junkyards with less than 300k? From someone who goes I'll tell you (from observations), a bunch.

My point and I will stick by it is I do 4k changes and fluid changes. I do them myself. It's easy and affordable when you do them yourself. It's done right. If I can get a "throwaway" car to the extreme miles and more than (again, my observation) most, I am satisfied.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
i agree with the 4-5k oil changes but i get the dealer to do them for warranty, and straight up just because they have been an absolute gem to deal with #steeltownford (every second oil change is free).

i think these ecoboost run dirty so i prefer to change the fluids early.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dude, this is no hill to die on. Get off your high horse. You don't have to prove your right or smarter than anyone else. I stated an opinion. Nothing more. I clarified it was my opinion. I bet you're the fun guy at parties.
??? You can state an opinion but I can't? High horse indeed...

mikldom

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i agree with the 4-5k oil changes but i get the dealer to do them for warranty, and straight up just because they have been an absolute gem to deal with #steeltownford (every second oil change is free).
Andy, you're lucky. My experiences with dealerships is they are expensive.

But, properly documenting your self maintenance (easy to do in the Ford Pass app) will preserve your warranty. The law is on the side of the consumers here. You are able to do your own maintenance or pay someone else and still keep your warranty. They will not warranty a part or a repair they did not do, but your overall warranty is intact per the terms.

Hondo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Is anyone planning on doing 25k or 30k mile fluid flush? Radiator, transmission, etc etc.?
My dealership has a 30k mile recommended maintenance and outside of oil change, tire rotation, air filter, cabin filter, the remainder is fluid flushes. They have it marked at $1,000 and curious what others thoughts on flushing fluids at that mileage is.
This is my first brand new vehicle so I’ve never had to make these decisions this early on.

Hondo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Just had mine changed at 22,000 Badland 2.0L The shop was independent extensive ford PTU exp.
over the past 4 years he has maintained a fleet of ford Police Cruisers which initially had numerous
PTU failures He stopped using 75W-140 and sw to 75w-85. after installing new factory PTU's not a single failure has occurred in the last 4 years FYI the Cruisers have their PTU oil changed every 30k most have over 150K miles

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just had mine changed at 22,000 Badland 2.0L The shop was independent extensive ford PTU exp.
over the past 4 years he has maintained a fleet of ford Police Cruisers which initially had numerous
PTU failures He stopped using 75W-140 and sw to 75w-85. after installing new factory PTU's not a single failure has occurred in the last 4 years FYI the Cruisers have their PTU oil changed every 30k most have over 150K miles
Police vehicles operate under the very definition of severe duty.
Sponsored